This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Can not progress at Zorin installation

suoy

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:02:09 pm

Hello,
I'm trieng to install the current 64bit version of zorin (*12-Core-64-20161120.iso) with an USB Flash drive (per Etcher). I followed step per step, but everytime i try to install the system, i come to the point where is see the logo and then... nothing else happens. It also jumps over the Menu where i "could" chose if i want to install the system on a hard drive or test it in a virtual environment. Even after multiple attempts and clean new ISO installations, i have the same problem every time.

Maybe it's something that has to do with my computer specifications:
XMG P506-nbt PRO Notebook,
- Chipset: Mobile Intel HM170 Express
- Graphic-card: GTX 970M (Optimus)
- CPU: i7-6700HQ
- DD3 8GB RAM
- 40GB SSD (Sata)
- I also should say that i have 2 "m.2" (not used) slots, only USB 3.0 slots (no USB 2) and 2 Display Ports.

It's totaly up to date. But maybe the Chipset, the USB 3.0 card, the (always make it more complicate when i want to use Linux) Graphiccard with the anoying Nvidia Optimus tech, could make a problem with Zorin.

Now I format my USB to Fat32 (this time the whole sectors (not the fast option under Windows)) and make it ready to boot again.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:47:30 pm

Are you dual-booting or just intending to have Zorin on this rig? ;) :D

suoy

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:10:12 pm

Dual-booting (Windows 10),
Windows 10 is on the 1 TB HDD and Linux should be on the 40GB SSD,

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:11:48 am

Well I think that could be the issue. Leaving GNU/Linux aside I understood it that Sod's hold the OS and HDDs the applications as the latter have more read write attributes to avoid wearing out the SSD. I would have put Win 10 on the SSD and Zorin on the HD. Will check out and get back to you.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:17:53 am

suoy

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:18:23 pm

Today i accomplished to install linux, i made a live session and created my own partition label for the SSD (I know Windows would be an better option, usualy... but i dont have a lot of space at the SSD and Windows can be a real pain in the a** by creating .temp files and other c*** to fill your little free space). I put the bootloader on the SSD. Everything seemed perfect, i could boot from Zorin and Log me in, but... then it stuck on the login-screen...

suoy

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:21:32 pm

I wouldn't call this system stable

suoy

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:23:20 pm

-/-
make an system file check with fsck

suoy

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:28:45 pm

Login with the Option [System Default] is not a good idea, go with [Zorin Desktop] and it works for me... Can use the system now, maken some updates with the terminal

suoy

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:59:19 pm

After downloading and installing the updates, i cant log me in anymore...

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:58:01 pm

Hi, I don't possess an SSD, it would appear fortunately for me. I posted you links to the way forward. If you fail to ignore tried and tested methods by people with same hard drives as you in a configuration that is known to work, then there is little else we can do to assist you. This topic will be marked as [CLOSED] and locked.