This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

CRUCIAL POINT in the LINUX WORLD

FutureOfLinux

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:09:56 am

As many of you may already know, Ubuntu 18.04 which will be released in April of 2018 will ship with GNOME 3, not UNITY.

Many people will like this, but many people will not.

So this is a crucial period in the history of Linux. Which Distribution can successfully take over the majority of users Ubuntu loses in it's harsh move?

if ZorinOS will be that distribution, it will have to do a lot of development and preparation up to that time.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:29:38 pm

It certainly isn't Crucial to Zorin as it is already running the Gnome3 environment with Gnome Shell! It's Unity 'look' is actually nothing more than a modified Gnome Panel that is to the left of the desktop instead of across the bottom or top. :D When Ubuntu 18.04 comes out it will be a developmental release that will only last 9-15 months in terms of updates whereas Zorin 12.x will last until April 2021. Zorin did announce with the release of 12 they would not be introducing any more developmental releases as they did with 7, 8, 10 and 11 - 12 is for the long haul with releases to update the existing system in respect of Security and Kernel updates. In any event, Gnome is just another DE (Desktop Environment) - it is not an OS in itself, merely the 'skin' of the OS, just as Konqueror DE or Cairo-Dock DE is, or XFCE or LXDE. 8-) :D

FutureOfLinux

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:15:42 am

I understand zorin is based on gnome 3 but it has a more familiar layout than GNOME 3. people wont like GNOME 3's default look

mdiemer

Sat May 27, 2017 12:15:36 am

FutureOfLinux wrote:I understand zorin is based on gnome 3 but it has a more familiar layout than GNOME 3. people wont like GNOME 3's default look

I agree, Gnome 3 is not for everyone (including me).

Swarfendor437

Sat May 27, 2017 5:33:12 pm

Well you can always add other DE's such as Cairo Dock or once Zorin 12 Lite is released, people may prefer the xfce Menu alternative. ;) :D