This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

What will I be missing if I take the free version?

bennylava

Mon May 16, 2016 2:10:44 am

Hi all. For now I'm just going to install the free "Core" version of Zorin. But while I was looking at the download page, I was reading the little description under the "Ultimate" version. So what is the main difference between free, and Ultimate? Will the free version not have Wine already installed? Perhaps it won't have any of the extra themes? What exactly, am I missing out on?

Swarfendor437

Mon May 16, 2016 8:30:33 pm

Which version of Zorin?

bennylava

Tue May 17, 2016 1:34:27 am

Sorry it would be the 9, not the 11. There are only two versions right? On the download page its the top left. 64 bit.

Also, I am having a bit of trouble actually getting Zorin core 9 64bit installed. I'm trying to install it on a computer with multiple hard drives, one of them being a Windows 7 HDD that is my main hard drive. But I have a spare blank HDD, that I'd like to install Zorin on. So I burned Zorin to a DVD using ImgBurn. But when I went to install it, all I got was the light blue screen with the little keyboard and a man inside a circle at the bottom. Followed by a black screen, with the flashing cursor at the left had corner of the screen. My DVD drive was making all kinds of noise like it was doing something, but it eventually quit. It sat there like this for about 5 minutes, with the black screen and the flashing cursor.

Eventually I gave up and went to reboot into Windows to ask what went wrong on the forums, only to find that my machine will no longer automatically just boot into windows. I have to hit F12 on the motherboard splash screen, and select the windows drive from the boot menu. Only then will my computer boot into windows. Anyone have any idea what is going on? I have a gigabyte brand Z77 motherboard if that helps. I went into the bios, and looked around for anything that might give me an idea of what went wrong. I didn't find anywhere to turn off UEFI and enable legacy support. I also noticed that my boot menu has dropped my hard drives off of the available options. I can no longer set my main Windows 7 hard drive, to be the first in the boot order. It simply isn't there. That might explain why it won't just boot into windows automatically anymore.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 17, 2016 9:50:29 pm

What other OS's are you running apart from Windows 7? My advice to you would have been to test the Zorin DVD in live mode first. When you see the keyboard and little man you need to press the space bar which should then bring you to Language to use for the OS - automatically set to 'English' - Press Escape key, then F3 to choose input language for keyboard - default is English US - if that is where you live, fine, if UK, use up arrow to select 'English UK' (or UK English - long time since install!).

I would disconnect all your other drives and install Zorin on the blank drive but do it manually - the 'something else' choice at boot menu:

1. Create '/' (root) partition, format to 'ext4' file system of 30 Gb (30720 Mib)

2. Create 'extended partition' and at the END of the drive create 'swap area' that matches the size of your memory.

3. The remaining space left, mark as '/home' and format to 'ext4'

Then install - I always do this from the live desktop and click on the icon 'install to hard drive' to meet the least number of issues.

Now as to Windows 7 issue, once you are in it, create a 'rescue disk' - boot off of that and go to the command prompt and enter:

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixBoot

followed by

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixMbr

;) :D

bennylava

Wed May 18, 2016 4:22:21 am

Thank you for the help. Got Zorin all installed now. Apparently there was an issue with my video driver. Had to do some asking around and found out how to boot despite the video driver not being compatible. That's definitely something the Zorin folks need to address. I'm running an Nvidia GTX 970.

So now, I need to download the Linux drivers for that card. Also, a driver for my wifi adapter, since right now Zorin can't connect to the internet because it has no driver for my wifi adapter. I'm a little intimidated on installing these, since I'm only familiar with window's executables.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 18, 2016 11:44:57 am

Hi, Can you please start a thread with regards your hardware issues - now you have Zorin installed, please post your outstanding issues in the Help and Support section of the forum. ;) :D

bennylava

Wed May 18, 2016 8:15:14 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Can you please start a thread with regards your hardware issues - now you have Zorin installed, please post your outstanding issues in the Help and Support section of the forum. ;) :D

Ok I did it