This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 6 - When ?

NFFCReds1

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:30:45 pm

My long term preference, Linux-wise, has been Mint, but I love the semi Win7 'feel' and polish of Zorin, but without the hassles of the Redmond giant. I have been using Zorin for a few months as my main OS. However, I am put off by the lack of community and the lack of an upgrade following the base Ubuntu 11.10 update. With Mint I know that will be updated 4-8 weeks after an Ubuntu update. I'd like to know if there's any such cycle for Zorin.

Mint has relative longevity on its side. Is Zorin a long term project or just Mr Zorin's plaything for now. If I could be reassured I'd make the switch to Zorin permanently.

Kind Regards,

Barrie.
Torquay,
England.

Wolfman

Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:40:41 pm

Hi Barrie,

who knows, I was helping out on a website as mod and tried to login today but the site is no longer active, I more or less knew it was coming and thought it would run for a while.

You must not forget that a lot of people do things (like ZorinOS) as a hobby, I would say that it will around for sometime to come, it has a small user base with friendly helpers at hand!!.

So stick around mate, you are more than welcome!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

VanR

Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:28:11 am

I'm also wondering if there is an ETA on the next Zorin offering. It's been awful quiet. Does anyone have any word on Zorin OS 6?

craig10x

Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:15:51 pm

Yes they did...but they don't talk about what approach they are going to take in the release of Zorin 6....Are they going the linux mint route (gnome 3 shell with mintified extensions) or some other approach? Why do they keep this community "in the dark" ?

I think Zorin Os is a terrific project...however, the community activity is very light, unfortunately, and the developer doesn't update information about the project very frequently or answer any questions from the zorin community...That is why... as much as i like Zorin Os... i stay with using ubuntu and also linux mint...

AZorin

Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:15:00 pm

We apologize for keeping quiet about details of Zorin OS 6 as we are busy working on it and figuring out the exact route we will be taking in relation to the default User Interface.
We planned to release Zorin OS 6 by the end of this year but unfortunately this release is likely be delayed due to some technical difficulties.
At the moment we can disclose to you that we will not be using Unity or GNOME Shell as we will be creating our own desktop session called "Zorin Session". With Zorin Session we will try to keep things as familiar and comfortable as possible. We will be using the GNOME 3 software (Nautilus, GNOME Control Center, Empathy, etc.) but the desktop UI will feature a dock in panel mode and desktop icons (Computer, Home folder, Trash) as before. Currently AWN is our choice but the indicator-applet doesn't work well with it. If you would be able to help fix this problem please visit this page for details: https://bugs.launchpad.net/awn-extras/+bug/871253 . The start menu program may also change as GnoMenu (the program we have always used for the start menu) was broken due to the menu changes in GNOME 3. This causes the menu to crash anytime you want to view the programs. If this problem is not fixed in the near future we may be using Cardapio.
These are the main technical issues that are stopping us from releasing Zorin OS 6. We would greatly appreciate any suggestions or help in resolving the above issues.
In the mean time we will be releasing Zorin OS 5.2 next week.

craig10x

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:36:13 pm

Thank you for the update, Zorin...that was very informative about the direction you are taking with Zorin Os :)

He has to go with gnome 3 of course, because gnome 2 is now defunct and applications and programs are all designed around the new gnome...what i believe he is saying is although it will be gnome 3, he is not going to be using unity or gnome shell approach but his own alternative...

craig10x

Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:10:15 pm

yeah...the "gist" of it i got, swarf, was gnome 3 apps and settings like you find in current ubuntu...but desktop with probably that other menu he mentioned (since gnomenu doesn't seem to work in gnome 3) i checked it out, it has a search function and lists similar (but a bit different) then gno menu...
and there would be an "awn docky" on the bottom...so that will give it a more "mac-like look" i would think ;)

soooo...different then before (since that won't carry over into gnome 3) but still pretty comfortable and easy to use :)
a bit different approach then mint's but interesting nonetheless... 8-)

kairomatrix

Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:51:06 am

Hi friends....is very interesting all the information revealed today....but i have an iquietude ,, which kernel will be using zorin 6 if finally is launched? the 3.1.1? [ latest stable ]

VanR

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:20:13 am

Great. I'm looking forward to what the guys cook up. A new Desktop Environment. I like the sound of that. Right now I'm trying out the new Mint 12 with the new MSGE and Mate DE's. So this sounds similar.

madvinegar

Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:50:57 am

For users with 5.1, could they update to 5.2 or should they do a clean install?

