This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin OS 9.1 Core Install from USB Problem

lscstu22

Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:15:41 am

Hello Zorin OS forum,

I'm attempting to install Zorin OS 9.1 Core from a USB flash drive, but I can't get the flash drive to work. I'm greeted with: No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

These are the steps I took to create the bootable USB flash drive on Debian Jessie:
Code:
sudo dd count=1 bs=512 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb && sync
sudo parted /dev/sdb mklabel msdos
sudo parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary fat32 0% 100%
sudo mkfs.vfat -F32 /dev/sdb1
cd ~/Downloads && sudo dd if=zorin-os-9.1-core-64.iso of=/dev/sdb && sync

Do I have a corrupted iso, or did I download the wrong one?

EDIT: Replaced /path/to/zorinos.iso to actual command

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:55:32 pm

Hi, when using the terminal command to refer to any *.iso you should use the same name convention as per the original downloaded file, in your case (assuming a 32-bit download)

Code:
zorin-os-9-core-32.iso

For an easier life run MultiSystem:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

lscstu22

Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:31:40 pm

Thank you for the reply. When I ran the commands, I did indeed put the actual .iso file name and not /path/to/zorinos.iso lol.

I'm using the zorin-os-9.1-core-64.iso ... any idea why I'm getting the "No bootable device" error?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:56:15 pm

Does your BIOS/Machine support booting from other devices? That is where you need to make the changes - if not you will need 'PLOP' boot manager':

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/download.html

My other thoughts are the way it is trying to install - My usb software of choice is Multisystem.

Also spotted on a post you responded to that you have encrypted drives - possible issue? ;) :D

lscstu22

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:11:05 am

What is multisystem? Is that another type of iso download? Are there any Zorin OS mirrors?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:12:26 pm

Multisystem is a USB creation tool - they stopped issuing it on Softpedia so I posted it on here on that link I gave you earlier! You stated you used a GNU/Linux OS (Debian?) so you could install it on that to run - I posted a video on my vimeo account (same user name) and a link in that post above! ;) :D

lscstu22

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:31:02 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Does your BIOS/Machine support booting from other devices?

Yes :|

Swarfendor437 wrote:Also spotted on a post you responded to that you have encrypted drives - possible issue? ;) :D

I don't think so ;)

Swarfendor437 wrote:Multisystem is a USB creation tool - they stopped issuing it on Softpedia so I posted it on here on that link I gave you earlier! You stated you used a GNU/Linux OS (Debian?) so you could install it on that to run - I posted a video on my vimeo account (same user name) and a link in that post above! ;) :D

Oh I understand now. I checked out your video on vimeo, but the resolution isn't high enough. I can't see what you're doing :?

I try and stick to terminal for this kind of stuff anyways. I can dd an Ubuntu iso just fine on the same flash drive, so I'm just confused as to why I can't do the same for Zorin OS since it's based on Ubuntu. I understand Zorin OS is a different distribution, but dd has always worked for me for all the major distros (Debian, Ubuntu, openSUSE, CentOS, Fedora, Gentoo, Arch, etc). The only time it hasn't was when I made bootable usb installers for the BSD variants, and in that case there was a separate img or iso available at their download mirrors specifically for USB installers.

Do you know of any terminal based solutions? Thanks for all your help thus far! :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:12:25 pm

Hi, I don't actually. Regarding the video, unfortunately I made a mistake using some new desktop recording software. I haven't installed on this rig yet so will give it another shot. My experience with Unetbootin is that it attempted to create an iso and after 20 minutes only to tell me it is not supported - Multisystem is great for graphical users as it just works with drag and drop - if it doesn't it tells you instantly! ;) :D

lscstu22

Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:53:32 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I don't actually

Alright, thanks for all your help anyways ;) :D

I'm on Debian so I usually have to compile those usb installer programs from source to be able to use them, whereas the repos contain Brasero, an awesome FOSS dvd burner program. I'll probably just try my luck with burning a dvd 8-)

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:12:16 am

Hi, it is simple enough to run that Multisystem with the .sh install command! Just a word of warning regarding Brasero - it works fine if you launch it first, THEN choose the iso - unless you want a shiny coaster for your mug of coffee to sit on. Always start Brasero first, choose burn image and browse to the Zorin iso. ;) :D

lscstu22

Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:24:44 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, it is simple enough to run that Multisystem with the .sh install command! Just a word of warning regarding Brasero - it works fine if you launch it first, THEN choose the iso - unless you want a shiny coaster for your mug of coffee to sit on. Always start Brasero first, choose burn image and browse to the Zorin iso. ;) :D

No worries, the installer started up from the DVD perfectly! :D

I'm going to mark this as solved, but with the disclaimer that Zorin OS 9 doesn't support creating a USB installer from terminal.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:30:26 am

Well that is interesting as if memory serves me correctly, MultiSystem uses some script to run a terminal command when creating each iso to the USB! ;) :D

lscstu22

Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:32:54 am

:mrgreen:
Swarfendor437 wrote:Well that is interesting as if memory serves me correctly, MultiSystem uses some script to run a terminal command when creating each iso to the USB! ;) :D

Oh I just meant there doesn't seem to be any official documentation on the subject ;) or options available here :(

Is the source for MultiSystem open and available? If it does just use a shell script I'll copy how it works 8-)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:13:26 pm

Hi, you can visit their project page here:

http://liveusb.info/dotclear/

Hope your French is up to scratch! ;) :D