This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Download and Checksum Issues

mdiemer

Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:26:57 pm

Really having problems here with Zorin Ultimate. I downloaded it last night, but it failed the checksum. I decided to burn a DVD anyway, but it wouldn't work, I just destroyed a few more of my wife's DVDs. (My computer won't boot from USB. I do have the CD that lets you do that, and used it successfully once, but before I do that again I'm going to buy a new thumb drive that will only be for Linux installs. I'm using my other one as a backup for documents and such).

But this download takes three hours, and if it fails the checksum, well you get the idea. Another three hour download. This is why I really wish that Zorin would sell DVDs. I have paid over $16.00 American, but I still don't have Ultimate running, and don't know how much more frustration I will need to endure to get it running (or just give up and stick with Core). I would pay 50.00 for Ultimate, if they would just give me a nice DVD that would just work.

mdiemer

Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:34:33 pm

Would using a torrent speed things up, and reduce chance of corruption?

Lin66

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:03:43 pm

From here https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin it claims that OSDisc.com stock them. Not sure if that also includes Ultimate or not.

MBMz10

Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:36:38 pm

When it 'fails' the checksum is it always the same failed sum you get or a different one?

See AZorin post here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12477&p=54958#p54958

I have seen ad's on Distrowatch for DVD's and USB sticks with .iso file preinstalled on them but know nothing more about it than that.

Also you mentioned here and on another post about a CD that lets you boot from USB after booting from the CD first, I would like to know what/where/who/how about it as I have similar issue with one of my PC's, it will boot from USB 2 but not USB 3 as it is a PCIe add in card and doesn't seem to be recognized/powered/on in the BIOS. It works from the OS just fine though. (If anyone knows how I might be able to enable this in BIOS jump right in, MB is a Gigabyte EG43M-S2H)

mdiemer

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:06:32 pm

Hi there MBM, the CD I mentioned is:

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

Re: the checksum, I tried it twice, and got the same code both times. I'll check out the suggestions you made.

mdiemer

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:10:59 pm

Lin66 wrote:From here https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin it claims that OSDisc.com stock them. Not sure if that also includes Ultimate or not.

Thanks Lin, I checked it out but does not include Ultimate.

MBMz10

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:20:23 pm

Thanks for the link mdiemer, Elmar Crinch looks a little worrying.... off for some CD burning I go.
Hope yours starts to work out for you also.

Lin66

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:21:37 pm

mdiemer wrote:
Lin66 wrote:From here https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=zorin it claims that OSDisc.com stock them. Not sure if that also includes Ultimate or not.

I see I wonder why it doesn't offer Ultimate to be honest...

MBMz10

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:49:01 pm

Lin66 wrote:
mdiemer wrote:

I see I wonder why it doesn't offer Ultimate to be honest...

I guess they would have to have some sort of agreement with Zorin due to it being a paid for distro.

MBMz10

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:57:40 pm

mdiemer wrote:Hi there MBM, the CD I mentioned is:

https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

Re: the checksum, I tried it twice, and got the same code both times. I'll check out the suggestions you made.

Well I downloaded it and because I can boot off USB 2, burned the 6MB iso file on a USB 2 stick, boot off that then choose the Zorin 12 USB 3 image in the 'add in card' USB 3 port, in fact it found and booted up this way itself while I was still reading the screen. Works a treat, up to desktop in about 1m:25sec vs 2m:45sec on just USB 2.
Then there is the time it will save on installing...

Thanks again mdiemer.

Lin66

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:29:49 am

mdiemer wrote:
Lin66 wrote:I see I wonder why it doesn't offer Ultimate to be honest...

I guess they would have to have some sort of agreement with Zorin due to it being a paid for distro.

What the problem of them contacting them to settle an agreement?

mdiemer

Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:45:58 am

Lin66 wrote:
mdiemer wrote:
Lin66 wrote:I see I wonder why it doesn't offer Ultimate to be honest...

What the problem of them contacting them to settle an agreement?

I may contact zorin myself to make an offer. But I did that on Zorin 9, and they declined.

MBMz10

Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:18:46 am

Video just for you, and anyone else. Hope it helps, its about 14 minutes long from download to burning with Etcher.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12555

I put some other links in how to tutorials also under heading Creating Zorin OS 12 Bootable USB Sticks/Installing here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12554

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:09:22 pm

HI MBMz10 - many thanks for your input - I edited your posts in respect of their status - they are now at the top of the How-to and Tutorials section! 120 Blue Jewels to you sir - and that's before I have even checked them out! :D

MBMz10

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:28:04 pm

I best cash those jewels in fast just in case you don't like the content.