Wolfman

Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:47:52 pm

I would wait for Zorin 6, that way you can kill two birds with one stone!!. The kernel would be (I assume) from the 3.x.x range!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

craig10x

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:25:55 pm

Yes it would be....3.2.10 is the last update i got on my ubuntu 11.10, and that is what Zorin 6 would be based on...
Zorin 6 should be very interesting with kernel 3 and gnome 3 with a new menu and mac like docky on the bottom...hope he can get it out before the end of the year as i am looking forward to checking it out... :)

Wolfman

Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:23:57 pm

:D Me too !! :D

VanR

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:52:46 pm

Might bring me back to Zorin from Debian testing (LMDE).

madvinegar

Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:56:19 am

I suppose that as regards the look, you can easily create a MAC look with Zorin 5.1 or 5.2.

See a picture of my desktop. I have zorin 5.2. I have the gnome look but with the lower bar deleted, the upper bar to autohide and I have also installed the cairo dock (and 1-2 screenlets).

Is this how zorin 6 will look like?
And one other thing. Will zorin 6 be only about a change in looks or will be bug-free, more stable and more easy to use? Because, if it is only about the looks, as I said before, zorin 5.1. or 5.2 are very customizable so you can get whaterver look you like.

craig10x

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:33:25 pm

Zorin 6 will be based on ubuntu 11.10 which has gnome 3 and newer kernels as well...It won't have unity like ubuntu but rather a modified gnome 3 shell (much as Linux Mint has done with version 12)...i think he is aiming for a slab type menu and awn type dock...at least that was what he mentioned...so, more then just a cosmetic change...he didn't say when he expects it to come out though...and i haven't seen him post any update on that...

craig10x

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:16:44 pm

Well, that is based on mint 11 which was still gnome 2....Zorin 6 will be like Mint 12....gnome 3 shell with extensions (they call it MGSE) for a more conventional type of desk top...It's really not practical for newer distros to remain on gnome 2 as it is no longer being supported...I'm a bit surprised they went with mint 11 on that distro...

Wolfman

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:03:10 pm

I tried Mint 12 out, there are no extensions that I could find, in fact; I could not even add an icon to the desktop or panels!!.

The new Gnome3 has taken many steps backwards in my opinion!!. :(

VanR

Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:15:01 am

Bunches of extensions here.

https://extensions.gnome.org/

craig10x

Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:24:07 pm

Yep...that is the new "one click install" gnome 3 extensions website...after installing mint 12 (which of course already has the mint extensions enabled) i went to that site and added the "autohide top panel" extension...which works great and gave me back the top space on my web page (mint is using 2 panels for mint 12 though mint 13 will be back to the old one panel on bottom arrangement and with a further enhanced version of the new mint menu)...

Since Zorin would be using gnome 3 shell with extensions also....you should be able to do add extensions from that site for Zorin as well...
Tip: If you are going to use that site: only Firefox will work right now...Chrome web browser is not working on it at present (it's a bug they have to fix)...

Wolfman... thanks to extensions, gnome 3 shell will continue to get better and better in terms of flexibility...you have to keep in mind it is very young... ;)
When gnome 2 first came out...it wasn't anything like it ended up as it developed over time...so, the same holds true with gnome 3....

Wolfman

Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:27:59 am

craig10x wrote:
Wolfman... thanks to extensions, gnome 3 shell will continue to get better and better in terms of flexibility...you have to keep in mind it is very young... ;)
When gnome 2 first came out...it wasn't anything like it ended up as it developed over time...so, the same holds true with gnome 3....

craig10x,

I know what you mean but I am an impatient git at the best of times, if a Linux dev tells me he/she have developed the best thing since sliced bread"; I expect it to work for me, out-of-the-box!!.

If the Linux world is to grow, it must work and not hinder people from carrying out simple tasks, Gnome 3 will in time become very usable, I never understand the need to rush out a distro just to say "Look what I have done". I would rather wait a while and have a distro that works for me!!.

