This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Mobile Phones

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:59:42 pm

Well, recently became the proud owner of a OnePlus 3 - here is my home screen:

https://forums.oneplus.net/attachments/ ... ng.446907/

MBMz10

Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:05:51 pm

I Googled "one plus 3"
OnePlus3.png

1+3=4 Sorry but I got a laugh out of it! :lol:

Its a "Phone". I haven't heard of it before as I live under a rather large rock!
I am still using my 10-12 year old Nokia, it just works.
Nokia.JPG

Have been to the shops and looked at new smart phones a few times over the last few years but always came away even more confused about what I wanted.
Now things are a changing for me and I want to be able to 'tether' a phone to my laptop for on the road Internet access as I get a 1GB monthly allowance. I managed to get the Nokia working but a simple page took a minute or 2 to load.
Also the $600 AU plus is way more than I can justify for this.

So how does the one plus 3 compare to other smart phones in features cost etc? How long does the battery last?
I have seen work mates using their phone to email or check the weather and even show my something on Youtube, this does all of that and more?
I am interested to get feedback from someone that 'lives' with it as there is nothing like using an item for a while to see the real world features and benefits or down sides that a spec sheet and sales person just don't give.

Cheers

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:29:49 am

Hi, First off my personal circumstances changed recently which allowed me to buy a 1+3, not least because when I looked at buying the 1+2 you had to have a PayPal account. Having just looked at the cost of 64 Gb iPhone in Oz at AU$1049 it does not match the spec of a 1+3. My main advice to you is that you don't buy a smart phone with nothing less than 16 Gb storage with possibly option for additional storage. I made the mistake of buying an HTC 310 with only 4 Gb storage which meant having to uninstall apps then re-establish apps because updates reported not enough room. Whichever you buy if Android be sure to install ES File Explorer to manage your phone. ;) :D

[Posted from my 1+3!]

MBMz10

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:11:16 pm

Thanks for that. Nothing talking to the owner, be it a car, dishwasher or phone to find all the nitti gritti stuff out.
I was looking at phones yesterday (Internet) after posting above and many of the cheaper ones, say below $200 AU had only 1 or 2 GB storage and I thought if I wanted to take Video or many pictures maybe I would need 4GB or so but but now I am thinking more as you suggest. $1000 for a phone, I could build a PC for that, I guess they are mini PC's but can't justify that sort of $ myself. Mind you I bought a Nvidia GTX 1070 for $850 AU a week ago and was bleeding about that having never spent more than about $80 for a GPU before, but now it is nice to see better graphics and FPS in game so figure same with phone, once you start to use it you realise the value and wonder how you lived without for so long...

Android is most likely, yes.

Regarding PayPal, I avoided all this till about 2 years ago when the elec window switch on the car failed and Ford wanted about $250 AU for new one, ebay for about $40 (new) so I bit the bullet reluctantly. Wasn't keen about credit card online and all. Here in the land of OZ you can get a Prepaid Visa card at the Post Office for about $6 and use that online, I just top it up when I need to and they can only only get you for that amount and no need to use your main accounts online. I love ebay now, delivered to my door.

Anyway thanks for the tips.

[sent from my PC cause I don't have suitable phone]

MBMz10

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:07:13 am

Well I did it, got new smart phone. I was hovering in the sub $200 range for a while but ended up with a Motorola Moto G (3rd Gen) for about $300.
Bit of an eye opener for me! Damn thing was tracking me on google maps and wanted to know everything about me. Google getting in everywhere.
Being that Android is, as far as I thought anyway, some derivative of Linux or using a modified kernel or such I was so not expecting any of what I got.
People complain about Canonical and Ubuntu etc (Windows??) but all the 'background' stuff was some shock to me. I almost binned it in disgust!

Sort of over the shock now and figure can this all help or serve me, can I use it and not be too paranoid about it, well time will tell but I think so.
So not expecting all that, what a shocker.
Got ES file explorer and a few other apps installed. Tethering to the laptop. Installed a wifi analysing app today that might be useful. Also a 32GB flash card so guess I'm good to go, for a while.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:25:48 am

Hi Android is basically part of Google but you can disable stuff you don't want that is Google oriented by going into settings then apps. The only annoying thing is you need a Gmail account to download apps partly a security measure but a pain if you forget your password so write it down somewhere and keep it secure. I use Comoros Security for mobile which is brilliant at blocking unlisted numbers dead in their tracks so remember if you telephone a new number and they will ring you back, if not in Contacts list it will be blocked until you tell it otherwise. ;) :D