This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Threw Windows "Out of The Window" For Zorin 12

Lin66

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:54:32 am

Hello,

I thought to give you people an overview of what happened on my "main" machine and what made me make the final change.

At around Black Friday I wanted to gives Windows and ZoomText a good old boost with a SOLID (everyone said it really good one) SSD that I found on Amazon. All I needed to know if the case required a "2.5" carriage" or not as the Lenovo manual was not too clear on that aspect. Long story short their support is both non accommodating (contrary to what they stated on their website...) and non existent support once I even got someone to phone them in for me.

Given I am deaf and blind this is really frustrating so later I am going to get parts to assemble something for myself once this Lenovo crapware hits the fan for good.

Why did I call it crapware? Well beside the above they stuck a crappy 2.5" 7,200 RPM drive that apparently splitting out errors in Zorin's SMART... Which I will get to in a moment.

Knowing it been some time since I used a Ubuntu install on the same HP laptop I decided to see if there "Windows like" Linux OS which Zorin was on top of the search query. Installed it on my Ubuntu HP laptop and worked like a pro.

Remember SMART I am talking about? I "test drive" on this Lenovo box and saw similar results but the Lenovo's "solution center" said "everything fine" (yea right...).

Since Windows 7 was still good I deicided to keep it until the ZoomText loading time "break a record" taking 20 MINUTES to be able to use the PC. Leading me to work tonight to "throw Windows out of the window".

Even on this deflective drive it only took Core a mere 20 SECONDS to boot up from the built in zoom function ready to go too!

This should buy me some time before the drive become nothing more than a "brick". It may not be prefect ZoomText replacement but at least somewhat usable and doesn't eat IO to no end...

star treker

Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:52:08 pm

The thing that I like about modern SSD drives is that they are universal. It isn't like the old days with IDE drives where you had to select the pinout with a jumper to make the system recognize as master or slave. Or the beginning of SATA drives where you had to select the speed pinout jumper based on your motherboards support. SSD's drive auto assign by the motherboard and they are automatically backwards compatible in speeds.

Most modern computers, whether notebook's or desktops can recognize an SSD drive instantly and allow to install software and whatnot. The only reason I had issues is because my server machine used a 2005 motherboard and it was too old to utilize SATA drives without building them in a raid array. However, my notebook detected my new SSD drive easily without issue cause its more modern. And regarding mounting, all I had to do is remove the original bracket off the old mechanical drive, install it on the SSD, then screw the drive into place, easy peasy.

I will say this however, the Windows 7 installer sucks bigtime. It lacks driver support in which it should already be loaded with. So while at the beginning of installation, it halts because it needs at atapi driver, for which it apparantly does not have, nor can substatute for a generic version, and since I didn't have the specific driver it wanted, I couldn't reinstall Windows 7. But the awesome thing about Zorin Linux, is that it contains all the drivers needed and installed without a hitch!

Literally the only thing I had to do on my notebook was enter the bios and change the boot priority to USB flash drive in the number 1 top slot. That allows you to boot onto your USB flash driver where the Zorin installer is, and install Zorin :) I had enough of Windows once I got tired of all the BSOD's and program exception faults. Then of course add to that all the news about Windows 10, just pushed me to install Linux in the end.

So I think with patience and willpower, you are going to be good to go. ;)

Lin66

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:20:48 am

star treker wrote:The thing that I like about modern SSD drives is that they are universal. It isn't like the old days with IDE drives where you had to select the pinout with a jumper to make the system recognize as master or slave. Or the beginning of SATA drives where you had to select the speed pinout jumper based on your motherboards support. SSD's drive auto assign by the motherboard and they are automatically backwards compatible in speeds.

Most modern computers, whether notebook's or desktops can recognize an SSD drive instantly and allow to install software and whatnot. The only reason I had issues is because my server machine used a 2005 motherboard and it was too old to utilize SATA drives without building them in a raid array. However, my notebook detected my new SSD drive easily without issue cause its more modern. And regarding mounting, all I had to do is remove the original bracket off the old mechanical drive, install it on the SSD, then screw the drive into place, easy peasy.

I will say this however, the Windows 7 installer sucks bigtime. It lacks driver support in which it should already be loaded with. So while at the beginning of installation, it halts because it needs at atapi driver, for which it apparantly does not have, nor can substatute for a generic version, and since I didn't have the specific driver it wanted, I couldn't reinstall Windows 7. But the awesome thing about Zorin Linux, is that it contains all the drivers needed and installed without a hitch!