VanR

Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:25:50 pm

I ran LM12 for a couple of weeks. What I ended up doing was deleting the bottom panel , autohiding the top panel, and installing a dock. Cairo-dock, docky, AWN take your pick. I normally don't use a dock, but with Gnome 3 (gnome-shell) it works better for me.

craig10x

Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:09:05 pm

Hmmm...very interesting set up you did on mint 12 VanR ;)

Agree...docky's actually aren't bad to use....well maybe that is because i spent some time using Macs after i dumped windows but before discovering Linux...so using one is quite familiar to me :lol:

I think Zorin is going to have a docky on bottom...i guess the slab menu will be on top with upper panel....of course, i would imagine one could auto-hide it if they want (using the gnome 3 extension) and do everything through the docky too...

I understand what you are saying Wolfman...but with linux they have to come out with things and then improve them as they go along...it works a bit different then with windows ;)

VanR

Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:20:32 pm

Actually if you install cairo-dock on LM12 (and maybe others) you can log-in to a separate cairo-dock session. So on LM12 you can choose Gnome-shell, gnome fallback session, MATE, or cairo-dock. I found that handy. I'm back to using Zorin OS 5 for the time being. I found LM12 still too buggy.

Obsidian1723

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:15:59 pm

craig10x wrote:Yes they did...but they don't talk about what approach they are going to take in the release of Zorin 6....Are they going the linux mint route (gnome 3 shell with mintified extensions) or some other approach? Why do they keep this community "in the dark" ?

I think Zorin Os is a terrific project...however, the community activity is very light, unfortunately, and the developer doesn't update information about the project very frequently or answer any questions from the zorin community...That is why... as much as i like Zorin Os... i stay with using ubuntu and also linux mint...

I have to agree with this is as well.

I've been sticking with Ubuntu 10.04LTS and will continue to do so until April 2013 when support for it ends along with gnome 2 support. It's my hope that by then, MATE and Mint Gnome Shell Extensions, along with Gnome 3, that all three projects will have had the time ti mature into viable, usable projects.

Also, I recommend reading this earlier posting of mine..... viewtopic.php?f=12&t=946

Obsidian1723

Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:20:01 pm

craig10x wrote:Well, that is based on mint 11 which was still gnome 2....Zorin 6 will be like Mint 12....gnome 3 shell with extensions (they call it MGSE) for a more conventional type of desk top...It's really not practical for newer distros to remain on gnome 2 as it is no longer being supported...I'm a bit surprised they went with mint 11 on that distro...

I'd really like to see Linux Mint Debian Edition getthe MGSE + Gnome 3 + MATE and have Zorin OS 6 based off of it - or at least Linux Mint 12 (DVD Edition with all of the Codecs)

VanR

Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:43:00 am

Frankly I would like to see that too, but I fear LMDE is going to go the way of the dodo. No updates for months now as Clem is holding them back until Gnome 3.2 hits Debian testing. Then I believe he is going to port MATE and MGSE to LMDE. People on the LM forum are getting antsy wanting updates now though. I really liked LMDE. In fact I still have a copy on VM. But like a lot of folks I want the newest and brightest software and LMDE with it's update pack system isn't getting any updates for now.

Obsidian1723

Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:30:34 am

VanR wrote:Frankly I would like to see that too, but I fear LMDE is going to go the way of the dodo. No updates for months now as Clem is holding them back until Gnome 3.2 hits Debian testing. Then I believe he is going to port MATE and MGSE to LMDE. People on the LM forum are getting antsy wanting updates now though. I really liked LMDE. In fact I still have a copy on VM. But like a lot of folks I want the newest and brightest software and LMDE with it's update pack system isn't getting any updates for now.

I think that it's too soon to judge - or jump ship yet.

I still run Lucid and can until April 2013 and still get updates.

Gnome 3, MATE, and Unity are all immature.

I hear good things about Gnome 3.4 which is in the works.

Time will tell. It's not critical that everyone must switch NOW.

Wolfman

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:19:49 am

Obsidian1723 wrote:
VanR wrote:Frankly I would like to see that too, but I fear LMDE is going to go the way of the dodo. No updates for months now as Clem is holding them back until Gnome 3.2 hits Debian testing. Then I believe he is going to port MATE and MGSE to LMDE. People on the LM forum are getting antsy wanting updates now though. I really liked LMDE. In fact I still have a copy on VM. But like a lot of folks I want the newest and brightest software and LMDE with it's update pack system isn't getting any updates for now.

I think that it's too soon to judge - or jump ship yet.

I still run Lucid and can until April 2013 and still get updates.

Gnome 3, MATE, and Unity are all immature.

I hear good things about Gnome 3.4 which is in the works.

