This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hello From New User :)

star treker

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:31:43 pm

Yo! :D

So I am obviously new to the forum, alright don't welcome me all at once. :lol:

I've been using computers since the original Mac classic back in the 80's. I grew up in school learning Mac's and I graduated around the time that the MAC G4 machines came out. I was used to the old style system 6 through system 9.2.2, but I thought Apple lost their darn minds when they came out with system 10. I started building my own pc's back in high school, I actually learned a lot from a tech guy who worked there. I've used Windows OS's from Win 3.1 all the way to Windows 7. By far Windows Millennium AKA My Enemy, and Windows Vista were the worst OS's of all time.

Then Windows bloody 8 had to come out. Anyone ever used an Xbox 360 before? OK, you know how the OS looks that way so you can see what your doing on a tv that your sitting 8 feet away from right? They got this great idea, oh look at us, we made everything huge in Windows 8 to look like your Xbox 360, cause we here at Microsoft assume that you are all a bunch of 5yo who really need everything big in order to operate it. In reality it was just an OS for their silly tablets, but chose to make it for everything, like its the be all end all for computer OS's, right. And then Windows f****** 10 had to come out, omg, its like were going back to My Enemy, where Microsoft truly is your enemy!

Not only does Windows 10 completely and utterly fail in the lack of driver support, not only has the upgrade to it bricked many people's machines. But now to use it, you have to bend over and take it up where the sun don't shine when it comes to your privacy from Microsoft. They don't care about your constitutional rights, nope, they figure if you agree to install it on your system, you are giving them the right to snoop and report all your activities all over the place. Oh gee Microsoft, when exactly did you go from being a OS giant manufacturer to a dictator? So when I found out about what Windows 10 was all about, I said well f*** that! :D

I purchased Zorin Linux OS 9 Ultimate over a month ago and I have been using it on my Acer notebook ever since. Its way faster then Windows 7 ever was, and on this SSD drive, holy c***, Zorin will literally boot in 10-seconds! VS Windows 7 30-seconds on same SSD. I am able to do almost everything I could do with Windows 7 on Zorin, except tripple A games, many of which don't have linux support and can't be run with Wine either. Over time I've been learning a little bit more about Linux as I go. And while there is still room for improvement when it comes to OS 9, its still far better of an OS then Windows!

I know that OS 12 is in beta right now, good that Zorin team dev's are allowing people to test it and report back their findings. I am waiting for the final release, and then I am going to buy Zorin OS 12 Ultimate, cause I like my OS's fully featured and eye candy! :D So good job Zorin team, your old OS 9 may not be perfect, but its lightyears ahead of the competition, so I wanted to thankyou for everything you guys are doing over here. :)

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:13:13 pm

Hi and Welcome! Thanks for your history in technology experience and for sharing it with us. ;-) :D

star treker

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:10:33 pm

Thankyou swarfender! :D

I was reading your sig and then I remembered that Zorin OS 9 was designed to run on older computer's. I was wondering if Zorin OS 12 will also be designed to run on older computers as well. I am running an older file server system from 2005 that only has 4GB of RAM. Of course I should build a new machine, but I don't got 1000 dollars to build a new one so I have to make due. I'd like to be able to install OS 12 on it, do you think it would run well?

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:06:29 pm

Depending on the processor you have 4 Gb Ram should be plenty enough to run as I ran the 32-bit 12 Beta on machine with 4 Gb RAM - spec in my sig. ;) :D

star treker

Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:09:00 pm

My file server consists of an Asus A8V-Deluxe motherboard, AMD 64 3500+ 1-core CPU, 4GB of DDR400 2 clock memory, ATI Radeon HD 3850-AGP video card. I am currently running Windows 7 ultimate 32-bit on it, but its a 64-bit machine so it should be able to run a 64-bit OS. The problem with running 32-bit Windows OS, is that it won't fully utilize the 4GB of RAM, it only uses like 3GB of it, which kind of ruins performance.

So please tell me Zorin OS 12 gets released in a week, I can't wait to buy it! :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:33:30 pm

Hi, I'm a volunteer Moderator, not a Dev for the Team - they are still working on it - I have had issues getting the 64-bit installed if you care to read the feedback section, first topic, last page. ;) :D

star treker

Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:21:03 pm

Well, regardless its still nice to meet you! :D

Thats not good, I hope they can correct that issue by the time of the release. My biggest issue with OS 9, other then some things being far too complex involving the console all the time that is, is how poorly the update system is constructed. Literally your boot partition is only like 250MB, and everytime the OS updates the Kernal, it leaves the old one. Then eventually you will run into the pain in the a** bug where it says, there is no more space, can't update. This is potentially a deal breaker issue for me, as I am planning to install OS 12 on three computers, 2 notebooks, and a file server, I need reliability, not issues like that. So I am really hoping that Zorin gets that one fixed in OS 12. Remember, I am not a seasoned linux user, I am used to Windows, so I need things to just work you know? ;)

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:23:53 pm

OK, you have 2 options - the first is to install 'Ubuntu Tweak' - whilst the 'Apps' element is currently not working, it does have the system cleaning tool, Janitor which allows you to check mark which kernels and other files you want to get rid of to make your install as good as new. The alternative to 'Janitor' is 'Bleach Bit' - a forum member reported that he discovered that you have to run Bleach Bit as 'Root' first, then run as 'Authorised User'. Both do the job well - and remember always worth leaving the previous kernel in place in case the new one has issues with your hardware etc. ;) :D