This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Is Zorin 9 .iso for a live DVD?

Ray H

Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:35:56 am

I have a dual boot Win10/Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, 64 bit.

After the success I had with Zorin on my old 32 bit machine I wanted to try it on the 64 bit, downloaded 'zorin-os-9.1-core-64.iso' burned it to disk but the DVD does not show up in the Boot Menu. I have the UEFI bios set to boot from DVD and it works fine with Live DVDs for 4 different Mint distros, Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Gparted boot disk but Zorin, and 2 other distros, Linux Lite & Q4OS, don't show in the Boot Menu.

I have downloaded the zorin iso twice, checked the MD5 then burned it on three different disks using two different burning programs and none of them will boot.

Any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:52:02 am

OK, Forgive the rudimentary checks:

1. You downloaded the iso WITHOUT the use of a download accelerator.
2. You used Firefox or Opera.
3. You checked the md5sum before burning the iso - did you burn in Windows or GNU/Linux? If you burn in Windows I only recommend 'imgburn' from https://ninite.com. If using Brasero in GNU/Linux, then Launch Brasero first rather than right-clicking the image and 'Burn with Brasero' - I have had made coasters using Brasero this way - k3b is still superior in this regard.
4. If you downloaded to Windows you checked the md5 sum using ;winmd5free'? http://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP
5. If you downloaded to GNU/Linux, check the md5sum in a terminal and navigating to 'Downloads' with:

Code:
cd Downloads

then

Code:
md5sum zorin-os-9.1-core-64.iso

and wait about 20-30 seconds for results which should be: 6adcdc13164661f0365f1b6f7b26570c

Burn at the slowest possible speed of your burner - my slowest is 4x

The only other thing to add is that I once booted a USB on a modern computer with EFIBIOS and it would not boot unless 'Legacy Mode' was selected.

Also remember that you can only ever have 4 Primary Partitions on any system regardless of the number of Drives you have and Windows 10 usually has 3 already - system files, C:\drive, and recovery.

Hope this helps! ;) :D

Ray H

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:38:21 pm

Hi Swarfendor437

Thanks for trying, still no success. :(

I wasn't sure which browser, how I started burner and didn't check md5 through terminal so I did everything all over again, including downloading .iso, and followed your instructions step-by-step, even installed k3b. Still no boot option for DVD.

Next step, sacrifice one of my storage USBs and try the live version on that.

Thanks again for the help, really appreciated the detailed instructions. :)

ETA: I did everything in GNU/Linux, only use Windows if I have to and plan to format over top of it eventually. ;)

Ray H

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:48:27 pm

With the help of a member on the Q4OS forum my problem has been solved!

CSM Support (Compatibility Support Module) was disabled, I enabled it and can now boot all the Live DVDs I had problems with.

Thank you for the efforts I received here. :)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:55:14 pm

Great! Just for clarity, is that CSM setting something to do with EFI or something completely different? Would love to know more please for benefit of other forum members. Thanks. ;) :D

Ray H

Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:57:38 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Great! Just for clarity, is that CSM setting something to do with EFI or something completely different? Would love to know more please for benefit of other forum members. Thanks. ;) :D

I got this description from Debian Wiki https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI#ARM64_plat ... oot.2C_etc

PC platform: BIOS, UEFI, CSM etc.

On the PC architectures (amd64 and i386), UEFI-based firmware is a relatively new replacement for the ancient BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) that has existed ever since the PC was first developed in the 1980s. The old BIOS systems have strict limitations due to their ancient design, running in 16-bit mode with access to only 1MB of memory, and limited access to other resources like disks. UEFI firmware is normally fully native and so should be able to access all the system memory and all the devices.

For the sake of backwards compatibility, most current PCs using UEFI also include a Compatibility Support Module (CSM), extra support code that will continue to boot in the old BIOS style. Over time, this support will most likely be phased out. Some systems were already being sold UEFI-only (i.e. with no CSM) in 2014.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:37:33 am

Hi thanks for the information! ;) :D