Time will tell. It's not critical that everyone must switch NOW.

On my play notebook; I just installed Lubuntu, although it is nowhere near as good as Gnome, it does have a certain attraction, it is simple and basic but still functional, PinguyOS is holding a light to most of the newer distros because it has kept a mixture of both the old Gnome and the new!!.

I think that Zorin should hold back until Gnome 3 matures; which I am quite sure that it will quickly, I want my OS to be simple and functional, this is not what is happening with most distros based on the new Gnome 3. The user has far too little control over the OS, the OS in fact; has control over the user!!.

craig10x

Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:36:13 pm

Mint 12 using it's MGSE extensions has actually made gnome 3 shell quite simple and easy (and conventional...lol) to use...I'm sure Zorin will do a similar job with version 6...He can't really keep it on gnome 2 because ubuntu 11.10 is gnome 3 and things would get very messed up if he tried to do that... :lol:
And if he waits for gnome 3 to "mature" you could be waiting 6 months to a year or more for a new version of Zorin! ;)

craig10x

Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:27:25 pm

By the way...not sure if Zorin is aware of this or not...but i understand that there IS a gnome 3 shell extension that moves the top panel to the bottom....using that, it would be possible for Zorin to continue the "traditional style" Zorin desktop, with just a bottom panel and slab menu for that "windows 7 like" experience...He could actually do that instead of having a top panel with slab menu and awn type docky on bottom...Just a suggestion as he prepares the next release of Zorin.... ;)

Wolfman

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:07:29 pm

Hi Craig,

have a look at PinguyOS, he has done an excellent job in my opinion!!.

craig10x

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:48:41 am

I'll take a look, wolfman ;)
And swarf...yes that is true, although there is a slab menu called "cardiopia" or something like that, that Zorin mentioned he was considering using...not exactly the same but similar concept... :) and that is supposed to work in gnome 3 i believe...

VanR

Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:43:50 am

Looks like the Zorin guys could think about using Gnome 3 and the new Cinnamon Desktop Environment that Clem over at Linux MInt has developed. Looks interesting. Of course they could add their own unique Zorin touch and color scheme to it.

craig10x

Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:05:34 pm

Yes....you know actually that would be the best approach :)
I was using MGSE on Mint 12....but installed the alpha of Cinnamon on it (available in it's package manager now) and even though it doesn't have all the features and flexibility yet (they will be sent down in newer versions through the update manager) i love it already....It will also be the default "session" in Linux Mint 13... ;)

craig10x

Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:03:07 pm

I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been any announcements on the plans for a Zorin 6....Ubuntu 11.10 has been out since October and here it is almost February already...i know it's a transitional period and the delay was probably caused by indecision on which way to go with gnome 3 adoption but still, surely they must have decided by now...how about an announcement...Zorin?

I've been using the new Cinnamon desktop in Linux Mint 12 and it is terrific...beats them all (including mint's original MGSE version)...it is going to be the default in Mint 13...

madvinegar

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:41:45 pm

swarfendor437 wrote: for some bizarre reason I am drawn to Pantheon desktop with Launchpad - and no I am not an I-pad or Mac fanboy!

+100000000000
Me too.
And to be honest, I prefer the zorin guys to take it slowly and present Zorin 6 when they are completely sure that everyhting will work perfectly, than to rush getting out Zorin 6 just to follow the timing of other distros, and the result to be problematic.

As we say in Greece, "the good thing takes time to be prepared"... :D

craig10x

Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:29:47 pm

Not familiar with the one you mentioned...but Cinnamon brings the more conventional desktop experience (like you have had in your current Zorin) to gnome 3..and has the one panel on bottom and slab menu like you are accustomed to with Zorin and since Zorin is supposed have a windows-ish look to attract them over, it would seem to be the ideal solution for him...And the theme could be customized a more Zorin type look...so it would seem like a simple solution...

And each new version of Cinnamon brings in new features and flexibility...and it is already stable and works very smooth and snappy...i wouldn't judge just by a video you saw...you kind of have to "work with it" for awhile. If he used it, Zorin could include a "ppa" so that you'd get automatic updates for the Cinnamon desktop...

There are also many attractive optional Themes available for it (see the Cinnamon blog page for some examples)...

But if you are talking about a desktop that is more radical...like gnome 3's shell design or ubuntu's unity...well that's a different story ;)

Still..i don't see how a more tablet looking interface would draw in the "windows users" to Zorin....

