This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 9 No WiFi

allstarrmultimedia

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:33:01 pm

I just recently installed Zorin 9 on a Toshiba Tecra, that I got off of Craigslist; mistake.
:roll:

It had recently had Windows 7, but it was having some serious issues. NP, I thought. I'll just use the Win 7 CD...which was corrupt, and I couldn't reinstall.
:o

So, I downloaded Zorin 9 from my "back up XP netbook," put it on a flash, with the Universal USB Installer.

I get it on, and play with Zorin a bit off the flash, before I decide to install it. Full install, and so far, so good. However, the WiFi won't work. I tried a few guides online, including something that brought me to this forum, about an "ad hoc," but that didn't work. So, I'm seeing if someone can help.

Oh, and yes, I checked the WiFi switch is in the "on" position.
:lol:

madvinegar

Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:08:39 pm

Kindly open terminal and post back the results of the following terminal commands.

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all
lsmod

allstarrmultimedia

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:14:39 pm

madvinegar wrote:Kindly open terminal and post back the results of the following terminal commands.

lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all
lsmod

opened the terminal, and typed it in, like you had, and nothing. I then tried to type it all on one line, with no results. The cursor just waits at the next line, not blinking.

madvinegar

Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:29:45 am

These are 5 separate commands. You should issue them, one by one, pressing <enter> after each one.
In some commands you will be asked to insert your password. You will write it normally even if you will not see it be typed, and then hit <enter>.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:55:02 pm

Hi if it makes it easier:

Code:

Code:
lsusb

Code:
sudo lshw -c network

Code:
sudo rfkill list all

Code:
lsmod

Open a terminal and move it to one side.

Move your browser to the opposite side on this post.

Next use the 'Select All' function above each line above - this will copy to your clipboard - then go to the terminal and right-click inside the terminal window and select 'Paste'. ONE AT A TIME! ;) :D

allstarrmultimedia

Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:26:22 pm

Swarfendor437: "Open a terminal and move it to one side.

Move your browser to the opposite side on this post."

That won't work, easily, because I can't get onto the web. What I could do, though a bit more work, is to copy it all on the pc that is on the web, copy it into a text file, save to flash, bring it to the one that won't connect to the web, and then right click into terminal, and paste.

To madvinegar, yes, that's what I did. I typed in each command line, and hit enter. After each line, and hitting enter, nothing happened for any of them.

The other day, I went to the YMCA, and was able to connect, with no problems. There was a list of WiFi connections, and got to it, easily. So, I know that it can connect.

However, at my work place, the WiFi doesn't show up. So, I created a "hidden network," and it will say I connected to the network, but Fire Fox can't find the server. On the bottom right of the screen on my laptop, just to the left of the battery icon, it shows that while the connection is no longer "greyed out," it still isn't connected. I have the right WPA info and password, so I'm hoping this extra info can help others figure the problem.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:27:35 am

Well the information about workplace was crucial! So you can access WiFi, just not at work. Friend I have Windows 7 notebooks at work that don't allow wireless access because they allocate a set number of seats to identifiable computers by their naming policy. If the only issue is at work you need to progress the issue with your IT Department! :roll: