This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Tap to click

fixitleeds

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:02:34 pm

Loving the new look Zorin 12 so far, with one caveat: there doesn't seem to be an option in the GUI to make the trackpad 'tap-to-click'. Is this in the pipeline?

star treker

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:32:09 pm

I experienced that issue as well, its only because its defaulted to off. Click on Zorin logo on panel, then click on settings. Click on mouse and trackpad. At bottom of window, put a checkmark in Trackpad Tap To Click. There you go ;)

fixitleeds

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:04:17 pm

Mine doesn't have that option unfortunately. It could be because I'm using older laptops, but I can switch it on via terminal (although I don't know how to make it stick post-reboot.) The laptops I've tried it on are a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300 and an Acer Extensa 5230E.

star treker

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:17:05 pm

There must be a way via terminal to make that stick for every boot, I would suggest using a external mouse until you can get that figured out. Their easier to use then the trackpads anyways, I for one will go on record to say I hate trackpads lol. Just curious, which version of Zorin you got, version 12 Core or version 12 Ultimate?

fixitleeds

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:33:12 pm

12 Core. I'm trying to sell these laptops (we're a social enterprise), and I think Zorin 12 is really appealing for 1st time Linux users. Unfortunately, this is kind of a dealbreaker - I can't deal with no tap-to-click, and I'd expect at least some of my customers to agree.

Guidgen

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:43:42 pm

Hi,

I think the same problem I have on my Dell XPS M1330 laptop. I was able to find workaround which may also work for you.
Run this command in terminal first and check if it works:
synclient TapButton1=1 TapButton2=3 TapButton3=2

If yes, you may add this command you your startup programs and forget about this issue.

However on my laptop I have also scroll build-in in touch-pad, and it works in opposite way (reverse scrolling direction). I don't see touchpad options in control panel (mouse & touchpad settings), so I guess Zorin is just not detecting my touchpad, and that is why I have these problems with taping and "natural scrolling".

Christine

Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:54:56 pm

fixitleeds wrote:12 Core. I'm trying to sell these laptops (we're a social enterprise), and I think Zorin 12 is really appealing for 1st time Linux users. Unfortunately, this is kind of a dealbreaker - I can't deal with no tap-to-click, and I'd expect at least some of my customers to agree.

Try this

Code:
synclient TapButton1=1 TapButton2=3 TapButton3=2

Via
https://askubuntu.com/questions/690138/ ... 15-10gnome

fixitleeds

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:08:31 pm

I've installed synaptiks (https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application ... -touchpad/) which provides an additional GUI control panel with the option to have tap-to-click (and keeps it that way after reboot.) I'm really keen not to be relying on terminal commands because a lot of my customers are not fully computer (let alone Linux) literate and I think it's a lot to ask of them - say if they wanted to reinstate tap-to-click after a reinstall, I could end up reciting terminal commands down the phone to them :shock: . (Also I'm a fairly new linux user myself tbh and am still a bit averse to the terminal.)

Guidgen wrote:Hi,
However on my laptop I have also scroll build-in in touch-pad, and it works in opposite way (reverse scrolling direction). I don't see touchpad options in control panel (mouse & touchpad settings), so I guess Zorin is just not detecting my touchpad, and that is why I have these problems with taping and "natural scrolling".

Synaptiks also has lots of scrolling options so this should be of use to you.

star treker

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:12:58 pm

Dude, your awesome, ya now everyone knows ;)

Thanks again, I will be installing Synaptiks so I can add some convenience to my installation hehe

EDIT: OK I did a search for synaptiks in the software center and in SPM and didn't find anything. I changed the spelling to Synaptics and then I did pull up something in SPM, but it wasn't an application, it was Synaptics driver related files from Xserver Xorg. And one of them is already installed for my touchpad.

