This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 Lite ??

delunsford123

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:50:01 pm

Does anyone know when the Zorin 12 Lite version is going to be released ?
I have been waiting for this one...

Thanks,
Darrell

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:26:30 pm

The public Beta was supposed to be due out this week - I now suspect next week? ;) :D

delunsford123

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:49:20 pm

Ok, great... thank you !! :)

MBMz10

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:20:19 pm

mdiemer

Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:46:45 pm

Great news! Will be downloading soon. My computer has had trouble with the full versions of Zorin, so i'm hoping Zorin Lite will suit it better.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:00:24 pm

Just remember that this is a Beta release - need to make a Global methinks! :D

mdiemer

Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:27:18 am

Checking out the live version. I thought it would look different than the full version, being that it uses Xfce vs. LXDE, but it looks pretty much the same. Where is the difference, then, in the two DE'S?

MBMz10

Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:16:03 am

On face value they do look basically the same but once you start digging around you will see many differences, settings, themes (layout), and so on. You may have noticed how smooth and snappy it runs if your on older or low spec hardware especially compared to the slower clunky feel of Zorin 12 Core/Ultimate, as 12 Lite is using the Zorin modified XFCE desktop environment and the main version is using Gnome.
I think an Education and Ultimate version of the 'Lite' are coming also so that will be interesting!

I must say that I thought the same especially because the wallpaper looked like the one in core/ultimate but I suspect it is a bit of a 'branding' type thing!
I am about to install 12 lite on a PC that is about 1Ghz dual core with 4GB RAM that is currently running Linux Mint Mate 18 so I will soon see how it performs on such low specs as direct comparison. I installed it on a virtual machine (Intel i5 quad core @3.5Ghz 16GBRAM) gave it 4GB RAM and 2 CPU cores and it ran like it was on real hardware, impressive. There are a few Youtube videos previewing 12 lite so that might help.

mdiemer

Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:46:16 pm

Thanks for that, friend. Yes, I guess I was expecting a totally different look. but that's fine; the Z12 look is beautiful. I really like the start menu. Debating now whether to install, or just use live version. I'll be installing it eventually over my Z12 Ultimate, which won't update anymore, it gets stalled. At least I can still boot into it though.