This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[STICKY] IRC Channel #ZorinOS on irc.freenode.net

Obsidian1723

Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:18:57 pm

FYI, I've created ##ZorinOS on irc.freenode.net for use of anyone who just wants to chat live about Zorin OS, get some real-time hands-on support for it, etc. It's a brand new channel, so feel free to join and hang out, bring people there, etc.

My IRC handle is Obsidian1723 and I'm on at night, though not ev ery night. I'm currently owned by 2 cats, have a house, wife, and that which goes along with caring for all of them so time is limited for me to hang out on IRC.

Peace all :)

UPDATE 09-17-2011 - IRC channel linked from Zorin OS website under the "Support" link.
Direct URL is: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=ZorinOS

UPDATE: 09-16-2011 - Still awaiting offical approval from freenode's management and awaiting links to the chatroom(s) #ZorinOS (support channel) and ##ZorinOS (off-topic chatter) from the Zorin website(s)

So far only one forum moderator other than myself has asked for or been given @ status on the IRC channels. I realize that this is totally new and no one but myself is in it right now, but once the channels are linked to the Zorin websites, I have a feeling that will change. I/we will need the channel operator help.

UPDATE: 09-11-2011 - I am in the process, with the permission of the Zorin Group, to form the offical channel #ZorinOS on irc.freenode.net. Once completed,we can use #ZorinOS for offical live support and ##ZorinOS for off-topic chatter. If any forum moderators here are interested in channel operator privledges in both channels, please contact me by posting in this thread. If you are registered on freenode, please include your IRC nickname so I may add it to the op list.

Obsidian1723

Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:06:39 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:It would be very nice to have an 'official' irc channel (or perhaps this is it! - the one you have created that is!). What I mean by 'official' is that it would be nice to do something that Sabayon has always had - a live IRC help channel that is present on the live DVD as well as after install.

Agreed :)

On freenode ##channels are unoffice, and #channels are offical - meaning in order for us to have a #channel vs a ##channel, Zorin Group would need to give me the ok for that, or do that themselves. I'm sure the ##ZorinOS I created is fine enough though. :)

I think it will help out having some live chat going on for fun and for support.

Obsidian1723

Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:27:54 pm

UPDATE: 09-11-2011 - I am in the process, with the permission of the Zorin Group, to form the offical channel #ZorinOS on irc.freenode.net. Once completed,we can use #ZorinOS for offical live support and ##ZorinOS for off-topic chatter. If any forum moderators here are interested in channel operator privledges in both channels, please contact me by posting in this thread. If you are registered on freenode, please include your IRC nickname so I may add it to the op list.

Obsidian1723

Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:36:54 am

swarfendor437 wrote:my NIC is the same as my username - first registered on #sabayon channel!

swarfendor437 added as op on #ZorinOS and ##ZorinOS so you can use ChanServ to gain @ access.

Obsidian1723

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:11:22 pm

FYI, in order to not have a huge long thread, I am editing my updates in the very first post and adding posts at the bottom of anyone who has been added as a channel operator, such as swarfendor437 above.

Obsidian1723

Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:32:08 pm

All,

We need more staff which are active on a regular basis in the IRC channel. Admittedly, the IRC channel is not very active, however it's active enough that what happens quite often is where a user joins (via the webchat client from this website), asks a question, then leaves due to no response. Right now, it's myself (Obsidian1723) and Gadwil/Garbee who are in the channel the most, but it's not enough staff.

I know Zorin OS has a much smaller userbase than other distros, but if we are to grow, then the IRC channel needs better attendance by both users and staff alike.

Once again, I ask for AZorin and the other forum moderators to become staff there. Of course, non-forum moderators are also welcome as staff as well too.

Obsidian1723

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:58:57 am

necro boost.

Sorry all, life has been busy. I know this is an old post, but in April 2012 my father passed after a long illness, I was working at a major company and recently left it for a smaller one when I'm not getting training and certifications to work on F5 Networks, and life overall has just been super busy. Priorities, ya know?

We still need people on IRC since users bop in, ask, wait a minute, then leave. I just don't have the time to watch IRC these days, or much else. I'm spread too thin. I know that I'm not the only one, so if you can help out there, please do. Thanks.

pcfan5

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:39:31 pm

Hello, How can I help? I would like to say that I am very interested in having an "emergency" chat channel, where users can ask quick urgent question, that cannot wait for a reply in this forum, or maybe have a free conversation (within boundaries). I don't have a lot of time to keep logg in the IRC channel, but if there is anyway I can help , please say (my time due to my work is limited, but I wish this channel to work, since last time I entered didn't get any reply back)

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:16:25 pm

Hi, you have to wait to view others joining. ;) :D

The other issue is time differences around the world.

zorinantwerp

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:20:40 pm

pcfan5 wrote:Hello, How can I help? I would like to say that I am very interested in having an "emergency" chat channel, where users can ask quick urgent question, that cannot wait for a reply in this forum, or maybe have a free conversation (within boundaries). I don't have a lot of time to keep logg in the IRC channel, but if there is anyway I can help , please say (my time due to my work is limited, but I wish this channel to work, since last time I entered didn't get any reply back)

just an idea.
goto to https://www.facebook.com/ZorinOS/

see some answers appearing there :)

will

pcfan5

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:56:54 pm

Hi thank you both, can I enter to the channel with hexchat?

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:31:52 pm

pcfan5 wrote:Hi thank you both, can I enter to the channel with hexchat?

You should be able to:

http://freenode.net/kb/answer/chat

Firas

Tue May 19, 2020 8:31:26 am

Good day
is there a Discord channel ?
or just the IRC ?

thank u

Swarfendor437

Tue May 19, 2020 2:19:55 pm

Firas wrote:Good day
is there a Discord channel ?