This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Anyone got Zorin 12 Lite Ultimate or other Editions

MBMz10

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:51:18 am

As the title states just wondering if anyone has got Zorin 12 Lite Ultimate or other editions and would like to tell us a little about it and the differences between Lite and Lite Ultimate aside for the support aspect.
Download size, apps included (does it include Zorin Background Plus) your basic hardware specs and how well it runs etc.

Also feel free to tell us about Business or Education versions of the Lite edition.

ian4238

Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:28:18 am

Never looked at this heading before. I did pay for Zorin 12 Lite Ultimate, and have had a little help as required.
I am running this as dual-boot with WIN 10 with Classic Shell installed. Both have a similar appearance. I also have another PC running Zorin 12 Ultimate dual-booted with WIN 7. I find I am using the lite version daily as it is quicker and less trouble than my Ultimate with Nemo running the Desktop ( as I wanted smaller icons etc). Last week I installed some updates, and my small icons disappeared, and I haven't had the patience to fix it. For an amateur like myself, I think it is well worth the money to get help as necessary.

In Lite, I do not like the 'Tooltip' in the Panel, that displays to the right of the icon rather than above. I hope the developers will fix it one day. I have tried to use Desklets to brighten up my desktop, and I will post a separate item about them. Eventually I think I may stick with Zorin Lite XFCE as my main system as it suits me better. Also my dual-boot WIN 10 now displays rather like WIN 7 and Zorin 12! , with a clock and calendar on the right. I use the same wallpaper in each.

MBMz10

Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:40:11 am

Hi ian4238, I agree that Lite is fast and snappy, also find that the main edition (core/ultimate) is sluggish and the desktop has crashed a few to many times on me that I no long use it even though I purchased the Ultimate version. I mainly purchased it to support the Zorin project as I have been a Zorin user since version 8 and Ultimate user since version 9. I really like the theming that Zorin do with their distro's and tools like the theme changer and look changer.

I had a bit of a look around regarding the tool tips on the panel and couldn't find much help on that one! I might experiment on one of my virtual machines and see what happens! Xfce is a great DE imho and very configurable however breaking Zorin theming could result, even changing the layout has resulted in loosing icons and panel items that I've added.

I have been considering Lite Ultimate also and was wondering what the additional 'Desktop Layouts' looked like over the unpaid version and if it has the 'Background Plus' app or not? Also any other additions that Lite Ultimate has which are not include in the free version? Feel free to post a few screenshots if your up for it!

ian4238

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:07:16 pm

Hello there
I have now typed this twice, as have wasted a bit of time trying to reduce the size of a screenprint. Normally sending an attachment with Thunderbird it is no problem.
I experimented years ago with different Linux systems, but until Zorin 5 nothing seemed reliable enough. Then bought Z6, 9 and 12 Ultimate. I tried Lite Beta, and installed Lite Ultimate as soon as it was available, so cannot say much about differences with Core. I know the Ultimate includes MacOS and Gnome 2 in Zorin Appearance. I see Business includes Unity!
I don't see "Background Plus" in the various layouts. There are in the menu 'Window Manager' and Window Manager Tweaks' but they seem to cover only routine items.
I also use Free Office at times, as Libre Office at one stage refused to play sound on some presentations. Also for years I have had a problem with my Canon MP240 printer (won't turn off until power disconnected after using Libre Office Writer), but Free Office Textmaker doesn't do the same.
I will not attach the screenprint of my desktop to this, but send it later (don't want to lose this message again).

ian4238

Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:09:50 pm

Screenshot_2017-10-01_rev.png
Further to my previous note, I now attach a slightly reduced screenprint.

mdiemer

Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:46:53 pm

I tried Core, then Ultimate and finally Lite (all Zorin 12). Previously used Zorin 9. Lite is fantastic, very fast and very stable. updates fine. No crashes for months. I had problems with the other versions, which may be the OS, my computer, or the interaction of both. My recollection of Core and Ultimate is sketchy at this point, but my sense is that Lite does not look much different. I think it's the best lite Linux I have tried. I would recommend it for temperamental or old systems, but also for anyone who just wants a beautiful, fast and stable computer.