This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

What Version Of Zorin Should I upgrade to?

mdiemer

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:46:55 pm

Hi, I haven't been around for awhile. My printer stopped working with Zorin 9, and then Zorin would not update anymore, so I decided to wait until the next release, and then upgrade. I recall hearing that a new version, possibly 12, would be arriving this summer. Or is 11 the latest? I've been using Ubuntu in the meantime, but would love to get back to Zorin.

Thanks,

Michael

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:39:44 am

Zorin 11 is pretty cool - I am going to try and keep using it even though support ends at end June - It picked up my 3-in-one printer whilst in adding printer I plugged the usb cable into the back of the computer and it picked up the correct driver instantly just like that other OS.
Zorin 12 should be the next LTS release but no sign of any Betas yet. :D

mdiemer

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:20:57 pm

It is very tempting. I almost downloaded it yesterday, but then balked when I saw the support expiration date. Is it still safe to use past then? I am very careful where I go, don't download or open attachments carelessly, etc.

mdiemer

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:41:03 pm

I just watched a video by R. Ferguson, interviewing Artyom Zorin. It was from 5 months ago. He did not give any definite info about the release of 12, but I inferred that it could be coming at the end of the summer. so I'm going to wait until then. Although it won't be easy. Seeing the shots of 11 really got me juiced again for Zorin OS. I think it's addictive. Ub has been solid and reliable, but I'm starting to get tired of it.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:00:18 pm

Well you could give 'LinDoz' a try in the meantime provided you have no accessibility issues! You can theme your icons and windows and panel to Windows classic, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10! ;) :D

mdiemer

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:47:09 pm

You mean Mukluk? I tried to install it a while ago, but wasn't able to accomplish it. Doesn't install as easily as Z, U or M. Anyway, it shouldn't be long until the whiz kids from - actually, I don't know where they're from - to spring 12 on us. (I imagine it's some eastern European country. I was surprised though to see that Artyom looked like some kid from L.A. I expected him to be middle aged, Greek-looking perhaps, with a long beard and intense, penetrating eyes).

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13:53 pm

Hi, the Brothers Zorin started with Zorin 1 before they were teenagers - they are of Ukrainian descent - their ancestors emigrated to Eire. They reside in the fair city of Dublin. ;) :D

Well Artyom wasn't a teenager at the time:

http://www.ikream.com/2012/10/dublin-st ... mmit-10160

http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2012/04/a ... ay-to.html