This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

VIRTUAL BOX RESOLUTION! (Zorin 9)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:13:22 pm

OK, there is a big problem with VB in 9 - it does not work - you have to remove it via terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge virtualbox
or
Code:
sudo apt-get remove virtualbox

Then go to this site:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

At the top of the list of downloads you choose i386 for 32-bit Zorin 9 and for 64-bit AMD64.

Once installed, if you can't find it (I cant even find it in my Gnome DE! :evil:

open a terminal and enter:

Code:
virtualbox

chuckbattams

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:10:18 pm

is that ...

Ubuntu 13.04 ("Raring Ringtail") / 13.10 ("Saucy Salamander") / 14.04 ("Trusty Tahr")

line???

Chuck

SplatOz

Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:53:51 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, there is a big problem with VB in 9 - it does not work - you have to remove it via terminal:

Swarfendor437, is this still true? I used the Software Center to download/install VirtualBox last week and so far it seems to be working fine. I downloaded a Linux distro and ran it no problem. However, I didn't do much more than boot the iso, i.e. I didn't install it, and play with the interface a little bit.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:50:17 pm

Hi, things may have been resolved since the initial release - in particular I was reporting issues with Zorin 9 Ultimate 32-bit - and it was not just a Zorin issue - on the City forum where I live members using Fedora also report that downloading and installing from the official site was better than using the repos! :D

SILVERFOX

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:02:37 am

When I start virtualbox after creating the windows box it tells me that there is no bootable medium. What do I need to do?

SILVERFOX

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:13:19 am

Nevermind. I need to find a disc with Windows on it. I'll have to.... look around.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:59:12 am

SILVERFOX wrote:Nevermind. I need to find a disc with Windows on it. I'll have to.... look around.

That goes for any OS you want to run in Windows or GNU/Linux - unless you have an .iso :D

SILVERFOX

Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:19:14 pm

I downloaded an ISO, that'll work by its self?

SILVERFOX

Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:25:46 am

Never mind.... I figured it out. The way it's setup is awesome.

Swarfendor437

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:42:27 am

You might also like:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/I ... 5623.shtml

This is to run .iso images from a thumb/flash drive - and comes packed with VB too! ;)

kb5050

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:49:10 pm

Have began with Windows XP, and it is wonderful, and now I can go and play all those OLD games I had laying around for ages that wont work in Windows 7-8-10 etc.
Everything works great, and perfect but for 1 thing.

Full Screen is cool, but isnt any bigger than the Window mode. However an interesting note. If I INCREASE Windows XP Virtual Screen Resolution the window and or full screen grows larger rather than smaller. This is fine but odd.
However every other aspect is perfection.

The one thing that did seem to fail, is allocating too much RAM. Also 10GB is not going to work out to be able to install a lot of games. As a first time user, I am SURE there is probably a simple way to Increase the size of the virtual hard drive, and/or to add another storage location. That is what I would like to do, to attach another hard drive space to use for the stuff I want/plan to install into windows. Yeah some of it as known from experience will still end up on the Virtual C drive, but I would like to be able to take and use another drive/partition in my system to allow much more things to install. My main use of it after all will be games. I want to keep it online however for any older games that still want internet access.

Hey you can get iso images of almost any OS or you could simply borrow one since updates and validations would probably be a total waste of time depending on how you intend to use it.
I already had an OEM of XP someone gave me so was easy peasy. Well more time to install Windows XP than to install the games onto it.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:40:25 am

Hi, Can you create a new thread please - this is a 'How-to/Advisory' thread! ;)

mojolinux

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:37:49 pm

Hey Swarfendor437

I realize I`m replying to a very old POST about Virtual Box NOT working on Zorin 9, but I have recently successfully installed (Zorin provided) Oracle VM Virtual Box (4.3.1.0) on my Zorin 9 installation (host), and now have a fully installed and working Win7 (guest) VM.

I am however having problems with the guest Windows7 VM being able to use any USB drive, or even my Optical drive, both of which still function OK when used in my Zorin 9 (host) install!

I have installed the Oracle "VM Virtual Box Extension Pack" to my Zorin install as instructed by another forum, and am able to check mark the "Enable USB Controller" and the "Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller" in the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager (when not running Win7), and can boot and run the win7 VM with these two now checked, but I still am unable to use my USB Flash Drive or Optical Drive (inside the Win7 (guest) VM! They both still are allocated(?) to the Zorin (host) installation!

I know this isnt a Virtual Box Forum, but could this have anything to do with your initial statement that Oracle`s Virtual Box will NOT work with Zorin 9?

Thanks for any insight into this matter.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:01:20 am

Hi my statement was not that VB would not work with Zorin - the version that first shipped wtih Zorin would not run correctly, hence this post! I am not in Zorin as I write this but look for promiscuous mode somewhere in the settings - which allows you to talk to hardware from the VM. ;) :D

mojolinux

Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:07:10 pm

Hi Swarfendor437

Thanks for your reply to my Virtual Box question.
I have so far managed to access my Optical drive by adding gnome-system-tools to my Zorin installation.

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools

After installation, under the (newly added) gnome system tools, go to Manage Groups / User Settings / Group Settings and add *VBOXUSERS* to the list.
This supposedly should now allow *both* Optical and USB Drives to now be included in the VB. However, I can only use my optical drive and still NOT the USB drive!

(Snip from a different forum post)

The vboxusers will be in the /etc/group file. You edit it with something like nano .

sudo nano /etc/group

Add your user to the vboxusers line, or create one if necessary.

As Takkat has pointed out, to get full USB device support, you'll need to install the full (not the OSE) version of Virtualbox.

The ppa I have for the "official" virtualbox is here:

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox-offical-source.list:
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian maverick contrib #VirtualBox Offical Source

*Note the mention of installing the "full (not the OSE) version of Virtualbox" Is this outdated info?

Any further comments are welcomed. Your prompt replies are GREATLY appreciated by this Zorin user!
Also, I am NOT quite clear as to your mention of "promiscuous mode" in your previous reply. Look in Zorin settings??

Thanks again

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:03:37 pm

If time I will look at your findings tomorrow! Promiscuous mode is something inside of VB program - whether you want the VM to access your machine or vice-versa or both! ;)

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:13:42 pm

OK, Sorry, got distracted in respect of looking what you found but here is where you should be looking to access your USB as I have done on this instance with Oz-Diamond BII 64-bit being the Host and MakuluLinux as the VM - unfortunately my Zorin 9 Lite VM did not want to play ball this evening. My USB stick is MultiSystem which I use for carrying portable OS's around (like Unetbootin only better! ;) ) Here I have copied a modified wallpaper of Zorin 10 that was on my stick and placed it in Pictures folder of VM of Makulu Linux and set as Wallpaper in Makulu Linux (except that it wouldn't stick! ;-)

57.jpg

So basically, to access your USB, make sure that the clipboard and drag'n'drop are bi-directional - so you can say copy wallpapers from an .iso you like in VB to your Harddrive OS! :D

Hope this helps!

mojolinux

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:55:33 pm

Thanks again Swarfendor437 for your help and time helping me sort things out!

Well I can now personally attest to the fact that Zorin 9 and it`s provided "OSE" (Oracle) Virtual Box version (4.3.10 _Ubuntu r93012) works jut fine together, including accessing Optical Drive and USB Flash Drive when in the Virtual machine!! After days of Googling I finally got my Win7 *Guest* to work with the two ingredients I had missing from having a satisfactory VM along side my Zorin 9 *Host*

I believe the most important thing I did was was to ad the gnome-system- tools and the *CORRECT* VM Virtual Box Extension Pack for Zorin 9`s provided OSE Virtual Box found here: http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... ox-extpack.

After installing above, there is still more fiddlin' to do inside the Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager (while the guest is off) to set the Optical and Flash Drives up for when the guest is running.
You must realize that these devices can only run on one system at a time, so they need to be set up to be used in the VM VirtualBox Manager while the host is still up and running and guest shut off.

I found that if I insert my flash drive in host Zorin, then eject it while still inserted, I can then go to the VM VirtualBox Manager and set up the USB tabs for the guest by clicking on the + sign with the proper filter for when the guest is to be started. After guest VM is up and running, I insert (again) the same USB Flash drive as before, which is then ID'd and proper drivers are auto added, and eventually a dialogue box asking what to do with new USB drive pops onto desktop with my folders and files ready to be accessed (finally) on the guest VM !!

Thanks again

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:02:02 pm

Great post mojolinux, and thanks for sharing, so 120 blue jewels to you! :D

mojolinux

Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:22:36 pm

Swarfendor 437

Your most welcome!
Glad to be of some help in this matter.

kit_carmelite

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:32:21 am

I am considering running Zorin 9 Core from Virtual Box. I am a real beginner here so I need to know if problems mentioned above have been resolved. I want to start by running it on VB to start with. If there is a better way to run Zorin with Windows 7 (64-bit), please advise!

I eventually hope to leave Windows behind entirely and have only Zorin on my next laptop. :)

Swarfendor437

Thu May 05, 2016 7:47:59 pm

You could always dual-boot

https://vimeo.com/110085401

or alternatively create a bootable USB stick with persistence - that means you can save your data to memory stick withoug losing it when you boot back into Wndows.