This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Zorin-9 Lite

ian4238

Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:26:34 am

On my notebook (Acer Aspire 1410 11.5" Dual core. 2GB RAM. 160GB HDD.) I have WIN 7 Professional (unused) plus Zorin-6 Lite (?) plus Zorin-9 Lite. I have used the old version for backup of my desktop PC, but wish to take the notebook on a trip to China and Russia and to eliminate all my files from it. To uninstall Zorin the instructions given are to delete ext 4 and Linux swaps.
Can I safely delete the old Zorin version (/dev/sda5) which is part of Extended Partition (all Linux) /dev/sda3, and just leave /dev/sda7 which is Zorin-9 Lite, and the Linux swap partition? Both Zorins are labeled Ext 4. I want to just carry the laptop with a minimum of information on it, to keep in touch.
I tried to use the Zorin-9 Lite installer (on USB Drive) but it only offered to install another version alongside the present ones!, or to format the whole drive and install the new version, so I would lose the WIN 7 (OEM with no disk).

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:36:05 pm

Hi, First I would backup all your Win7 data before continuing - if you know the order of your Zorin installs, boot into Windows 7 (can you do that?) and install EasyBCD from Softpedia: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS- ... yBCD.shtml - this preserves your mbr of windows - or did you overwrite it with GRUB? Backup all data from both of Zorin LIte before proceeding! Your Windows 7 install should have the ability to create a repair disc so that you get your mbr back to boot into Windows but it will prevent you accessing your Zorin Lite once you do this. You can create a bootable usb for the repair (I think), at least create the iso to boot from - once you boot into repair mode, go to the advanced settings, launch command prompt and enter:
Code:
bootrec.exe /FixBoot

Code:
bootrec.exe /FixMbr

This will restore your mbr so that Windows boots each time.

If you want a bootable USB for GNU/Linux you need to install MultiSystem onto ZorinLite and create bootable USB but you will need, to be safe 8 GB thumb drive, format it to FAT32 then proceed to install - the file is on the forum here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

Tutorial Video Here:
https://vimeo.com/104187694

I haven't tried to install ZorinLite to MultiSystem so not sure if it will work but Core and Ultimate do - if you need an alternative you could try Comodo Internet Security emergency repair disk that runs Slitaz, very lite GNU/Linux with internet connectivity (56Mb iso):

https://www.comodo.com/business-securit ... e-disk.php

ian4238

Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:48:30 am

Many thanks for the various suggestions. I spent a few hours today trying to get the best result, but got more and more confused and tired. In the end I decided that, as I has never used the WIN 7 PRO (OEM) on my notebook, I didn't really need it. So I have formatted the HDD and reinstalled Zorin-9 LIte, and am now installing the programs I want (Zorin Lite comes with some pretty odd software, but is very quick and stable system). If I ever need WIN-7 I have it dual-booted with Zorin Ultimate on my desktop PC. Thanks again.