This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Installation Media Other Than USB?

mdiemer

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:02:47 pm

Anyone know if you can use one of those little square thingies you put in cameras to install Linux? My computer actually has 2 or 3 inputs for them, and my wife has several of them. May help me having buy a new thumb drive.

MBMz10

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:11:13 pm

Do you know if you can boot off those inputs? I was just looking at your Gateway GT5656 specs and appears that it has 15 in card reader.

CompactFlash Card type I, CompactFlash Card type II, SD Memory Card, SmartMedia Card, miniSD, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Microdrive, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCardmobile, MultiMediaCardplus

So next question is can you make a Bootable drive on one of those 'thingies'?

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:08:05 am

I'm sure either someone on here or a local forum where I live that it is possible - they are after all tiny versions of SSD's just a different shape to a flash drive. ;) :D

Here you go:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19045-01/bla ... ap_CF.html

mdiemer

Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:30:35 am

So it looks possible, but perhaps more complicated than usb.
As for my computer booting from one of those, I doubt it, but with the Plop CD, it may be. I may experiment, especially if the roads are bad tomorrow.

MBMz10

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:47:43 am

Have you got the 'correct hash' yet?

mdiemer

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:15:04 pm

The hash was ok, I was doing it wrong. In the meantime, I discovered that my computer can in fact boot from usb. My mistake was in only looking to see if the usb was listed on the boot menu, and not checking the hard drive option. Once I did that (falls under "last resort" category), I saw that it was in fact listed right after my two hard drives. My computer is not the dinosaur I thought it was.

mdiemer

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:15:40 pm

Thread can be closed, thanks for the help.