Literally the only thing I had to do on my notebook was enter the bios and change the boot priority to USB flash drive in the number 1 top slot. That allows you to boot onto your USB flash driver where the Zorin installer is, and install Zorin :) I had enough of Windows once I got tired of all the BSOD's and program exception faults. Then of course add to that all the news about Windows 10, just pushed me to install Linux in the end.

So I think with patience and willpower, you are going to be good to go. ;)

Thank you for the feedback on your experience using SSDs and the OS. Yea I could probably switch the HDD for one however because Intel just recently producing defective proccessors it will be a brick sooner or later.

So with the above said why even bother trying to get mileages for a system that doesn't even come with the support Lenovo claims? That is why once the drive is bricked or after a couple of weeks I will just ditch Lenovo and Intel based setups altogether. This way I don't have to worry about either of them.

star treker

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:40:33 am

Your welcome! And since Windows went out the window already, might as well throw Leanovo out it too. Time for a new computer YAY you. One of the things that I love about new computer's is how much faster they are then my old ones hehe. But the next PC I am going to build again cause I just appreciate all the expandability you get with them vs the limitations of a notebook. Please keep the forum updated, cause I love hearing about when people get new stuff and share pictures. Its what I did when I presented my 4 bay HD enclosure to the forum. :D

Lin66

Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:54:43 am

star treker wrote:Your welcome! And since Windows went out the window already, might as well throw Leanovo out it too. Time for a new computer YAY you. One of the things that I love about new computer's is how much faster they are then my old ones hehe. But the next PC I am going to build again cause I just appreciate all the expandability you get with them vs the limitations of a notebook. Please keep the forum updated, cause I love hearing about when people get new stuff and share pictures. Its what I did when I presented my 4 bay HD enclosure to the forum. :D

You bet! Plus you not in a "vendor lock in" vs. than going to DELL/HP/etc. Another thing I noticed with "shelfware" that the PSU are like 60%-70% rated at least for the cheapest HP.

I am going to literally screw all of that with a semi modular Coressiar PSU that is rated 80% GOLD PLUS. Saving me the power and mess at the same time. :)

I will also gladly keep this forum up to date with my build and why not throw in the UPS that I will be getting sometime for the PC building business while I am at it?

star treker

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:33:28 am

I know exactly what you mean buddy ;) Because of high power demands, and carrying about making sure my file server had enough watts to power it with clean power. And in an effort to have a clean install inside, I needed good cable management. So I ended up getting a Thermaltake 850 watt 80+ gold certified modular sleeved PSU. And it still works today! Of course I blow the computer out every year, just basic maintenance you know. But now its no longer a file server, and with no hard drive in it, its a paper weight right now lol. Eventually I will put a hard drive in it and get it going again. But right now I am enjoying the fact that I am not using 300 watts of power in the computer, and 100 watts out of the monitor lol.

Always use highly rated certified PSU's, I have already been through two computer builds where cheap PSU's that use cheap Chinese capacitors blow, and then fry the entire system in the process. If the power supply doesn't cost you 100 dollars or more, don't buy it. Thats a good rule of thumb, plus do your research, read reviews, and it seems you have so you know what to get. Boy was that tough on the pocket book when two computer's go dead from PSU damage ugg.

Lin66

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:45:09 am

star treker wrote:I know exactly what you mean buddy ;) Because of high power demands, and carrying about making sure my file server had enough watts to power it with clean power. And in an effort to have a clean install inside, I needed good cable management. So I ended up getting a Thermaltake 850 watt 80+ gold certified modular sleeved PSU. And it still works today! Of course I blow the computer out every year, just basic maintenance you know. But now its no longer a file server, and with no hard drive in it, its a paper weight right now lol. Eventually I will put a hard drive in it and get it going again. But right now I am enjoying the fact that I am not using 300 watts of power in the computer, and 100 watts out of the monitor lol.

Always use highly rated certified PSU's, I have already been through two computer builds where cheap PSU's that use cheap Chinese capacitors blow, and then fry the entire system in the process. If the power supply doesn't cost you 100 dollars or more, don't buy it. Thats a good rule of thumb, plus do your research, read reviews, and it seems you have so you know what to get. Boy was that tough on the pocket book when two computer's go dead from PSU damage ugg.

