This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Things changed after upgrade

Silverlokk

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:28:17 am

Hello all, not sure my question belongs here since I've successfully installed Zorin and in fact updated maybe two or three months ago. The admin will probably move my message to the appropriate section, and my apologies in advance for the inconvenience.

I'd been using Zorin (still do) for some time when I got a pop-up telling me that an update, might've been to the kernel but I can't remember now. Took a screenshot -- or I think I did, can't find it. No, it wasn't an alert from the Software Center (is that where alerts about new software come from?), but from what I recall, something from the Applets bar (?). Anyway...

Prior to the upgrade, I could use the right edge of my TrackPad like a mouse scroll button. I've lost that ability, along with tap-to-click -- i.e., I used to be able to tap on the TrackPad and it would treat it as a mouse click. I may be able to solve this by futzing around with the X config file but just pointing out that I shouldn't have to, not having had to when I first installed Zorin.

<EDIT> My mistake, the right edge of the TrackPad still emulates a mouse scroll button. Might've been confused because I just booted from Remix OS :)

<EDIT> OK, seems tap-to-click is an option in the Mouse and Touchpad settings, off by default. Dunno how I feel about that.

Also, in regard to sound: upon startup, the sound device is my HDMI monitor. When I come from Sleep, it reverts to the built-in speakers which while decent for a laptop are nowhere near the monitor's.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:57:57 pm

Hi, Have you checked your Software Updater isn't accepting latest releases of Ubuntu? It should be set to never!
As for trackpad, see if there are any touchpad packages installed via synaptic and if needs be, mark for re-installation then Apply.

With regards to sound, open Menu | System Tools | System Settings and open 'Sound' to see what is hppening - also refer to Wolfman's excellent post install guide and in particular, items about 'sound':

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785

Silverlokk

Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:33:40 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Have you checked your Software Updater isn't accepting latest releases of Ubuntu? It should be set to never!

Is that the option in the Software Center for Software & Updates -> Updates, then the pick list at the bottom is labelled "Notify me of a new Ubuntu version:"? It's currently "For long-term support versions". Is that the one I should set to "Never"?

As for trackpad, see if there are any touchpad packages installed via synaptic and if needs be, mark for re-installation then Apply.

With regards to sound, open Menu | System Tools | System Settings and open 'Sound' to see what is hppening - also refer to Wolfman's excellent post install guide and in particular, items about 'sound':

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785

I'm not sure what to look for in regard to "what's happening". Like I said, my sound output is set to HDMI, but when I get back from Sleep or Lock, it gets set to my laptop's internal speakers. I doubt if Pulse Audio Manager will help, will find out when I Sleep then wake up again.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:56:47 pm

Yes in relation to number 1 - should be set to never.

With regards audio, have you read through Wolfman's excellent post install guide, in particular the section on Sound:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9785