This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Black screen after install

drewdane

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:54:08 pm

I bought a few of these Companion Touch 10s in a surplus auction from a local school district. Specs are as follows:
Processor: Intel® Atom™ CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz × 2
Memory: 983.7 MiB
Graphics: Intel® IGD
OS type: 64-bit
Disk: 515.7 MB

Per the installation guide, I burned the ISO on a USB drive using Unetbootin. It boots from the USB drive with no problems. I'm using Zorin 9 core 64-bit from a thumb drive to type this on one of these machines right now.

When I tried to install the OS it seemed to install fine. It restarted, then after the post screen it went black with a flashing cursor in the upper-left corner. I repeated the installation and got the same result. I have used up all of my computer knowledge getting to this point. :lol:

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:11:29 am

Hi, I think you are going to be struggling to get 64-bit running on thos types of kit. I would have gone for Zorin LIte. ;) :D

drewdane

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:51:52 am

It's a 64-bit processor, so I didn't think twice about it. And again, it runs like a dream off of the thumb drive. It just won't boot from the HDD. If it would work at 32-bits I might give that a shot, but at the moment I'm downloading Lubuntu to see if that works.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:45:40 am

It could be a graphics issue - try editing the boot command by pressing 'E' at boot time and enter:

Code:
acpi=off nomodeset xforcevesa

then press return.