This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

back light

farms

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:24:43 am

Hello i am very new to Zorin 12 as having coming from Windows i have posted before maybe i did not submit it correctly , i have got to like Zorin a lot over the last week and the problem is the slider works on the brightness but screen does not change light or dark, my lap top is a 64 bit Samsung and it has got intel celeron inside please understand i am new to linux and Zorin i have looked on this site and found from 2014 someone with same problem tried to implement to which people advised them but does not work. Any help i would be grateful .

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:33:59 am

Was this the fix?:

https://itsfoss.com/fix-brightness-ubuntu-1310/

Keep us posted! :D

star treker

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:16:25 am

Most notebook's just like my own come with their own built in method for changing screen brightness. You will have a FN key stands for function and you hold that down by pressing the corresponding keys as listed on your keyboard to change brightness. However, if that fix as posted by Swarf fixes your issue with the slider in Zorin, then you are styling mate. Wish you good luck dude! :D

farms

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:20:42 am

Hello sorry for late reply I had seen on a another site download Cairo dock , it is in Zorin 12 software download too, when I downloaded I can not sign back into my laptop after starting it up. Now I am on a different OS it was not a fluke because I format disks 3 times and done same actions download Zorin 12 sign in download Cairo dock reboot can't sign in.

star treker

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:37:58 am

Believe it or not, I've had this happen before after installing prime, the login screen got changed and I couldn't login. On the login screen there is a little GEAR icon, if you click on it, it has choices for which desktop you want to login to. Don't ask me why Zorin has Kodi as an option. Anyways, make sure you've selected Zorin in the list, cause thats the only desktop you have an account on. If you still can't login, there is another way you can. By holding down CTRL ALT and the F1 keys, you will leave the desktop session. You will basically be in a full command prompt, enter your username and password as it requests to login. Then after you do that, you should be able to return to the desktop session by holding down the keys CTRL ALT and F7. The desktop may request you to re-login at this point for security reasons but it the login should take. Then if you absolutely have to do so, you can then have access to your desktop where you can go through the motions of un-installing Cairo dock. Hope this helps

farms

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:20:52 pm

star treker wrote:Believe it or not, I've had this happen before after installing prime, the login screen got changed and I couldn't login. On the login screen there is a little GEAR icon, if you click on it, it has choices for which desktop you want to login to. Don't ask me why Zorin has Kodi as an option. Anyways, make sure you've selected Zorin in the list, cause thats the only desktop you have an account on. If you still can't login, there is another way you can. By holding down CTRL ALT and the F1 keys, you will leave the desktop session. You will basically be in a full command prompt, enter your username and password as it requests to login. Then after you do that, you should be able to return to the desktop session by holding down the keys CTRL ALT and F7. The desktop may request you to re-login at this point for security reasons but it the login should take. Then if you absolutely have to do so, you can then have access to your desktop where you can go through the motions of un-installing Cairo dock. Hope this helps
i i am on peppermint 7 at the moment got the bug of Linux but want to come back to Zorin 12 will try in morning,

farms

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:13:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Was this the fix?:

I have tried but will try again , I have to load Zorin again tomorrow morning, I will sort this problem even as a newbie , new Zorin users with thinking of downloading Cairo dock look into it before you do and if you have Intel drivers.

farms

Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:23:13 am

hi andy-RV410-RV510-S3510-E3510:~$ ls /sys/class/backlight/
acpi_video0 intel_backlight
andy@andy-RV410-RV510-S3510-E3510:~$ sudo touch /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
[sudo] password for andy:
andy@andy-RV410-RV510-S3510-E3510:~$ sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

(gedit:2366): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

** (gedit:2366): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-spell-enabled not supported

** (gedit:2366): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-encoding not supported

Swarfendor i did everything correctly did not work this is what my terminal said as well any ideas please would be a help ?

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:32:52 am

This is something I picked up elsewhere in the past: just could not remember the vendor code line:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2225858

farms

Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:13:18 pm

Ok

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:52:21 pm

Hi, double posting relates because you have already had the topic approved to which I have been answering! :shock:

MBMz10

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:13:28 pm

farms wrote:

hi andy-RV410-RV510-S3510-E3510:~$ ls /sys/class/backlight/
acpi_video0 intel_backlight
andy@andy-RV410-RV510-S3510-E3510:~$ sudo touch /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
[sudo] password for andy:
andy@andy-RV410-RV510-S3510-E3510:~$ sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

(gedit:2366): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

** (gedit:2366): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-spell-enabled not supported

** (gedit:2366): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-encoding not supported

Swarfendor i did everything correctly did not work this is what my terminal said as well any ideas please would be a help ?

Is it possible that the machine name might be causing issues?

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:57:00 pm