This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin without Wine?

chasbel2112

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:17:47 pm

Can WINE be safely removed from Zorin OS?
The OS itself looks like something I'd like to give a look at, however I don't really need or want WINE. However, I've always been a little apprehensive about removing programs that came preinstalled onto the OS. Can it be safely removed, or perhaps does a version exist that doesn't require WINE?

Thanks!

Lin66

Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:24:47 pm

chasbel2112 wrote:Can WINE be safely removed from Zorin OS?
The OS itself looks like something I'd like to give a look at, however I don't really need or want WINE. However, I've always been a little apprehensive about removing programs that came preinstalled onto the OS. Can it be safely removed, or perhaps does a version exist that doesn't require WINE?

Thanks!

Typically it safer to leave the stock alone, though you should be able to remove it from the menu so it still installed. But not within Instant viewing.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:56:58 pm

Well PlayOnLinux should be in the Software (Store) - just search for Wine and it will show up all apps relating to wine - then just click on the uninstall button. If there are obscure elements such as winetricks etc then make sure you have Synaptic Package Manager installed, search for 'wine' and when all apps come back with a green square, check mark each one, right-click and select either remove or remove completely then click on Apply from the top bar - job done! :D

wineremoval.jpg

If you click on the 'S' column these will sort into what is installed. The only one I would leave alone is 'gnome-colors' but safely get rid of the rest. ;) :D

Lin66

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:58:48 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:The only one I would leave alone is 'gnome-colors' but safely get rid of the rest. ;) :D

What's about this resource that one shared with me? https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... almistakes in this case #9 suggesting that you don't uninstall stock applications basically because Linux tend to "share" the files across applications.

MBMz10

Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:11:25 pm

Lin66 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:The only one I would leave alone is 'gnome-colors' but safely get rid of the rest. ;) :D

What's about this resource that one shared with me? https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... almistakes in this case #9 suggesting that you don't uninstall stock applications basically because Linux tend to "share" the files across applications.

Guilty. Broken a few of these 10 commandments myself, Broken a few systems also :D Had systems break for no known reason also, well not that I can remember doing anything.
I don't need/use half of the installed apps in my Zorin 12 Ultimate but prefer to just leave them alone also.
I installed Zorin 12 a few weeks ago and removed Chromium and Geary and had a window focus problem that caused me to reinstall again on Boxing day, not 100% sure if that caused the issue as I didn't note what I did and when problem arrived etc. Now I've installed some Gnome Extensions (Guilty again) and I know they are causing issues!

I opened Synaptic as per Swarfendor437 instructions above, searched 'wine', clicked on the "S" column and 'gnome-colors' was not installed, see below!
Synaptic GnomeColors.jpg

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:11:22 am

Lin66 wrote:

OK, here's a useful tip: look at what packages are going to be removed when you select for removal. Wine is not integral to any distribution; it is there for people wanting to run my office or widows games under GNU/Linux. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:13:17 am

MBMz10 wrote:
Lin66 wrote:

Guilty. Broken a few of these 10 commandments myself, Broken a few systems also :D Had systems break for no known reason also, well not that I can remember doing anything.
I don't need/use half of the installed apps in my Zorin 12 Ultimate but prefer to just leave them alone also.
I installed Zorin 12 a few weeks ago and removed Chromium and Geary and had a window focus problem that caused me to reinstall again on Boxing day, not 100% sure if that caused the issue as I didn't note what I did and when problem arrived etc. Now I've installed some Gnome Extensions (Guilty again) and I know they are causing issues!

I opened Synaptic as per Swarfendor437 instructions above, searched 'wine', clicked on the "S" column and 'gnome-colors' was not installed, see below!
Synaptic GnomeColors.jpg

Now I think about it that will be because I installed gnome-color-chooser :-)