Wolfman

Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:15:12 am

Zorin 6 is delayed due to problems getting it the way the devs want it.

They will keep you all posted as to when it will be available.

blfriis

Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:21:13 pm

In ubuntu I can download a daily build of the next release is that possible with zorin-os..

Wolfman

Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:28:31 pm

blfriis wrote:In ubuntu I can download a daily build of the next release is that possible with zorin-os..

Hi blfrils,

Zorin doesn't have the resources at its disposal like Ubuntu does, so the only ISO you can download are the ones posted and they should be stable!!.

Wolfman

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:27:57 am

AZorin wrote:We apologize for keeping quiet about details of Zorin OS 6 as we are busy working on it and figuring out the exact route we will be taking in relation to the default User Interface.
We planned to release Zorin OS 6 by the end of this year but unfortunately this release is likely be delayed due to some technical difficulties.
At the moment we can disclose to you that we will not be using Unity or GNOME Shell as we will be creating our own desktop session called "Zorin Session". With Zorin Session we will try to keep things as familiar and comfortable as possible. We will be using the GNOME 3 software (Nautilus, GNOME Control Center, Empathy, etc.) but the desktop UI will feature a dock in panel mode and desktop icons (Computer, Home folder, Trash) as before. Currently AWN is our choice but the indicator-applet doesn't work well with it. If you would be able to help fix this problem please visit this page for details: https://bugs.launchpad.net/awn-extras/+bug/871253 . The start menu program may also change as GnoMenu (the program we have always used for the start menu) was broken due to the menu changes in GNOME 3. This causes the menu to crash anytime you want to view the programs. If this problem is not fixed in the near future we may be using Cardapio.
These are the main technical issues that are stopping us from releasing Zorin OS 6. We would greatly appreciate any suggestions or help in resolving the above issues.
In the mean time we will be releasing Zorin OS 5.2 next week.

Hi azorin,

how is the developing coming along?, there are a few anxious people waiting for the next version of Zorin (Session).

Wolfman

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:54:37 am

Hi swarf,

thanks for the heads-up, I must admit, I never look at the blog page!!.

AZorin

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:41:04 pm

We would like to share some information about the progress on the development of Zorin OS 6 to clear up some uncertainty among the community.
We will be releasing the release candidates of Zorin OS 6 Lite and Lite Educational shortly.
Unfortunately Zorin OS 6 Core, Educational and the Premium releases (Ultimate, Multimedia, Business and Gaming) are unlikely to be released in the near future. This is due to the radical changes made in Ubuntu 11.10, our base system for Zorin OS 6. As GNOME 3 has been adopted in this release many of the integral programs relating to the graphical user interface that we have been using in earlier releases of Zorin OS, have been made redundant and unusable because of these changes. As keeping a familiar Windows-like interface to make Zorin OS easy to use is our main goal, we are developing our own desktop environment to try to keep things as familiar to previous releases of Zorin OS as possible while also embracing the new desktop technologies such as the GNOME 3 software stack. We do not plan to use the Unity or GNOME Shell desktop environments in Zorin OS 6.
We are unfortunately facing some critical bugs caused by the radical changes in Ubuntu 11.10 which we are still working on. Unfortunately we cannot give you a time-frame for this release as we are facing major difficulties in fixing these bugs.

Obsidian1723

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30:18 am

I've been absent lately due to some family (and other time-related_ issues.

Be that as it may, my mainstay is Lucid (Ubuntu 10.04.4LTS) until it goes EOL. I also use CentOS and Debian (for servers mainly), and as of late, Linux Mint. I believe Debian is going to Gnome 3 and I'm not sure about CentOS. Linux Mint's Cinnamon is a conceptual-fork off of MATE ( mate-desktop.org ) and it's its own DE (Desktop Environment) versus a Gnome 3 fork. I personally like Gnome 2 best and would like to see the same features available in Gnome 3, but that won't happen any time soon. Cinnamon can be installed on Fedora, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and even Zorin. The Zorin team may want to fork Cinnamon, I don't know; but I do know that the DE in the FOSS world is a bloody mess right now. Fedora is even going to leave X behind in exchange for moving over to Wayland in Fedora 17 (so the rumor goes).

Compiz is dead (except for Ubuntu if you use Unity), so there's many changes in many distros right now, but it will settle down in a bit I'm sure.

Zorin may not have Canonical behind it or have the large community of Linux Mint, and while in some ways that is a bad thing, because Zorin is such a small community, devs can be big fish in a smaller pond and have a larger impact on the whole.

Stay tuned :)

madvinegar

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:54:50 am

AZorin wrote:We would like to share some information about the progress on the development of Zorin OS 6 to clear up some uncertainty among the community.
We will be releasing the release candidates of Zorin OS 6 Lite and Lite Educational shortly.
Unfortunately Zorin OS 6 Core, Educational and the Premium releases (Ultimate, Multimedia, Business and Gaming) are unlikely to be released in the near future. This is due to the radical changes made in Ubuntu 11.10, our base system for Zorin OS 6. As GNOME 3 has been adopted in this release many of the integral programs relating to the graphical user interface that we have been using in earlier releases of Zorin OS, have been made redundant and unusable because of these changes. As keeping a familiar Windows-like interface to make Zorin OS easy to use is our main goal, we are developing our own desktop environment to try to keep things as familiar to previous releases of Zorin OS as possible while also embracing the new desktop technologies such as the GNOME 3 software stack. We do not plan to use the Unity or GNOME Shell desktop environments in Zorin OS 6.
We are unfortunately facing some critical bugs caused by the radical changes in Ubuntu 11.10 which we are still working on. Unfortunately we cannot give you a time-frame for this release as we are facing major difficulties in fixing these bugs.

No need to rush things. Take your time to prepare a very stable, beautiful and easy-to-use release.
We are extremely satisfied with the 5.2 version, so it's not like we are eager to leave it behind.

Keep up the good work!

craig10x

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:12:12 am

I've been using ubuntu 11.10 for some time and got use to unity after awhile and actually like it very much now (though at the beginning i wasn't so sure i would)
but i kept an open mind and it worked out pretty good...

To clarify a point someone posted prior to this, they mentioned that Cinnamon desktop in Linux Mint is a fork of gnome 2 and Mate ....no...that is not the case, actually, it is a fork of the gnome 3 shell...it's an actual re-design of the shell that is the interface of gnome 3, sort of similar to the way ubuntu created unity...
Instead of using gnome 3 shell with extensions to modify things, it's actual modifications of the shell itself....

It sounds to me from Zorin's comments that he is doing something along those lines, in order to keep a windows kind of look to Zorin (like previous editions) but running on gnome 3 of course...

Wolfman

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:35:22 am

Hi chaps,

I would be happy if the devs came up with something like Voyager Linux, it is XFCE based and is a nice OS!!.

http://voyager.legtux.org/

Its in French (the website) but you can translate it if you like!!.

amicus

Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:41:49 pm

I'm new to Zorin so how does one find out which version one has?

madvinegar

Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:52:06 pm

Open a terminal and write

Code:
cat /etc/*-release

You will get a result like the following:

Code:
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=natty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Zorin OS 5.2"

todoes

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:09:40 pm

Hi everyone.

I install Zorin 6 core. Next, in the terminal, I use "update-manager-d" for upgrade to beta ubuntu 12.04. Zorin 6 no problems detected so far. i think what not it's excellent solution, but Zorin it's great.

todoes

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:10:38 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:You cannot have Core - it is not out yet - you either have Lite or Educational version - I would advise not to update to any beta in case of potential crashes / loss of data!

Yes, excuse me, it's Lite. And i understand what ubuntu beta, and Zorin in particular it's not to blame for my actions... I have a webcam creative with driver problems, but my solution it's 12.04. I'm looking forward Zorin 6.02 (12.04 / 2 = 6.02) :mrgreen: "Not it's half, is the better"

madvinegar

Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:02:47 am

Ubuntu 12.04 final release is expected end of this April. Do we have any (aproximate) estimated date for the release of Zorin 6?

todoes

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:19:09 pm

This is my case:

I have problems with Creative Live Cam IM (VF0260) in Skype Linux. The kernel of Ubuntu 11.10 and Ubuntu 12.04 it's the best solution for this camera, but Skype installer (or your dependences) it's a great problem. My solution: I install Zorin-OS Lite (thanks, it's basic, it's very very fast with 512 MB :D ), update-manager -d (i wait for zorin 6.02 Lite inspired in Lubuntu 12.04 :lol: ), I install my basics applications, and Skype it's the last application. And ;) My webcam work very good with LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

I think what problem it's with dbus or qt dependences, but i don't know.

