This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Error during installation along with windows 7

Agamemnon

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:58:57 pm

Hello community
I would like to install Zorin OS next to my Windows 7 installation, but unfortunately I always got the following error:
Code:
Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition

When I try to install with the "Something else" option I can not create any partition, but get an Zorin error message.

Can somebody help me with this?

I am using a Lenovo Y510P with an 500GB SSD drive.
I have freed 25GB on that disk to install Zorin on it.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Matthias

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:42:06 pm

Hi, You will be having a minimal install with that amount of space and it might not be long before you fill up your 25 Gb partition. That aside, you should be able to boot into live mode, run gparted and take a snapshot of your current partition information:

gparted.jpg

Agamemnon

Mon May 01, 2017 3:09:15 pm

Hi
thank you for your reply.

Find attached what gparted shows during the installation out of the live system and the error message when I try to create a partition.
The error message pops up three or four times, but than the partition I want to create gets listed.
Nevertheless, I am afraid that I destroy my other partitions if there are any errors during the creation of the new ones.

Any hints for me?

Thank you in advance.
BR
Matthias

Swarfendor437

Mon May 01, 2017 9:17:38 pm

OK, I would shrink your sda3 partition by about 20 Gb to give some extra space to free space but so as not to screw things up, apply the 'shrink' partition command in Windows first. Basically, watch Matthew Moore's video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

And how I applied the process to an existing install of Windows 7:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

Please note that you should put your Zorin Bootloader on the last partition you are going to create - Once Windows has allocated the extra space from sda3, don't partition the free space into 3 separate ones, just a single one, format it to ext4 then run the installer but be sure that the bootloader is installed to the sda partition created. Before you start, backup any critical data, and download the bootloader that keeps your mbr intact stated in the video of Matthew Moore and his description underneath. ;) :D