This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Unable to change keyboard layout from US

paulhward

Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:01:26 pm

Just installed Zorin 11 premium and for some reason (even though I selected ENGLISH BRITISH) on the install, it defaults to ENGLISH US.
I've tried changing it the usual way from preferences and keyboard rebooting it - but to no avail. Keeps defaulting to US.
Could anyone point me in the direction of maybe a file ot manually edit ?

many thanks
Paul

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:34:30 pm

Hi, Glad I am not the only one who has experienced this but that is down to pressure at work, i.e., I have installed 11 at work on a machine not on the domain out of necessity of editing videos using KDEnlive - but will deal with this latter bit in Feedback of Zorin 11.

Back to your issue.

1. Go to Menu | System Tools | System Settings and select 'Language Support' under 'Personal' section at the top - you may be asked to install missing locales in order to rectify this - agree to it - you may also want to change your update settings from a GB server to 'Main Server' - to do this: Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updates - click on the 'Settings' button of the interface and then on the window that opens, select the left most tab and change software source to 'Main Server' to ensure you get all necessary packages.

As a starting point, check out Wolfman's excellent Post install Guide - I appreciate it was written with earlier iterations of Zorin but should still apply. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:24:40 pm

Just had another look at this - will post screenshots later. Go to Menu | System Tools | System Settings - then select 'Keyboard'. Next click on the 'Text Entry' button bottom left - now add your locale by clicking on the plus sign bottom left - add your locale and remove the default 'English US' one - job sorted! You should still follow the post install guide instructions too though. ;) :D

[UPDATED 17:19 GMT (British Winter Time = + 1 hour]

Screenshot from 2016-02-29 13-13-23.jpg

Screenshot from 2016-02-29 13-15-26.jpg

svx-biker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:32:34 am

It seems that after installation you'll always have the US keyboard whatever you choose in the installation menu.

I selected german with the swiss german keyboard but after first start I had to change the keyboard layout as described above.

Is this a known bug?

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:53:08 am

Hi, I don't think it is a bug. I know that Ultimate Edition used to come with every possible variation but I think this will create a much bigger .iso if you include all the languages, bearing in mind that people such as myself are extremely lucky to have unmetered access to the internet! ;) :D

svx-biker

Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:17:49 pm

Actually I seem to have the languages but the keyboard stays in US English.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:03:23 pm

Hi the screenshots in my earlier post should provide the answer in respect of Zorin 11 which allows you to install the locale you need - it is what I had to do to get UK keyboard setup (English GB). :D

svx-biker

Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:36:25 pm

Actually I installed the ultimate edition. However, you'll still have to change the keyboard after installation whatever keyboard you already have chosen with the installation.

svx-biker

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:21:52 pm

I just found that if I add another user I still have to change (again) the keyboard. This is true even when I select system-wide default for my language and country.

The keyboard is always English(US) after installation and after creation of a new user.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:57:19 pm

Hi, can confirm this is the case. I don't know if it will solve the problem of adding users but useful information here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/362973/k ... e-i-reboot