MBMz10

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:14:08 am

mdiemer, just thinking out loud here, maybe some options for you!
If you can 'burn' to CD or DVD etc maybe you could burn your 'other' USB drive documents etc (and verify you can read it) to CD or DVD and use it for OS 12 ultimate install?
And or copy/upload its contents to a 'cloud' such as Google Drive or dropbox or similar if your comfortable with that! It is good 'practice' to store 'back ups' off site should any unforeseen events or circumstances occur such as theft or fire for example and free up that other USB drive.

mdiemer

Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:16:32 pm

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. The reason I need a dedicated GNU/Linux distro-install usb, is that I switch between two computers. So I use my current usb as an easy way to copy files between them. and I do use an online backup, Box. I also back up my musical projects on CD so I can take them with me on a trip, in case of disasters at home. It's just that my older computer (listed here) doesn't have usb-boot, and I'm tired of wasting DVDs. Gets expensive after awhile! I just realized last night that I could also use the scan disk thingies as another backup. My wife says she has a 16 GB-one somewhere. that alone would back up everything, even my old Sonar installation CDs, should I never need them again (I currently use Reaper as my music software). And you can just put that sucker in coat pocket if you went on a trip. amazing. and this computer has all kinds of slots for those things, I just have never used them, thinking they were only for photos. Silly me.

mdiemer

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:18:35 pm

I discovered that the download was in fact ok. I was doing the checksum wrong. What happened: I was clicking on the 256 version of hash, and then selecting the iso file. however, doing those two steps in that order resulted in the program resetting to the default checksum option. So, I had to reset it to 256. Or you can make sure you select the file first, then select 256. Anyway, I got it burned on to a new usb.

However, I am now stuck booting from the usb. I have to use the Plop CD to boot first from CD, then usb. It finds the usb and gets as far as "loading boot sector," but that's it. I have used this method successfully once, to install Solus. But it's not working on Zorin. Haven't a clue why.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:45:47 pm

mdiemer wrote:I discovered that the download was in fact ok. I was doing the checksum wrong. What happened: I was clicking on the 256 version of hash, and then selecting the iso file. however, doing those two steps in that order resulted in the program resetting to the default checksum option. So, I had to reset it to 256. Or you can make sure you select the file first, then select 256. Anyway, I got it burned on to a new usb.

However, I am now stuck booting from the usb. I have to use the Plop CD to boot first from CD, then usb. It finds the usb and gets as far as "loading boot sector," but that's it. I have used this method successfully once, to install Solus. But it's not working on Zorin. Haven't a clue why.

It's a lengthy article/thread but well worth reading friend:

http://reboot.pro/topic/7927-boot-on-usb-on-old-pc/
^^^^^^^^
There was also this one but I think the first link is probably the most informative:

https://forum.plop.at/index.php?topic=1104.0

;) :D

mdiemer

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:15:48 pm

Holy Nerd Attack, Batman! I am hopelessly lost if I need to comprehend all that stuff to get this installed.
In the meantime, I have asked the Z bros if they will just mail me a DVD. I don't expect that will work, but heck it's worth a try.
I may try burning more DVD's, but my wife's supply is getting low. I hate to buy more out of concern for the environment.
Another thought I had: Take the drive I want to put it on out of the computer, and put it in my new computer, and install it there, then put it back in the old computer. Seems logical, but I'm sure there is a reason why it won't work. A variation on that would be to make a system image while it's in the new computer, then burn it to the drive when it's back in the old computer. Any way that might work?

MBMz10

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:49:42 pm

Glad to see you got the checksum sorted. Thats the first problem sorted. ( "if you solve enough problems you get to go home" Mark Watney aka Matt Damon - The Martian)
I used the 'plop' USB (from the link you gave me) to install Zorin 12 yesterday. Only difference is mine is on a USB drive rather than a CD but it worked a treat.

I have taken HDD's and SSD's out of one machine and used in another with Zorin 9 and 11. Unlike Windows, that has cardiac arrest if it wakes up in a different 'body', Linux seemed to work fine and in fact while waiting for OS12 to arrive I did just that to avoid having to go through all the reconfiguring and setting up something that I would only be using for a month or so!

Going by some of the info from Swarfendor437 link above, maybe even try creating the USB using a different method, Unetbootin, Disks, dd or such?
Will the USB boot in the new computer?

mdiemer

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:16:23 am

I have tried both Etcher and Unetbootin. Neither worked. Also tried burning the iso on Windows as well as Ubuntu. Once it got as far "installing boot loader," but then stalled. This is a real puzzler. I've never had trouble installing any Linux before. It's like an evil force has decided I will not Zorin 12 Ultimate on my computer.
Your info on using another computer is encouraging. If I get desperate enough I may try it.

MBMz10

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:22:51 am

"Once it got as far "installing boot loader," but then stalled." does this mean that you can boot up to the Zorin 12 desktop and start the installation process but it then 'fails' at installing boot loader stage?

mdiemer

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:40:33 am

No, it never gets off the Plop CD.
However...I just discovered that my computer will in fact recognize and boot from my new usb drive (it's a scan disk). I gave it one last shot, and chose the hard drive option, and low and behold, it was listed plain as day. So I booted from what I was sure was Ultimate. It booted into the live DVD, sure enough. But, somehow, it was Core. I know I burned the Ultimate iso, so I am totally weirded out how this can be. So, I'm now extracting Ultimate again from the download file and will try to burn it yet again. If this happens again, I'll know my computer is haunted. fortunately, I know who to call (assuming Bill Murray has recovered from the Cubs winning the World Series).

mdiemer

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:15:06 am

1:05 am, December 21: finally I have Ultimate. Just the live version for now, tomorrow I'll install it. My biggest mistake was assuming my computer could not boot from the scan disk usb. In fact it could. That one mistake sent me down all kinds of weird alleyways. But it's all good now, or will be assuming I get it installed and it works. I'll keep you posted, and thanks to all who helped out.

mdiemer

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:11:38 pm

Thread can be closed.