Thanks Zorin :D

Excuse me my english

manyquestions

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:14:21 pm

I would like to know too, but I guess as a general rule maybe some time has to pass even after the stable release of Ubuntu, as there may still be some refinements? If we can get an official statement for a ballpark idea..

madvinegar

Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:22:13 pm

Indeed it would be nice to have an update from the devs. :D

madvinegar

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:14:41 pm

No pressure. Just an update to keep the fans warm! :D

todoes

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:32:54 am

In my case, Zorin 6.0 Core Lite upgrade 12.04 it's most fast what Lubuntu 12.04 :ugeek: but i wait for new Zorin ;)

iTheMaster

Mon May 14, 2012 12:40:43 pm

I.Can't.Stand.The.Wait.Any.Longer!!!

To be red as dramatic as possible :P

Any info (except "this month") would be great. Can't we at least know a relative date? :(

Wolfman

Mon May 14, 2012 1:08:53 pm

iTheMaster wrote:I.Can't.Stand.The.Wait.Any.Longer!!!

To be red as dramatic as possible :P

Any info (except "this month") would be great. Can't we at least know a relative date? :(

hi,

it is being tested and we will all have to wait until it is cleared for release, please be patient or would you prefer another "Coffee Coaster", all good things come to those who wait!! :D :D

iTheMaster

Mon May 14, 2012 4:25:57 pm

But I don't wanna!! :((

That one should be red in a spoiled-child's voice. :D

To be sincere I am a KDE guy, so Kubuntu does the job for me perfectly. BUT! But Zorin has a special place in my heart and that's why i go to distrowatch every day and here as well... Last edition was a 10 out of 10 and IG made [a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHCDU-CUoaQ"]a great review[/a] of it because it was worth it.

Wolfman

Mon May 14, 2012 4:32:03 pm

Now stop screaming or you'll go to bed with no supper!! :D

Mr Z is working day and night (well he'd better be) to make sure that it is working correctly once released, as I stated before, you don't want another coffee coaster do you!!.

iTheMaster

Mon May 14, 2012 6:00:29 pm

Coffee coaster? I use a flash drive for my installs :P

But I understand. Over the last 3 years I've learned to appreciate the value of a distro that takes it's time before it is released. Actually, as a future marine officer, I should know what patience is. Days on sea are loooooooooongggggg........ :)

Wolfman

Mon May 14, 2012 6:12:13 pm

Hi,

don't forget, this is an LTS version, so taking a few more days or weeks is no real biggy. (5 years of support)

It is imprtant to get it right at the beginning otherwise there will be cries from the community that it is c*** etc!!.

There are a good number of "How-To's" which people should get in the habit of checking before they post; because often, the answer to their problem is already available!!. There will be new How-To's for the new system but the principals are still the same as any other Ubuntu based OS!!.

I will have to learn it like everyone else and find my way around, it is different let me tell you that!!. (My lips are sealed at the mo because Mr Z doesn't want info leaking out when it is not ready; so please understand that!)

Good luck with your naval career :D

frits

Tue May 15, 2012 6:47:21 pm

Well, I am curious. :roll:

Tried Mint 13 Cinnamon RC 32 bit Live USB today and it is still a little sluggish on my Netbook compared to Zorin 5 Live USB (I am using it now while I am on the forum). So look forward to try Zorin 6 to compare and make a definite choice then. :)

Wolfman

Tue May 15, 2012 8:35:44 pm

Hi Frits,

most netbooks only have a 1.6 Atom CPU and 1 or if you are lucky; 2 GB RAM!!!.

Minimum for Ubuntu 12.04:

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/installat ... reqts.html

Linux Mint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint ... quirements

frits

Wed May 16, 2012 7:01:00 pm

Okay, makes me even more curious for the new Zorin. :D

craig10x

Sat May 19, 2012 9:38:42 pm

Where can i let Zorin know about the bugs i found? I have been running the live session of the Zorin 6 RC today and found a few i would like to let him know about...Other the those it was really nice and a great job i must say ;)

I am currently using ubuntu 12.04 with both unity and cinnamon session...but this is awfully tempting...looks great and pretty smooth too for a release candidate (except for a few problems)...

