This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] new to zorin os

pol1958

Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:26:17 am

just installed zorin.
easy to install, but when asked to re-start, it hung, maybe, just manually reboot it, it started no problem. i have a wireless mouse and kb, no problem. issue at the moment cant install my network printer, although it can see it, but no go. otherwise almost everything works. internet , sound, display no issue at the moment.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:11:35 am

Hi and welcome,

its an ongoing problem that Ubuntu never fixed, as long as you press and hold the power button for 4 seconds (soft power off), it will do no damage!.

What printer do you have?.

pol1958

Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:27:38 am

pol1958 wrote:just installed zorin.
easy to install, but when asked to re-start, it hung, maybe, just manually reboot it, it started no problem. i have a wireless mouse and kb, no problem. issue at the moment cant install my network printer, although it can see it, but no go. otherwise almost everything works. internet , sound, display no issue at the moment.

maybe you removed the cd before hitting the re-start key. because it happened to me as well but when i did my second install , i waited till i saw the message that you can remove the disk now.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:06:37 am

What printer do you have?. :D (I ask because you stated in the OP that your printer isn't working!).

pol1958

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:27:27 am

thanks for asking, i managed to install my BROTHER MFC-L2703DW without connecting it to the computer. one thing i learned with this linux commands is some are case sensitive e.g. folder names, and you do need a good eyesight, e.g. i was typing a series of command and i thought it was an letter l ,found out it was letter i , :).
anyway still playing with this zorin, and i found the response in terms of using the keyboard is quick compared to Linux mint, internet browsing is faster. last but not the least, can you give a good link how to tweak this zorin os 9.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:28:06 am

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:46:23 am

pol1958

Mon May 11, 2015 4:00:30 am

so far looking good, but another issues i have. if i have serveral tabs open using chrome, i noticed if i want to shut down my pc, it takes a while. first i tried to close the web browser, but the response is slow. is this a hardware issue or software? thanks for any input

Wolfman

Mon May 11, 2015 4:09:40 am

Hi,

try running this terminal command (Ctrl * Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Let us know if this helps, I cannot say whether it is hardware or software related, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

pol1958

Mon May 11, 2015 10:15:38 am

no, first time i read the advice. but i ll have do the update n upgrade first, see how i go.

pol1958

Wed May 20, 2015 11:23:01 am

wolfman,
i run that command you suggested and seems to behave well now...thanks, I dont need to re-install again but I have downloaded another copy, just in case.

Wolfman

Thu May 21, 2015 5:09:40 am

Hi pol1958,

I will mark this as solved unless you are still having problems?. :D

pol1958

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:18:38 am

this time i have installed zorin os on my lenovo laptop, everything went fine, and much better compared to windows 7 home premium, but not all well again. cannot access command sudo, due to password incorrect. i have followed the instruction on how to change password in recovery mode but still no luck...pls help again.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:44:29 am

Hi,

are you logging in as "Guest"?, if you are certain your PW is correct, at the login window, press the up/down arrow key and make sure your normal user name is showing!.

You can also try running "DPKG" per the update guide (Network cable connection required!):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247