I then did a search on google and found that this application was apparantly available for up to Ubuntu 13 something, which was many years ago, so it doesn't seem supported on Ubuntu 16.04 much less Zorin OS 12 which its based on. Maybe I am doing something wrong but I am just not seeing what you were seeing there bud. ;)

fixitleeds

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:30:49 pm

Maybe try searching 'kde-config-touchpad'? I can't remember how I installed it, I think it was through terminal using 'kde-config-touchpad'

star treker

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:34:01 pm

Thankyou so much! I put that into Synaptic Package Manager and it popped up, I downloaded it and installed it and wala, there it was in the system settings section afer. I am going to play around with it and see what I can do but again thanks! :D

Guidgen

Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:34:06 pm

Uhh...I think I have broken Zorin :D I could not find "kde-config-touchpad" in package manager build-in in Zorin so I have installed Synaptic Package Manager and found it there. During installation of kde-config-touchpad screen has become black for a while (it was looking like desktop crash) and now I have Zorin menu on top of screen, not at the bottom as is default. Anyway, I really like Zorin look & feel, but I have to many technical problems with it (it is not only a matter of touchpad...which still is not working without additional startup script). So I would rather continue using some other linux system.

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:24:43 pm

Hi, try this: Install 'dconf-tools' via Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-tools

This will place 'dconf Editor' in System Tools sub menu.

Open it up and expand org | gnome | desktop | peripherals.

Select touchpad and in the right-hand pane, check 'tap-to-click'. ;) :D

taptoclick.jpg

Guidgen

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:11:25 pm

Perfect! Thanks. Touchpad is working fine now and I have changed scrolling direction by disabling natural-scrolling.
I am quite new in linux based OS, just searching some replacement for Windows, so I don't know all that tricks. Pity that it is not enabled by default.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:19:40 am

Guidgen wrote:Perfect! Thanks. Touchpad is working fine now and I have changed scrolling direction by disabling natural-scrolling.
I am quite new in linux based OS, just searching some replacement for Windows, so I don't know all that tricks. Pity that it is not enabled by default.

It's a pity dconf-tools is not present by default. Most other distros have that and Synaptic s Package Manager as de facto apps - this is the first release by Zorin NOT to have Synaptic at point of install!!

star treker

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:46:19 am

Ya I agree Swarf, that was really odd that Zorin didn't include Synaptic, IMO its 100% needed, and should have been included with at the very least the Ultimate eddition. And also would have been nice to not only have Dconf installed, but also the KDE configuration tool. I am thinking about installing the K Light Codec pack next, I think it might possibly solve some graphics issues in my installation. And also, it would be nice to see better driver support in Zorin, so maybe Zorin will update the OS like Windows did with their service packs, that will include the needed stuff.

EDIT: OK seems that the K Lite Codec Pack is only for Windows, and Linux uses ubuntu unrestricted extras to do the same kind of thing. I however could only find bits and pieces of that in Synaptic, but not the whole thing. I found several Gstreamer plugins that have been installed however, so I am getting the feeling that Zorin already installed all the needed plugin dependancies, so I guess I am good. I don't really feel like checking each individual significant file anyways, if there isn't an easy one click install that I don't want to bother lol.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:39:22 pm

Check out Wolfman's post install guide, in particular the item of 'Sound' and codecs.

Darth Luq

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11:22 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, try this: Install 'dconf-tools' via Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:

taptoclick.jpg

Hi,

I tried doing this (sudo apt-get install dconf-tools), but a msg like this appear on the terminal:

[Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
dconf-tools : Depends: dconf-editor but it is not going to be installed
linux-generic : Depends: linux-headers-generic (= 4.4.0.70.76) but 4.4.0.47.50 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Then I tried the (apt-get -f install) and this msg appeared:

[E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

I am not groot

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:44:10 am

Darth Luq wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, try this: Install 'dconf-tools' via Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:

taptoclick.jpg

Hi,

I tried doing this (sudo apt-get install dconf-tools), but a msg like this appear on the terminal:

Building dependency tree
linux-generic : Depends: linux-headers-generic (= 4.4.0.70.76) but 4.4.0.47.50 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I am not groot

Change your software sources from the server in your 'locale'/'region' to 'Main Server' and see if you can install then - otherwise, search using Synaptic Package Manager fo dconf editor. ;) :D

Darth Luq

Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:53:57 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Darth Luq wrote:

Code:

taptoclick.jpg

Hi,

Building dependency tree

I am not groot

Change your software sources from the server in your 'locale'/'region' to 'Main Server' and see if you can install then - otherwise, search using Synaptic Package Manager fo dconf editor. ;) :D

Thank you, i did change to main server and after apt-get update/ upgrade, and it works.

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:58:59 am

Glad to hear friend! ;) :D