This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Differences between Zorin vs. Ubuntu under the Hood

Schroeffu

Sun May 28, 2017 2:53:21 pm

Hi Zorin Community,

I would like to write a review about ZorinOS. Now I am looking about all the information, what are the difference between Ubuntu and Zorin, beside of the Zorin-Gnome Desktop?
Do have Zorin some special tools for a better usability, which i did not recognise yet maybe?

As i have Zorinos 12.1 fresh installed, I dont see much Zorin related tools which are a real difference to Ubuntu. Much of them seems to be Gnome Default with the ZorinOS Theme, right?

Thanks for any hint :-)!

All the best

Swarfendor437

Sun May 28, 2017 11:41:15 pm

What you have to remember is that ZorinOS is aimed at Windows users who are considering moving to GNU/Linux so they try to make it look and feel similar to Windows - for example the Menu - you don't get that in Ubuntu, but the Unity dock on the left, plus a few little extras if you purchase Ultimate. If you are writing a review from a GNU/Linux perspective then that may well be true, but then Zorin OS isn't taking a truly GNU/Linux perspective in its ethos IMHO. ;) :P