This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation Tip For Newcomers

star treker

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:49:06 am

Once you've downloaded the Zorin archive file from the website, you will need to extract the archive using the password that Zorin gave you in your email box. Once you've extracted the main archive, you are then left with the ISO file, which is basically another archive within itself. In my opinion, the easiest way to do this, is to use an app like Rufus to unpack the ISO file and place it on a USB drive, which can be used later to boot the computer from the USB drive so that you can either, A. boot Zorin into live mode, or B. Install Zorin from the USB drive.

However, if using a USB drive is absolutely not an option for you, you can then of course have ISO burning software, to burn the ISO onto a DVD. Because I have a unique situation going on, I wanted to make a live boot DVD so that I could boot my notebook into live via the DVD, and then use live mode to download the new OS 12, and use Unetbootin to place onto my USB drive. Since I only had one extra USB 3.0 slot, it made sense to do it this way.

However, I ran into an issue when the ISO burning software I was using, wasn't able to burn the ISO to the disk. I tried to do this with 2 other computers to no avail. I am guessing it was due to the software being buggy but I don't really know. I wanted to give people a tip on how to unpack the ISO file manually, and then manually burn the files to disk. First of all, get a blank media disk and place the DVD in your drive on a windows computer. When the dialog pops up asking you what you want to do, click burn files to disk, then give the disk a label, use as USB drive as your option, and then click ok to let the computer format the disk.

I have Winrar installed on my windows computer, and the nice thing about it, is that it can see inside ISO files. So once I took my extracted ISO file, and then I opened it up in winrar, I was able to clearly see the files. I then created a new folder on my desktop and I told winrar to unpack the ISO files into the new folder, its the same process as extracting so easy peasy. Then I went inside the new folder I created and extracted the files from the ISO file, and then I clicked the button that says burn. Thats it, thats all I did to create a bootable Zorin live DVD.

I've already tested it and it boot my notebook into zorin live just fine. This same disk could be used to install Zorin as well if needed. Now all I gotta do is buy Zorin OS 12 ultimate, download to my computer running in live mode off of DVD, then use Unetbootin to place that beautifully looking OS onto my USB drive, then I am read to install via USB. BTW, booting off of DVD takes way longer then USB flash lol! :lol:

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:38:38 am

Hi, Have responded about your Linux equivalent of Unetbootin - MultiSystem - nothing better! ;) :D