This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Bugs in Zorin OS 12

shbd

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:22:54 am

Hi,

I am using Zorin OS 12 core for over a month now. Before that I was using Zorin 10.
There are multiple issues with it:
1. I can't create a shortcut on my desktop of my favorite progs.
2. The icons for all libre office files are blank rectangle. If I save them as docx, xlsx then it shows proper icons.
3. Icons for Thunderbird, evolution, geary all are same on the panel bar when saved as favorite there. Same is in the prog menu also.
4.I cant create a new user from the system settings. Only when I choose to add password later then it allows to create an user.
5. In the icons showing battery, it does not show the battery status (charging and discharging time) neither he power status (on battery or AC power). We have to click on it to see that.
6. When I open the laptop from hibernate, many times the icons or their captions are not visible or partially visible. Thus have to restart it.

These are few of the many issues I faced with zorin.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:53:40 pm

shbd wrote:Hi,

I am using Zorin OS 12 core for over a month now. Before that I was using Zorin 10.
2. The icons for all libre office files are blank rectangle. If I save them as docx, xlsx then it shows proper icons.
3. Icons for Thunderbird, evolution, geary all are same on the panel bar when saved as favorite there. Same is in the prog menu also.
4.I cant create a new user from the system settings. Only when I choose to add password later then it allows to create an user.
5. In the icons showing battery, it does not show the battery status (charging and discharging time) neither he power status (on battery or AC power). We have to click on it to see that.
6. When I open the laptop from hibernate, many times the icons or their captions are not visible or partially visible. Thus have to restart it.

In order of your list:

1. This is down in part to the way the Gnome Project has taken things forward - neither Gnome Shell or Unity in Ubuntu allows you to create desktop icons (presume they are adhering to the old adage 'Tidy Desk(top), Tidy mind' - DON'T LOOK AT MY PHYSICAL DESK! :lol: To get a shortcut there you have to open file explorer, Computer, usr, share, applications - then drag and drop the icon to the desktop. The 'solution' posted elsewhere on the internet is to create a custom launcher which takes even longer AND you need to know the '-U%' command for some apps - and I may have got that wrong way round.

2. I suspect that is a 'Paper' theming issue which is the theme that Zorin decided to use for its icon theme - you can change themes to Hicolor which may resolve your general icon issues - I think I did do a post about it somewhere on here in the feedback on Zorin 12 section.

3. As for 2.

4. If this is because you have autologin enabled, this could be why :?:

5. I haven't checked it out but go to the Gnome Extensions site - at this point I need to ask you have you install 'gnome-tweak-tool'? If not you won't be able to install Gnome Shell extensions - there might be a battery indicator that someone has created separate to the one provided by Zorin?

6. Does this help?
http://askubuntu.com/questions/61138/ho ... hell/61139

mdiemer

Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:21:11 pm

For shortcuts, I just put them on the panel. Just right click on the app (in the start menu) and choose "add to favorites." I have always preferred them on the panel, as they open with just one click.

shbd

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:05:50 pm

mdiemer wrote:For shortcuts, I just put them on the panel. Just right click on the app (in the start menu) and choose "add to favorites." I have always preferred them on the panel, as they open with just one click.

When I try to right click on the app, instead of getting a to do menu the app opens!

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:33:14 pm

shbd wrote:
mdiemer wrote:For shortcuts, I just put them on the panel. Just right click on the app (in the start menu) and choose "add to favorites." I have always preferred them on the panel, as they open with just one click.

When I try to right click on the app, instead of getting a to do menu the app opens!

When the app opens it places an icon in the panel - right-click it there and 'add to favourites' to keep it there. ;) :D

shbd

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:44:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
shbd wrote:Hi,

In order of your list:

1. This is down in part to the way the Gnome Project has taken things forward - neither Gnome Shell or Unity in Ubuntu allows you to create desktop icons (presume they are adhering to the old adage 'Tidy Desk(top), Tidy mind' - DON'T LOOK AT MY PHYSICAL DESK! :lol: To get a shortcut there you have to open file explorer, Computer, usr, share, applications - then drag and drop the icon to the desktop. The 'solution' posted elsewhere on the internet is to create a custom launcher which takes even longer AND you need to know the '-U%' command for some apps - and I may have got that wrong way round.

2. I suspect that is a 'Paper' theming issue which is the theme that Zorin decided to use for its icon theme - you can change themes to Hicolor which may resolve your general icon issues - I think I did do a post about it somewhere on here in the feedback on Zorin 12 section.

3. As for 2.

4. If this is because you have autologin enabled, this could be why :?:

5. I haven't checked it out but go to the Gnome Extensions site - at this point I need to ask you have you install 'gnome-tweak-tool'? If not you won't be able to install Gnome Shell extensions - there might be a battery indicator that someone has created separate to the one provided by Zorin?

6. Does this help?
http://askubuntu.com/questions/61138/ho ... hell/61139

Thank you so much for your prompt help. However, some more clarifications:
1. Linux applications are not as straight as windows. I cant figure out which file to drag and drop on desktop from the application folder.
2. & 3.Changing to hicolor solved the problem of mail apps but when it comes to libre office all files .ods, .odt, etc are simple rectangle only. whereas the same files when saved as .xlsx shows proper icons.
4.I am able to create new users now.
5.Will check it out
6.Any suggestions for my 6th question
7. Another thing is that when I right click on any apps in the start menu, instead of to do menu appearing, the app opens up.

shbd

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:51:07 pm

Also, we have cyberoam for internet browsing.
There are no ui available. I installed the client from terminal.
And when I try to login through the terminal it gives the following error:
ioctl: No such device
./crclient: Cannot Get Hardware Address

Any clue what to do.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:54:54 pm

OK which applications are you wanting shortcuts on the desktop for?

In respect of item 6 that thread link was the suggested way forward for you - that is why I posted it but only you can tell me if it helps if you follow the advice there.

With regards the right-click from the menu I haven't proposed that, mdiemer suggested that - I have only ever right-clicked the icon that appears in the panel when you open the app and then select 'add to favourites' - I can't be more clearer friend! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:36:30 pm

OK, this is what I did to rectify the blank ODT icons:

LibreOffice-Writer icon for libreoffice doc.jpg

right-click but hold it down then slide down to properties - I had the same issue as you where it opened the document initially. Click on the blank icon in the properties then it will open your home folder - click on 'other locations', then click on computer, then go to usr | share | icons - then choose 'scalable' then apps, then look for libreoffice-writer.svg. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:20:48 pm

Just to inform you I have just installed Voyager 16.04 LTS based on Xubuntu and that has the same issue - blank icons for LibreOffice. ;)

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:10:41 pm

New bug but related to Ubuntu 16.04 - to be accurate this is in relation to Zorin 12.1 - the Settings button disappeared on my Software Updater - the solution? I had to install Ubuntu-desktop which puts Unity DE in addition to Kodi, default, and Zorin DE! I think it is time that Zorin should do something radical - either move to Debian with XFCE like SolydX or Xubuntu like Voyager 16.04 LTS. I am losing it big time! :x :!:

Finston Pickle

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:49:20 pm

I installed Open Office - a bit of a slog - but better than Libre Office, as far as I am concerned.

It would be nice to have a guide on installing Open Office on Zorin 12 somewhere on this Forum - perhaps there is - but I never found it.

Open Office just seems to look and perform better (and attractive MS fonts seem to be standard).

No problem with icons either - they also do look better than the Libre Office ones.