This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Tricky Installation

mdiemer

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:17:05 pm

I just downloaded Ultimate. I want to put it on a 500GB hard drive that currently has Deepin and Ubuntu. I want to replace Deepin with Zorin. When I tried installing, Zorin gave me choice of overwriting Ubuntu, but not Deepin. Deepin is on sda/1. Ubuntu on sda/6. I couldn't figure out how to get Zorin to install on sda/1. I chose the "something else"
option, but couldn't figure out how to proceed. I didn't want to bork my Ubuntu install.

Should I delete the Deepin partition? Or would that cause problems, as it is on sda/1? Or should I just make a third partition, and put Zorin there, and delete the Deepin partition later?

Or is there an easier way to do it?

Thanks,

Michael

Lin66

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:22:38 pm

You could go into the Live Zorin (try out Zorin first) and use Gparted to get rid of the desired partitioning. Then installing Zorin alongside Ubuntu and then it SHOULD ask you on resizing if you desire to allocate something different for each partitioning.

mdiemer

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:39:29 pm

Thanks Lin66. In the meantime, the Zorin team got back to me. I was able to choose to format the Deepin partition, select it as root, and the rest was easy.

Lin66

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:01:34 pm

mdiemer wrote:Thanks Lin66. In the meantime, the Zorin team got back to me. I was able to choose to format the Deepin partition, select it as root, and the rest was easy.

No problems glad it seem that their support is better than what I read on this forum a few days ago.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:24:09 pm

Hi mdiemer,

I keep trying different distros on another drive that I have Deepin 15.3 - don't want to get rid as it rolls up to the latest release when it comes out (32-bit version). On that drive (400 Gb Hitachi "Deathstar" as it is sometimes called) has whatever on start of drive, then '/home' then 'Deepin' then 'swap area'. If I want to try something instead of whatever is in front of /home I just delete the entire partition, create a new one and just create and format '/' then tell it to install to '/' - you should then be able to share the existing '/home' folder between the new OS and Deepin - just using my scenario. :D

mdiemer

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:15:17 pm

Hello Swarf, I like Deepin, but forum help is almost non-existent (unless you speak Chinese, presumably). I was really just passing time until Z12 came out. Also had installed Solus awhile back, but that got borked and wouldn't boot, and I couldn't get on their forum for some weird reason. Anyway, Z12 is here, and is incredible. Zorin and Ubuntu are my distros. I keep trying Mint, and am always impressed, at first. Then for some reason it just fades, I lose interest in it. Maybe it's too much eye-candy foe me.

star treker

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:16:19 pm

What did he say? He didn't just say too much eye candy! No, you can never have too much eye candy! As long as you got 16GB of memory, I say use 5GB of it if it will make me happy with more eye candy haha :D

mdiemer

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:20:06 pm

I like eye candy, but only to a point. I also want my system to be fast and uncluttered. I also have tried Makulu, that is way too much eye candy for me. Not to mention irritating quotes.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:55:00 am

mdiemer wrote:I like eye candy, but only to a point. I also want my system to be fast and uncluttered. I also have tried Makulu, that is way too much eye candy for me. Not to mention irritating quotes.

Just to say I got involved with Solus awhile back but they are so up themselves they forbade me to link guides I had written on here so I left them an pulled all the wallpapers I had created from my gnome-look.org account. As for Makulu you can turn those quotes off and a lot more besides. ;-)

Just to add I do agree about eye candy - that's why I prefer the Gnome weather extension to the one that comes with Zorin 12.

mdiemer

Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:15:18 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:
mdiemer wrote:I like eye candy, but only to a point. I also want my system to be fast and uncluttered. I also have tried Makulu, that is way too much eye candy for me. Not to mention irritating quotes.

Just to say I got involved with Solus awhile back but they are so up themselves they forbade me to link guides I had written on here so I left them an pulled all the wallpapers I had created from my gnome-look.org account. As for Makulu you can turn those quotes off and a lot more besides. ;-)

Just to add I do agree about eye candy - that's why I prefer the Gnome weather extension to the one that comes with Zorin 12.

I hear you on Solus. I wondered if they wouldn't let me on their forum because I didn't make a donation. Although I could be wrong, there may have been some other reason I couldn't get on their forum. But they did seem stuffy, although not as bad as the guys behind True OS.

I'll check out the Gnome weather app, thanks for the tip.

mdiemer

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:10:37 pm

Thread can be closed, many thanks for the help.