Nvidia whiteout /blackout problem fix & driver install guide

Re: Nvidia whiteout /blackout problem fix & driver install g

Postby botcrusher » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:26 pm

wolf you kinda missed the point there. as i had said, the cards labeled as OEM ARE NOT the same card as the ones not labeled OEM
Geforce GT 620 != Geforce GT 620 OEM
they are in fact different cards. (OEM is the sketchy card)
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop ... ifications
The guts are rather different.
mainly that the OEM model has ram that's slower than my desktop ram XD (Well, ok not really GPU memory is always faster per clock)
botcrusher

Postby botcrusher » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:28 pm

Wolfman wrote:@Swarf,

did you remove the drivers at root level in "Recovery Mode" and then restart and do recovery again by running "DPKG" per the instructions?.

i did those and i had to instal the 319 instead.
botcrusher

Postby Wolfman » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 am

botcrusher wrote:wolf you kinda missed the point there. as i had said, the cards labeled as OEM ARE NOT the same card as the ones not labeled OEM
Geforce GT 620 != Geforce GT 620 OEM
they are in fact different cards. (OEM is the sketchy card)
The guts are rather different.
mainly that the OEM model has ram that's slower than my desktop ram XD (Well, ok not really GPU memory is always faster per clock)

Hi botcrusher,

I understood what you said and this is why I put warnings on the page so people make sure that they select the correct driver for their model, there are so many with almost the same name that is easy to select and install the wrong drivers!. But thankyou for making a point of it!.

The lists of the supported drivers was copied directly from the Nvidia support pages so they should be correct one would think?, or wouldn't one?. :D
Regards Wolfman :D

Kindness is something the blind can see and the deaf can hear :)

Preparation and planning prevent poor performance! :)

Free Ubuntu User Manual: https://ubuntu-manual.org/
Wolfman

Postby Andrew » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:47 pm

I installed the nvidia drivers for my GForce FX 5500, which has the legacy 173 drivers....the screen is now black and I can't do anything with this....running Zorin OS 9 core 32 bit...machine is a Compaq Presario, with a AMD Sempron 3100+ 2GB mem 80GB HDD. What else can I do except to try and unistall these....apparently they're not working....thanks
Dell Latitude D820/Intel Core2 Duo 2.33Ghz/4GB Crucial/320GB WD HDD/Nvidia Quadro NVS 120M 256MB/Intel-Pro Wireless 4965AGN Zorin OS 9 LTS-64/Win7-32
Andrew

Postby Wolfman » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 am

Hi Andrew,

assuming you installed the "nvidia-173" (legacy) package, restart yor PC in recovery mode and activate "Network" ( a network cable connection is required), then go to "root shell" and type the following commands:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get remove nvidia-173 && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

(The above command should be typed as written above!)

Then restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on resume!.

Let us know how you get on. :D

Wolfman

Postby Andrew » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:19 pm

Hello Wolfman,

Tried both methods and both ways get me a black screen, no desktop.....so I end up going back in using your methods prior to actual booting into the desktop itself, and undoing everything....so it's currently using the stock drivers that come with the OS, can't use either propriatery drivers on that particular machine....strangly enough (stratching my head :? )

Thank you for your assistance, I don't know what else to do....
Dell Latitude D820/Intel Core2 Duo 2.33Ghz/4GB Crucial/320GB WD HDD/Nvidia Quadro NVS 120M 256MB/Intel-Pro Wireless 4965AGN Zorin OS 9 LTS-64/Win7-32
Andrew

Postby Wolfman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:26 am

Hi Andrew,

I assume that your rig won't work with any Nvidia drivers and you should stick with the opensource pre-installed drivers!.

Do you still have a black screen?, did you install/remove the 304 (nvidia-current) package which most likely won't help!.

You should wait and try Zorin Lite 9 when it comes out or go with Lubuntu on which Zorin Lite is based!.

Wolfman

Postby botcrusher » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi,

according to the list, you can use the 331 version too!.

GeForce GTX 690, GeForce GTX 680, GeForce GTX 670, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, GeForce GTX 660, GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST, GeForce GTX 650 Ti, GeForce GTX 650, GeForce GTX 645, GeForce GT 645, GeForce GT 640, GeForce GT 630, GeForce GT 620, GeForce GT 610, GeForce 605
GeForce 600M Series (Notebooks):

I'm back XD
I can confirm that no, the card does not work. Because the gt 620 (oem) IS NOT the same as the gt 620. I can only assume they meant to leave out the oem version, reading a changelog of the newest drive adds support for the oem version of some other 600's, but did not mention the 620 oem
I have reproduced the issue again after installing zorin OS 9.
Nvidia's naming scheme has always been a little cryptic (the gt 605 - 640 are actually previous gen fermi's that got renamed) and the oem cards are even stranger.
Could you please note that the oem cards may not work with that or the new current driver?
I just want to note that i have a gt 610 that does work with the current driver, (note that the 610 is only a lesser clocked real gt 620 with much less cuda cores)
botcrusher

Postby Dr. Mabuse » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:12 pm

t is important to restart your PC in "Recovery Mode" and select "Network" (Cable Only!!) and then run "DPKG" in case there are any updates and after you have done the updates (Mesa, Xorg etc!), restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on "Resume"

When I select "Network", I get
ModemManager [861]: <warn> Couldn't find support for device at 'sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0e.0/0000:02:08.0: not supported by any plugin

I suppose it can't find the ethernet adapter? But it works as it should when Zorin loads normally. I have internet access from the computer.
Dr. Mabuse

Postby Wolfman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:44 pm

Dr. Mabuse wrote:
t is important to restart your PC in "Recovery Mode" and select "Network" (Cable Only!!) and then run "DPKG" in case there are any updates and after you have done the updates (Mesa, Xorg etc!), restart your PC with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on "Resume"

When I select "Network", I get
ModemManager [861]: <warn> Couldn't find support for device at 'sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:0e.0/0000:02:08.0: not supported by any plugin

I suppose it can't find the ethernet adapter? But it works as it should when Zorin loads normally. I have internet access from the computer.

Hi,

ignore that warning and continue as advised per the update guide when running "dpkg"!. :D

Wolfman

Previous

Return to Zorin OS