This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

gui

wiliamvw

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:36:49 pm

After installing via 'forcepae' [using 32-bit] and coming to end of install after it kicked-out the dvd, at end of page wouldn't turn off and had to cut power [last entry on page was about completing 3 of 6 something and some process still running for 1 to 5 minutes, but never turned off].
Upon reboot it came up fine [full operating screen with panel, etc.] but then cut out and then came back and then went out and came back, and finally cut out to totally black screen, where it stayed.
Reboot got to scrambled screen; other reboot got fully back up for seconds before cut out and back and then fully out again to black screen.
Some other reboots got not even that far.
Tried vga=771 on line after boot prompt [from install disc], but got that 'boot failed'.
Anyone with some idea how to fix, or do I have to try a full new install?

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:28:35 pm

Hi, the problem with 'force-pae' is that it does warn you that you could end up with unexpected results - which is what you have reported - it would be nice if they could produce a non-pae image of Zorin 9! I think you may have to settle for Zorin LIte at this stage or look at other distributions out there that meet your requirements:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

;) :D

wiliamvw

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:30:14 pm

As update, was able to increase RAM and run it cooler [had been extremely hot during previous try to use], and result is that no longer have in and out screen or scrambled; but while now have full stable screen with all panels, icons, etc. it is unfortunately totally frozen [even no response light to cap lock]. Have tried C-Alt-backspace, but has no effect.
Hope this gives more options for remedy.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:43:10 pm

Afraid not - do you not remember the warning message? "When setting force PAE unexpected issues may result" - you just experienced it! I would try Zorin Lite and see how that goes? Your machine clearly does not have an Intel iX processor (where X = 3, 5 or 7) If it was a modern AMD Processor this would not be an issue. ;) :D