This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install Zorin OS 12 on new unformatted SSD (possible ?)

Den Hook

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:46:48 pm

Hello dear Zorin users,

I've got some problems with my SSD-drive. So I wanted to install a new one and reinstall Zorin OS 12 Ultimate on this new drive.
I know which SSD drive will fit and can be installed in stead of the one I use now.

The problem (for me) is that I've asked if this new SSD-drive is formatted and that is NOT the case. :?

So my questions are now: If I insert the new SSD drive and I boot from my bootable USB-stick on which Zorin-OS 12 is installed as instructed:

1st: Will Zorin recognise the new SSD ?
2nd: Will Zorin ask me to format this new drive ? Or otherwise, can I choose to format it, during installation (I saw an option for LVM ??)
3rd: If not so, how to handle, so how to format this new SSD before changing the old for the new drive with Zorin or other tooling.

Thanks for you're advice. :lol:

Den Hook

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:47:08 pm

Maybe this option works, so I would like an expert advice to confirm this idea.

When I boot from USB-stick with Zorin OS as a trial-session with no installation. Then, maybe I could start a Terminal session and enter a command that formats the new SSD ??

Should that be an easy way to make a new SSD ready for a new installation of Zorin OS ?? :idea:

And what should be the Linux/Ubuntu/Zorin command to do so ?? :geek:

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:42:31 pm

This is why I can't be bothered to use SSD technology!:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1932325

Den Hook

Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:00:48 pm

This is why I can't be bothered to use SSD technology!:

That's clear, but my laptop allready works fine with Zorin installed on SSD. So this could work.

The second questions is: Does the installation-proces of Zorin make it possible to format a new SSD before installation of the OS itself ?

PS. The question is also applicable for a regular hard drive.....

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:30:06 pm

That has always been the case as when you get round to the installation process GParted (Gnome Partition Editor) launches but after installation, most Gnome DE's appear to remove the GParted application! :o