Nvidia whiteout /blackout problem fix & driver install guide

Re: [SOLVED] Nvidia white-out problem "FIX"

Postby seahorse » Fri May 24, 2013 2:42 pm

Wolfman

Since the last post I have lost the complete system and have spent several days rebuilding.
Not even there yet. This last re-install I have no ability to set the apple look. The look changer
has only the one for the free version. I am using the the Zorin OS 6.2 Ultimate. This is a serious
problem for me. After last re-install, where it says to reboot, I selected the button and opened the
dvd tray. The screen went white, and hard drive activity for a good twenty minutes. Then I turned
the machine off at it start/stop button. Then went Recovery mode. Did the network -> DPKG.
after another 10 to 15 minutes of real work, I was done. Then the ctrl alt del restart. I did notice
something during this DPKG, most y/N are of this type, however at least 1 is Y/n type. While
the casual user would miss this change, advanced users will not most of the time. They all need
to be consistant.
Now CCSM is another bucket of worms. alt-tab works in non nvida current driver, but with current
Nvidia driver, it is an abomination. Installed Nvidia as descriped earlier with an Recover mode using
network, dpkg and reboot ctl alt del methos. The for the next two to three reboots
System Tool -> Administration menu is not there. Finally it does reappear. This is not good.
Now I need a *.deb to reinstall look changer for all desktops please. Will continue with ccsm to find
the problem. It appears to be a memory issue, ccsm does try to do the alt tab before a system wide
lockup.

Rick
seahorse

Re: [SOLVED] Nvidia white-out problem "FIX"

Postby Wolfman » Fri May 24, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi Rick,

sorry but I have only just seen this as you should have posted in "Help & Support".

Sounds like you have a mess on your hands!!.

Do the following:

1. Restart in recovery mode and run "FSCK" then restart again using Ctrl + Alt+ Del.

2. Select recovery mode again and this time select "Drop to root shell" and type the following command:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

and once done, restart again.

3. In recovery mode for the 3rd time, activate "Network" and then "DPKG" and say "Y" when asked, restart again and this time normally and see what happens.

Did you install the pacakges "kde-full and gnome" ???. If not; paste this command in a terminal and restart your PC afterwards:

sudo apt-get install kde-full gnome

Let us know how you get on.

Regards Wolfman :D

Kindness is something the blind can see and the deaf can hear :)

Preparation and planning prevent poor performance! :)

Free Ubuntu User Manual: https://ubuntu-manual.org/
Wolfman

Re: [SOLVED] Nvidia white/black-out problem "FIX"

Postby Swarfendor437 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:56 pm

HI Wolfman, 120 blue jewels over due to you sir! :D This solved my 'blackouts' in Zorin 8 RC - not got round to installing final yet! :D
http://www.vimeo.com
trisquel.info
gnome-look.org

Machine: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB 3, AMD Phenom II x 6, 4 Gb RAM, nVidia Graphics GT620 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Re: [SOLVED] Nvidia white/black-out problem "FIX"

Postby Wolfman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:16 am

Added all major Nvidia graphic cards list so you can see if your card is supported by what driver!. :D

Wolfman

Re: Nvidia whiteout /blackout problem fix & driver install g

Postby botcrusher » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:01 pm

***Note to everyone***
Before you jump by seeing your card number on the list: PLEASE NOTE THAT CARDS WITH AN OEM DESIGNATION ARE INTERNALLY DIFFERENT AND MAY NOT BE SUPPORTED BY DRIVERS! THIS IS CONFIRMED ON THE GT 620 (OEM) failing to use the 319 driver on these cards WILL RESULT IN A BLACK SCREEN.

Edit: fixed driver number to 319 heh,heh,heh.
Last edited by botcrusher on Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
botcrusher

Postby Swarfendor437 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:14 pm

botcrusher wrote:***Note to everyone***
Before you jump by seeing your card number on the list: PLEASE NOTE THAT CARDS WITH AN OEM DESIGNATION ARE INTERNALLY DIFFERENT AND MAY NOT BE SUPPORTED BY DRIVERS! THIS IS CONFIRMED ON THE GT 620 (OEM) failing to use the 119 driver on these cards WILL RESULT IN A BLACK SCREEN.

Hi I think you mean 319 - 304 should be ok for you - I am just annoyed that you have to turn acceleration off to get rid of 'smurfville'! - so I am back to Nouveau and NOT missing nVidia one bit! :mrgreen:
trisquel.info
gnome-look.org

Machine: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB 3, AMD Phenom II x 6, 4 Gb RAM, nVidia Graphics GT620 (2 Gb)
Swarfendor437

Postby Wolfman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:24 pm

botcrusher wrote:***Note to everyone***
Before you jump by seeing your card number on the list: PLEASE NOTE THAT CARDS WITH AN OEM DESIGNATION ARE INTERNALLY DIFFERENT AND MAY NOT BE SUPPORTED BY DRIVERS! THIS IS CONFIRMED ON THE GT 620 (OEM) failing to use the 319 driver on these cards WILL RESULT IN A BLACK SCREEN.

Edit: fixed driver number to 319 heh,heh,heh.

Hi,

according to the list, you can use the 331 version too!.

GeForce GTX 690, GeForce GTX 680, GeForce GTX 670, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, GeForce GTX 660, GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST, GeForce GTX 650 Ti, GeForce GTX 650, GeForce GTX 645, GeForce GT 645, GeForce GT 640, GeForce GT 630, GeForce GT 620, GeForce GT 610, GeForce 605
GeForce 600M Series (Notebooks):

Wolfman

Postby Swarfendor437 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:30 am

Hi Wolfman, I tried that driver first and ended up in low graphics mode with no way out! ;)
trisquel.info
gnome-look.org

Swarfendor437

Postby Wolfman » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:16 pm

@Swarf,

did you remove the drivers at root level in "Recovery Mode" and then restart and do recovery again by running "DPKG" per the instructions?.

Wolfman

Postby Swarfendor437 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi Wolfman, no, I think I did a reinstall - even tried earlier kernels but that was a week ago now - finally got around to trying the updated 304 drivers - not teste don video yet - using Dark Table the nouveau drivers crashed out so back trying nvidia again but heartbleed has got my gnome-look account now (I could be wrong) as I am now locked out! :(
trisquel.info
gnome-look.org

Swarfendor437

PreviousNext

Return to Zorin OS