I fully agrees it will save you at the power metering as well. :) Yes that one PSU I am looking at is pretty solid based on what people are saying on Amazon and there were just a few minor instances related to fan noise or something as simple as that.

star treker

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:53:01 am

What a lot of people don't know is that you can replace the fan inside the PSU with a quieter hydro fluid bearing fan. If you buy the most expensive PSU's, they will come with them, but of course you probably don't need a 200 dollar 1200 watt PSU either lol. The cheaper PSU's use brushless fans, and thats why they are louder. I wouldn't recommend changing the fan till its out of warranty first though. If your building a computer, please by all means share the links with me in pm and I will give you my opinions based on what you picked. ;)

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:59:46 pm

For me there can only be one and that is CoolerMaster - Recently built two rigs from scratch comprising:

CoolerMaster 650W Gold fully modular psu, Asus Ranger VIII Mobo with Skylake processor, CoolerMaster CPU Cooler, and CoolerMaster Silencio 650 Mid Tower - there's a light hum but nothing else. The people who use them can't believe the difference - they sometimes have to check the machine is switched on! :D

star treker

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:32:05 pm

The quietest computer I ever heard was one with no moving parts. Hard drive was SSD, DVD ROM drive not in use, liquid cooling heat dissipation design. 2nd to that is running a computer with no fans other then the CPU fan, and that is a very stupid thing to do, cause your computer will build up so much heat that it will start malfunctioning, and the life will be lessoned, and everything will die sooner then usual.

The most cost effective thing to do is to operate a hydro fluid bearing fan based heat dissipation setup. And while its true that mechanical drives are considerably quieter then they used to be in the 80's and 90's, they still won't be as silent as an SDD drive. So I think that combination makes for a perfect install. And if you want to go a step further, while still remaining cost effective, you could replace the stock CPU cooler with a hydro fluid bearing version. The computer will be nearly silent, so you could easily sleep in the same room with it running.

And yes liquid cooling is usually considered the best for gamers who like to overclock their computers, you have to consider that the cost for a liquid cooling setup is expensive. And you also run the risk of leaks, and all it takes is one to destroy your whole computer. I remember when liquid cooling was the new thing for consumers back in oh I guess it was 2004'ish, I heard multiple reports of fried computers due to leaks.

So I guess the point I am making is, expecting your computer to be perfectly silent is not a reality, afterall, you will more then likely have transformer hum in the PSU, and more then likely, that is if you can hear the 16K hertz range of sounds, you will hear transister wine. I love how people think computer's today are loud, clearly they were not born in the 80's or 70's LMAO! :D

Lin66

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:46:07 pm

star treker wrote:The quietest computer I ever heard was one with no moving parts. Hard drive was SSD, DVD ROM drive not in use, liquid cooling heat dissipation design. 2nd to that is running a computer with no fans other then the CPU fan, and that is a very stupid thing to do, cause your computer will build up so much heat that it will start malfunctioning, and the life will be lessoned, and everything will die sooner then usual.

The most cost effective thing to do is to operate a hydro fluid bearing fan based heat dissipation setup. And while its true that mechanical drives are considerably quieter then they used to be in the 80's and 90's, they still won't be as silent as an SDD drive. So I think that combination makes for a perfect install. And if you want to go a step further, while still remaining cost effective, you could replace the stock CPU cooler with a hydro fluid bearing version. The computer will be nearly silent, so you could easily sleep in the same room with it running.

And yes liquid cooling is usually considered the best for gamers who like to overclock their computers, you have to consider that the cost for a liquid cooling setup is expensive. And you also run the risk of leaks, and all it takes is one to destroy your whole computer. I remember when liquid cooling was the new thing for consumers back in oh I guess it was 2004'ish, I heard multiple reports of fried computers due to leaks.

So I guess the point I am making is, expecting your computer to be perfectly silent is not a reality, afterall, you will more then likely have transformer hum in the PSU, and more then likely, that is if you can hear the 16K hertz range of sounds, you will hear transister wine. I love how people think computer's today are loud, clearly they were not born in the 80's or 70's LMAO! :D

I am assuming your speaking of leakages with "DIY made" coolers. I seen that at least on MakeofUse stating that consumer models are so well made that manufacturers will make them so they are as leak proof as possible.

star treker

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:45:16 pm

Well, I sure can guess what else is going out the window soon ;)