This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Third attempt dual install

brainshower

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:43:13 am

DV1000 Hp XP Home Edition SP3 Intel Celeron 1.46GHz 1.24GB RAM
Zorin 9.0 Lite on bootable USB
I want to get every step right this time, so I will move carefully
XP is installed defragged and working. Screenshot is NOT available on my Zorin accessories screen. Attached is my gparted disk (screenshot courtesy of my iPhone)
1) There are multiple postings about using gparted. I lost the very specific clear one. Can you give me the specific settings I should use to prepare the drive for Zorin to be added.
2) Is there a reason why postings suggest NOT using the option in setup that automatically installs alongside XP? Many posts suggest using "Other"
3) Reading the "Post Install guide" it indicates the next step is to update Zorin, so I intend to NOT have ethernet connected on the initial install but connected for the update

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:57:30 pm

Firstly, some clarity - are you happy with GRUB (this is the Bootloader for GNU/Linux - GRand Unified Bootloader) which will overwrite your Windows MBR (Master Boot Record) so if you want to get rid of Zorin Lite in the future, your XP will be unbootable!) I would go down the Easy BCD route.

In respect of Screenshot I had my Core head on or if you have read about it being in accessories - been a while since I played with Lite!

As to "other" this is the best option.

In respect of not being connected for updates may create issues for wireless connections/drivers - hence Wolfman's advice! :D

brainshower

Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:27:55 pm

I watched the excellent video and this is finally getting thru to me. I will follow the advice and try the setup suggested in the video. The explanation re wireless possibly getting messed up also makes sense. I think I previously used "Shutter" to get screenshots, so I'll try that again

brainshower

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:47:28 am

Well I wish I could report "third times the charm", but unfortunately another failure.
I carefully followed the Dual Boot (Nontraditional) video and got as far as installing XP and Zorin with the computer asking if I wanted to reboot. As I knew I had to point the computer to the Zorin boot I went to another computer to see my next step. When I returned I was in terminal with a screen full of entries. I rebooted and got back to XP and ran EasyBCD which did NOT automatically produce a backup and asked to download .Net which I let it do. When EasyBCD finally started it could not find ANY boot. I could not get it to recognize anything and none of the options seemed to work except one which said it would not work in XP so I uninstalled it.
It would be nice if ANYTHING got past the initial install.
Is it time to quit?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:30:02 pm

OK, It looks like you may have to look at putting GRUB on the mbr - you can create a backup of your mbr using SystemRescue CD or MultiBoot CD if memory serves me correctly so that you can backup to Floppy/CD before starting once more. I did create a video of dual-booting XP and Zorin 4 (which is now no longer supported - you could try that?:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v283328437Pyp3Byy

There is no Part 2 as it got lost in my transfer from YouTube to Veoh.com! Plus by the time I transferred across Zorin 4 was just about at end of life and you only really need to see part one anyways (from memory!) ;)

In this instance I was 'triple-booting'!

brainshower

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:44:57 pm

Contrary to many posts, I installed XP and let Zorin select the process to install along side it.
Then I updated software using the terminal commands supplied by wolfman, so now I should be up to date.
No printer hooked up (HP XP610), but the system sees it. I just don't understand this operating system.
I follow the printer set up, agree to the terms, and then I'm baffled as to what to do next. There's no "OK" or "Continue" or "driver being installed". I just don't know where to go next.
Trying to negotiate screens I see an "undecorate" option, but if it's selected there's no "redecoarate" or some obvious way to take it back to where it was. Resizing screens presents similar challenges. There is a very sensiitve stretch gesture but I can't find a similar shrink. Preferences list various ways to fill or fit or strech the monitor, but sorry I can't see the differences nor the options to Not fill the screen.
Same issue with wifi which I've not been able to connect thru all these iterations.
I guess it's an interesting experiment, but so far I'm just baffled

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:46:50 am

Let's start with the printer first - can you connect to internet other than wireless? If so download the HP-LIP and HP-Tools using Synaptic Package Manager. Is the printer connected to this machine or on another machine?

brainshower

Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:36:55 am

Totally my error. Have my computer and OLD printer on my mind
How do I uninstall the HP stuff? I downloaded and applied the HP packages
My Epson XP-610 printer is connected to my wireless network and I am connected by ethernet to the router thru which I have access to the Internet.
I go to Printers Add and click XP 610 when it comes up. Then I get a Drivers page, agree to terms and nothing hapens. Again.baffled

brainshower

Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:10:44 pm

I thought I posted : Suceesfully removed HP and installed Epson XP610 after finding the driver in Synaptic

Wifi still not connected:
This is what I see:
ray@HPXPZorin:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN [14e4:4311] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company BCM4311 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [103c:1363]
Kernel driver in use: b43-pci-bridge
05:08.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection [8086:1092] (rev 02)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:30a0]
Kernel driver in use: e100
ray@HPXPZorin:~$

Hopefully madvinegar will again walk me thru this

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:10:17 pm

OK, just to go to the printer which is on a network - the best way to set this up (I know it is bizarre but it is what I have picked up!) is that you open a terminal, and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer

You still get the same interface but more chance of it connecting! (But first you need madvinegar to help resolve your wireless issues. ;) :D

brainshower

Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:15:01 am

NUTS!!!!
Finally HAD a clean install with printer working, just waiting for instructions on wifi.
Installed Shutter so I could take screenshots.
Downloaded PCI drivers using Synaptic.
All looked good till I hit Shutdown. Got screenfull of terminal, then blue screen, and system will not shutdown. This is getting rediculous. Good grief, does anything install without everything going flakey?
Now I have to somehow capture what's on the final screen.

brainshower

Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:35:34 am

I don't know if anyone can make sense out of this iPhone screenshot taken on shutdown, but I would appreciate any advice on how to get rid of it

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:53:29 pm

;) I suspect some driver issues? I've not experienced anything like it myself, but appreciate no consolation to you - will take a look later as at work!

