This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 11 OS stopped working

Atlas_Salta

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:53:45 am

Recently I have had issues with Windows 10 on two old laptops that I possess at home so decided that I wanted to install alternative operating systems. I came across Zorin 11 two days ago and liked the look of it so tried it out. I ran it as dual boot originally and the only problem I came across was that it didn't recognises my Wifi adaptor. I found a topic on the forum from another user who had a similar problem, he was given some advice which I followed, along with installing the operating system on to my hard drive. However, I have switched on my laptop on this morning and have various problems. All I am getting is the desktop screen with 'Home' & 'Trash' icons but no taskbar at the bottom of the screen. The other problem is that there is no mouse cursor on the screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Rgds

paul

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:53:27 am

Before we can assist please take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Atlas_Salta

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:14:07 pm

Hi there,

laptop details as follows:

HP Compaq 6715S GR656ET#ABU
Memory: 1.8GiB
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-60 x2
Graphics: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS690
OS type 64 bit using Zorin OS 11 only
Disk: 155.4GB

How do I find out about my drive partitioning, audio chips/soundcard, pci card/wireless chipset?

I rebooted my laptop again and my mouse is now working and I can access the menus. However, it keeps asking me for a password to authenticate 262 software updates. However, my lock screen password doesn't work so is there a generic administrator password that i require?
Also how do I set up my wifi connection as no drivers are found under 'additional drivers' although when I ran Zorin live it appeared to find the driver for Broadcom but wouldn't let me select it.

As always any advice or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

paul

Atlas_Salta

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:00:24 pm

Now my laptop has frozen on the 'Details' screen whilst trying to install updates

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:12:59 pm

Hi, the best thing is not to have 'autologin' enabled - when you run as 'root' (administrator) you need to use your login password - if you created one.

To find out the information of your machine, open a terminal (Menu | System Tools | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
lspci

and paste back the results. ;) :D

Atlas_Salta

Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:34:15 am

Hi there,

I have just checked user accounts and automatic login is not enabled.

entered lspci in terminal - see attachment

I can see broadcom ethernet but not broadcom wireless!

:roll: :roll:

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:22:15 pm

OK, when you open a terminal, enter this:

Code:
ifconfig -a

This should list all your network devices.

If still nothing, choose the second menu option in GRUB at boot time and choose the recovery/advanced mode and run 'DPKG' from the menu that appears - you may need to provide your login password to elevate yourself to 'root' (= Administrator). After it has completed, do NOT select 'Continue' - instead, shut down and re-boot. ;) :D

Atlas_Salta

Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:52:57 pm

Hi there,

After a bit of tweaking and finding help from other sources I have eventually managed to get Wifi up and running. I now have one of my old laptops using an alternative operating system and I love it. I have even installed printer drivers on it, so next thing I need to learn about is how to print to these printers when they are connected to a Windows 10 which is part of a homegroup.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Rgds
Paul

:P

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:12:23 pm

Hi, Very pleased you got things sorted - please feel free to post about your workgroup issues! :D Have marked this thread as [SOLVED] :D