This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Windows 10 OS not Recognized for Partitioning

thatscotsgit

Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:53:11 pm

Hi Folks,

Trying to install Zorin 10 Ultimate initially on a partitioned drive until I can get all of my programs working under the new Zorin OS. After some issues getting the install disc to work, I got there finally. However, now when I try to install it does not "see" the Windows 10 install and wants to erase the entire HDD. When I ask to "Do Something Else" it directs me to a partition table, but I do not know how to set those paramenters and I can't see anything for "Help". I am using a Dell Inspiron 15 3543-7000LV i5-5200, 4GB RAM, 1 TB HDD (300 GB used in Windows). Can someone direct me how to allocate those partitions to conserve the Windows install until I can get Zorin up, stable and operational with all of the programs that I need to run?

I did pay for the "Premium" Support Package, but don't see where to enter the support code on this forum.

Thank You!

Paul

James tobin

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:09:18 pm

Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure how I would go about setting up the dual boot there, One thing I do know is that zorin 10 is out of support, but in the forums that's ok :)

Any posibility you can take a screenshot of the partition layout on zorin live disk? (make sure to select 'try without installing' NOT 'install')? Maybe even launch gparted and give us a screenshot of hard disk partition layout there too (make sure not to select the live disk, you can know which is which by the size of drives :) )

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:32:07 pm

Hi if you purchased Ultimate your support will be via the official web link of Zorin:

http://zorinos.com/installationsupport.html

I suspect you will (as with any other distribution) get only support on how to install Zorin - NOT dual-boot - in the meantime please read through this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11815

thatscotsgit

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:44:08 pm

Hi James,

Thank you for your input. Tried attaching the screenshot to this (and earlier) posts, but it comes back as "invalid filename". This text box won't accept a "paste" either. I did find the "Ultimate" support and posted there with a written version of the "install"/"G-Parted". I can't sem to get back to that message now from the Premium Support page either. Let me re-write it again here...

/dev/sda
free space Size 1MB
/dev/sda1 fat32 Size 524MB Used 33MB
/dev/sda2 Size 134MB Used unknown
/dev/sda3 ntfs Size 984401MB Used unknown
/dev/sda4 ntfs Size 894MB Used 370MB
/dev/sda5 ntfs Size 14249MB Used 13788MB
free space Used 0MB
/dev/sdb

Deice for boot loader installation:
/dev/sda ATA ST1000LM024 HN-M (1.0TB)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Paul.

James tobin

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:04:49 pm

So I'm guessing you want to split /dev/sda3 and create an ext3 for installation. Also be sure to make a swap partition that is the same size or slightly larger than your RAM

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:50:56 pm

OK, does your BIOS have dual boot mode (UEFI/Legacy)? I would try the EasyBCD route if you are stuck with UEFI/EFI boot option.

1. Turn off 'Fast Boot' in BIOS
2. Turn off 'Advanced Power Options' in 10 that when switching off just puts the hard drive to sleep.
3. It would be better if you used 'Disk Management' in Windows to establish how many partitions under Windows are marked as 'Primary'
4. Backup all your data BEFORE proceeding any futher!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
5. Watch Matthew Moore's Video on how he dual booted Windows 8 with Linux Mint - the non-conventional method:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11815&p=52845&hilit=Matthew+Moore#p52845

6. Boot into Windows - establish which is your 'C:/' drive and use Disk Management to shrink it: https://vimeo.com/110085401

7. Then booting from Zorin, on the space that is left to the 'right' of 'C;/' create an 'Extended Partition' then:
a. Create a 512 mb '/boot' partition and format to 'ext4'
b. Create a 30720 Mib (30 Gb) partition, format to 'ext4' and mark as '/'
c. Create a 'swap area' of 4096 Mib (4 Gb) at the END of the partition you created '/' in.
d. What is left between '/' and 'swap area', format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home'
Put GRUB in the '/boot' partition.

Use 'something else' method to install to '/'

Go back to booting Windows, Install EasyBCD from Neosmart (you can get it from Softpedia: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS- ... yBCD.shtml

When you run it for the first time it will automatically back up Windows mbr (master boot record)

Add an entry to EasyBCD boot Menu - click on the Penguin Tab - as for choosing GRUB - make sure you select GRUB2!
You can let EasyBCD automatically find '/' or you can select it yourself - it is up to you.
Once you have completed the EasyBCD setup, reboot your computer and see if it works. :D

You follow the above AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!