I'll mention the problems here so anyone who has actually installed it can tell me if it is just bugs in the live session or also appearing on the actual install:

1) The time is not displayed in the bottom panel

2) Looks Changer doesn't seem to work if you try to switch away from the default look

3) I tried shrinking the icons on the panel (using the awn settings that come up when you right click the panel) it is defaulted to 32 pixels but does not shrink the icons when you lower the pixel setting....also i was wondering, when the the pixels are reduced, would it also shrink the height of the panel? I am hoping the answer is yes because i'd like the panel to be shorter in height so as to take up less web browsing "real estate" space....

So if i could get feedback on the three bugs i have noticed, and also where to contact zorin to report the bugs...

craig10x

Sun May 20, 2012 12:56:59 am

Thanks buddy :)
I must say i am rather impressed...the looks, desktop effects, everything is really nice.... ;)
I took your suggestion and pm'ed him about the items i noticed....

One thing, though...do you have it installed? I was just wondering when you go to the awn settings by right clicking the lower panel, if you put in a smaller pixel number where it says "Icons size" does the panel get smaller in height as well as the icons in size? (assuming you have it working on your install)...

Also, if anyone else has Zorin 6 RC installed, perhaps they could also comment on this...

Thanks again and nice to be back...I actually like unity but i do kind of appreciate the old way desk top environment too and i am being tempted back to going with either mint 13 or Zorin 6...probably "edging" a bit more toward Zorin after checking it out today :lol:

kairomatrix

Sun May 20, 2012 1:06:35 am

hi a question.... in the case i download zorin 6 and install this rc .... more late i can update to zorin 6 final? [ on other word] when this final is available but direct "update" from the installed rc 6? or i will need a fresh zorin 6 installation?

Wolfman

Sun May 20, 2012 5:29:27 am

Hi kairomatrix,

you will have to re-install but you might get away without formatting your home folder, you can only try it and see, if you have problems after the installation of the final; you might well have to do a complete install again!!.

@craig,

did you check out this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2054

frits

Sun May 20, 2012 11:30:02 am

Why? Is a completely updated RC not a final at the end? :?:

frits

Sun May 20, 2012 1:30:17 pm

Perfect :D

VanR

Sun May 20, 2012 11:44:57 pm

I was all set to install the new Zorin OS 6, but I see that once again the 64-bit users have to wait. I wonder why just once we can't get our version first and let the 32'ers wait a while? Anyway I'll download it and try it a while.

VanR

Mon May 21, 2012 2:29:01 am

swarfendor437 wrote:
VanR wrote:I was all set to install the new Zorin OS 6, but I see that once again the 64-bit users have to wait. I wonder why just once we can't get our version first and let the 32'ers wait a while? Anyway I'll download it and try it a while.

Don't forget - some of us have to use legacy dongles! - and they will definitely NOT work on 64-bit! ;)

OK that's fine, but it seems like every time the 64 bit folks have to be the last ones. Why can't we get ours first for a change? And let the 32-bit folks wait? One distro I have been using some has been promising a 64-bit version since March. Still hasn't delivered. I move on. I didn't build a quad-core machine with 8 GB of RAM to run a 32-bit distro. 64-bit is the future. I'm not trying to complain, just making an observation. I used to use Zorin 5 quite a bit, but moved over to Debian after Zorin didn't produce a 11.10 distro. So now I'm back to see what the deal is. I downloaded and ran the Zorin OS 6 32-bit live and I liked it pretty good. But I've got some major hardware upgrades coming in the mail in the next few days and I need to settle on a new distro in the next couple of days.

frits

Tue May 22, 2012 4:46:21 pm

Looking at the problems there are with the RC I will wait until the final comes out. ;)

z06gal

Tue May 29, 2012 1:51:54 am

Looking forward to checking out the 64bit Final when it is released. I absolutely love that you are using awn for the pane ;)

z06gal

Tue May 29, 2012 8:15:45 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
z06gal wrote:Looking forward to checking out the 64bit Final when it is released. I absolutely love that you are using awn for the pane ;)

Glad you are enjoying it - and good to see some female users on here! (guessing from the Username - or is that a clever bluff! :D )

You would be correct :mrgreen: I saw a post by Craig over on the Mint forums and really like what I saw on the you tube review. You really have a great looking distro and I am psyched about installing when the 64bit arrives ;)

hawkman

Tue May 29, 2012 8:50:53 pm

wating too zorin 6 stable i have now 5.2 greeting!

hawkman

Tue May 29, 2012 9:03:15 pm

hi greeting to all user weating too 6 version