This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

installing Zorin os 12 64 bit

@c%pv?$(+m/^4#&h

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:23:15 am

I have a hpcompaq 6005 mini tower as a spare pc. It has windows 7 pro installed 64 bit. I have formatted a 32gusb stick, then downloaded unetbootin.sourceforge.net. then downloaded
Zorin-os 12 64bit. I have booted from the usb, and Zorin is working. As I also have an ASUS pc with windows 7 which I want to keep as it is, I was wondering if I installed Zorin on the
hp pc and let it wipe windows will it boot correctly. A while back I installed a version of Linux Mint Cinnamon and it caused the pc to start shutting down on startup. I wondered if Zorin
will boot correctly. I do not wish to dual boot as I do not think this hp pc has enough memory for both systems, and I my main ASUS pc has windows 7.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:35:49 am

Having looked at the spec:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publ ... -c01864939

It''s hard to say as they made it with lots of different configurations:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

If it's a Sempron you may have issues! I always avoid where possible cut-down processors - I would never buy Celeron (Intel) /Sempron (AMD equivalent of Celeron) cpu rigs.

Did the machine come with CD recovery disks or is it one with a hidden recovery partition? If the latter you need to delete everything off the hard drive before installing GNU/Linux.

@c%pv?$(+m/^4#&h

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:32:00 pm

Thank you for replying Swarfendor437, The model of the pc is HP6005 Pro Quad AMD-Phe-2-x4 B95. This pc is a refurbished pc that I purchased a few months ago as a spare. I only
paid $189.00 Australian for it. It does not have a dvd, but I do have the product key for windows 7 pro. I would have loved to install Zorin. It looks like something an all time Windows
7 user will like. I would not install it in my Asus pc, as it has a dual core processor, and this was the machine that had trouble with Linux previously. I do not know a lot about the bios,
find it a bit spooky.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:31:16 pm

Will it boot off USB? If so I would use your Windows machine and try the Etcher method which Zorin advise on their help install official blog - please take a look at that first.

https://zorinos.com/help/install-zorin-os/

@c%pv?$(+m/^4#&h

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:00:15 am

Thank you again, Yes the machine does boot from the usb stick into the Zorin desktop, with the option to install the system. I used the following method.
1. Formatted the usb (FAT32)
2. Downloaded unet.bootin.sourceforge.net
3.Naturally had downloaded Zorin-os-12-C for 64bit operating systems.
Is this the incorrect way to do it?

@c%pv?$(+m/^4#&h

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:54:03 am

Hello again, I am going to start over again using etch as your post says. Reading about the site I downloaded from, there is a lot of people saying that it can add bloatware, maybe even malware. I will format the usb with windows, and follow the instructions from your link above. Will post back in about a day or 2, internet connection is a bit slow today. Thank you.