This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Newbie USB Bootable

Jshortie

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:26:54 pm

Hi, I couldn't be happier to have found this forum as I do need to understand how to accomplish my installation steps. First, let me explain my circumstances..... I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop with the following specs:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Partitions = Win XP and Ubuntu Zorin OS 6 (using Phoenix TrustedCore(tm) Setup Utility boot menu)
CPU - Genuineintel, CPUs 2, Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz,
Frequency 1200.000MHz, L2 cache 1024Mb
Memory – 1974MiB =2070Mb, Free 74%, Swap 2994MiB
Storage – SCSI device scsi0W
SCSI device scsi1
VGA and Multimedia audio controller
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I purchased this and another laptop for my wife both with Linux os 6 distro because there was intermittent problems with Windows blue screens on our former laptops. I need Win XP on the one partition for my Zune music syncs with Itunes, so I have that on one partition and Linux 6 on the other.

For three years with Linux os 6 we did not experience any disabling computer downtime issues. Our problem was the store from which we purchased these computers had total control over our Linux distros. If we needed to have software loaded, upgrades made, a new printer added, and anything else, we had to pay a fee to have them do it. One day I made a trip to the computer store to find the store no longer supported Linux as the owner died and the Linux expert was gone. Fortunately, I was able to track down the Linux guy to have him give me the Authentication (password) determined to take control of my computers!

So now I am trying to find a similar Linux os that has that windows look with similar software that will open my older Windows documents just as my current Linux had done with sftw like Libra Office and other apps. My incentive to take control was when my HP Printer died and I needed a new Multi-function printer to replace it. I bought a Brother MFC-J485DW wireless printer and set out to install it. I followed the Brother website instructions to download and install the driver(s) to the letter and all seemed to go well. I issued the commands with authentication just as described by Brother. The printer showed in the System Settings/Printer dialog, but printing did not work. The Linux expert told me my efforts to load the new Brother MFC-J485DW printer drivers corrupted the Linux system and it needed to have files b/u & Linux deleted/rebuilt which would take time. He was able to load the new Brother MFC-J485DW printer on my wifes' laptop first, but while it printed wireless over my home network, it would not allow wireless scan without carrying and tethering the laptop to the printer by hardwire. Cheesy.....Right? I was not happy as he stated that getting wireless scan "is not reliable and does not work most times on Linux". So, I paid him for 1/4 of the work he set out to do and that I would not need him moving forward.

My plan is to find the ideal Linux replacement that will work for my software files and print/scan wireless for the Brother.

What I need help with:

I downloaded a Bootable USB Zorin OS 10 Core 32 bit RC to my 32Gb flash drive & ran the boot sequence making my USB the first in sequence and it loaded successfully. Once into the Zorin 10, I found:

My home network wifi or my Comcast wifi connects were not there, is this because of test mode, or can I add a connection and save it before I do an install to first see how it all works?
If necessary, how do I add a wireless network connection (steps) should Zorin 10 not somehow auto-search for wireless connections?
How do I keep my Win XP on it's current partition and install the new Zorin 10 USB in place of the Zorin 6 partition? Is there a need to somehow delete the Zorin 6 partition (how?) and then re-define the partition for the USB Zorin 10 prior to install (how?)
Why do I continue to read about loading an install on a Windows computer Is that what I have?
How to install the Zorin 10 from the USB as I don't remember ever seeing a choice to do so? Did I miss it or do I get to that step in some other way?
Are all Ubuntu Software Centers have the same content in the various Ubuntu (Zorin) distros?
Is there other softwares that can be appended to the new Zorin 10 distro I am testing?
My wifes computer uses Phoenix TrustedCore(tm) Setup Utility which lists for BOOT the following choices for USB boot priority (how do I proceed to load USB Zorin 10 Download for testing) i.e. which USB choice will trigger the flash drive.....

1: IDE CD: Optiarc DVD RW AD-7563A-(P
2: SATA HDD: WDC WD2500BEVS-22UST0-(S1)
3: USB CDROM
4: USB KEY
5: USB HDD
6: USB FDC
7: Boot to LAN: Realtek Boot Agent

I apologize for the copious length of this post, but I am new to Zorin, but I want to state that I have spent a lot of hours searching for answers to all that I have done todate.

Thanks, Jim

Jshortie

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:40:08 am

Never mind about the question on how to install Zorin 10. I found the link to do the install on the desktop.

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:18:17 pm

Hi, you asked about how to upgrade - this may not keep your settings if you overwrite 6 with 10 - Wolfman wrote something on how to do an 'upgrade' in his Post Installation Guide if memory serves me correctly:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9785

Look for the section on 'Upgrading your installed system'.

You should be made aware that Zorin 10 RC is a 'release candidate' which means it is not the final release of 10. As 10 was based on a development release cycle of Ubuntu, it is no longer supported or updateable for security patches.
You may want to wait for the next LTS release due out shortly, Zorin 12 which will be supported until April 2021. ;) :D

Jshortie

Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:52:22 am

Swarfendor437 thanks so much. This is all a lot to take in, so I will spend time digesting what I need to do and what the Wolfman article states. What release version do you think does a good job of emulating XP that is available right now and into the distant future. Like I said in my opening post, "I am a newbie to Zorin" other than just using the platform for the last 3 years.........Jshortie

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:54:25 am

OK, if you want to emulate XP as close as possible in respect of 'looks' then you might have to go with Zorin 9 and then install GnoMenu and remove (NOT uninstall) ZorinMenu to get a similar look such as this:

https://vimeo.com/85050945

Please note that in the video I was using Cairo Dock DE which gives the 'Mac' look that is not present in Zorin Core release - the Mac look only comes in 'Ultimate' Releases (paid for versions) of Zorin.

Please remember you can get a 'look' of 'XP' but not the same system. If you have an XP installation Disc you could run it inside of Zorin using Virtual Box from Oracle. ;) :D

Another Alternative would be to install Cinammon:

http://charlieexe.deviantart.com/art/Wi ... -495943001