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:54:36 pm

Please take a look at this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2217602&page=5

Please read in its entirety but especially post #45 and onwards! ;) :D

brainshower

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:55:59 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather not guess and mess in unexplored code areas.
I was able to shutdown perfectly before yesterday when I used Synaptic to Install Shutter and PCI drivers. I guess I'll have a look at the "recover" stuff and if that doesn't work it's probably easier to go for install4. Never expected this wide array of problems. Maybe it works when installed in new hardware.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:34:54 pm

I am reminded that Zorin 9 is a 'pae' distribution - that means it was constructed with i5 processors and above (pae = Physical Address Extension) - this could be the issue. I don't face this problem because my box has an AMD Processor in it. Have read somewhere on Ubuntu forums or elsewhere of people having to 'forcepae' - not sure whether this disables or enables the issue!

brainshower

Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:07:16 pm

@HPXPZorin:~$ grep --color=always -i PAE /proc/cpuinfo
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx constant_tsc arch_perfmon bts aperfmperf pni monitor tm2 xtpr pdcm dtherm
ray@HPXPZorin:~$
I have no clue what the above is stating, but apparently if anything is listed my CPU supports PAE.
Anyway, Zorin was working fine prior to the two latest Synaptic additions

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:38:21 pm

OK, some clues there!

When you see the Zorin boot menu, press 'E' on you keyboard to edit the bootloader - this will open a window similar to the terminal with the cursor at the end of the current boot commands - ensure there is a space before you enter these:

Code:
acpi=off noapic nolapic

if you are having any graphical issues, also add at the end of the three given:

Code:
xforcevesa

Here's a more detailed approach and how to make boot parameters stick:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters

brainshower

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:33:03 pm

Excellent!! That One worked.

Now if I can get wifi working I will close this post

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:50:58 pm

Glad we are making some progress friend! ;)

I have PM'd madvinegar - hope he will be able to sort your last issue out. ;)

brainshower

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:31:52 pm

Thanks for your help

madvinegar

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:23:09 am

Hi. Just stepping in to assist with the wireless.

Download from here the b43 firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2tjz9jnj9xw5 ... ar.gz?dl=0
(I have uploaded it onto my dropbox account). (If you have ethernet connection do it on your own PC, otherwise you can download it from another PC that has internet connection, and then copy/paste it to your Zorin PC with the use of a USB stick).

As soon as it is downloaded, copy/paste the b43.tar.gz firmware file you downloaded into your home folder.
Right click on it and select "extract here". A new file will be created named "b43".
Open terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and write the following commands, the one after the other, pressing <enter> after each one:

sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
sudo cp b43/* /lib/firmware/b43
sudo modprobe -r b43
sudo modprobe b43

Your wireless should start working.

brainshower

Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:41:41 pm

I appreciate your help with wireless.
I want to proceed VERY carefully as this is my third attempt at getting Zorin working.
I followed these instructions on an earlier post (sorry I don't know how to find specific post numbers). I copied and pasted the instructions but received a multitude of errors, following which I could no longer shutdown the system using the menu shutdown, and ended up re installing. There was a suggestion that my system assigned computer named may have caused a problem, so that is now changed.

1) How can I backup my current stable installation so I don't have to go thru all the steps again in case there's a problem?
2) If there's a problem, are there steps I can take afterwards to reverse the entries?
Thanks for your help.

madvinegar

Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:59:19 pm

With the above instructions you just create a folder inside /lib/firmware (named b43) and you copy the b43 firmware that you download it inside it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Worst case scenario you just run

sudo rm -R /lib/firmware/b43

and you delete the folder you created.

Maybe the first time you did not follow the instructions carefully or made a mistake in the commands? Or you have not moved the b43.tar.gz into your home folder before issuing the commands...?

brainshower

Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:40:59 pm

I downloaded the file to my downloads folder, then attempted to copy/paste to /home folder.
Where did I go wrong?

madvinegar

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:59:40 pm

Run the below commands. I have included two commands in the beginning which will move the b43.tar.gz file inside your home folder and then they will unzip it.
So, assuming the b43.tar.gz file is still in your Downloads folder, just run the following commands.

sudo mv /home/$USER/Downloads/b43.tar.gz /home/$USER
sudo tar -zxvf b43.tar.gz
sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/b43
sudo cp b43/* /lib/firmware/b43
sudo modprobe -r b43
sudo modprobe b43

brainshower

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:38:09 pm

SUCCESS!!!
I am responding thru wifi connection.
Thank you very much for your help to you and all who gave assistance
I will now be able to try the Zorin experience .
Thiis post can now be closed

madvinegar

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:05:49 pm

Glad I helped. I will mark this topic as solved.
Save the drivers and the terminal commands as you may need them in the future in case you re-install Zorin etc.