This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Tablet stylus works with live DVD but not after install

lsitongia

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:10:23 pm

Hi,

I'm installing the latest, 12.x, on an HP Envy 8 Note. I tried the live operation from the installer DVD, without installing, and everything seemed to work, including the Wacom stylus/digitizer, bluetooth, wireless. So, I proceeded to install it. (After a number of failed installs, I got it going and) everything works except the stylus/digitizer.

Is there a configuration option for this? Or, does someone know what I need to install at this point?

Thanks for your help.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:56:38 pm

OK, first make sure your installation is up-to-date - open Software Updater in System Tools and click on the cancel button once it starts - then click on 'Settings' button on bottom left of interface and change your country's locale server for updates to 'Main Server'. Now run the Software Updater Tool and install any updates before proceeding further - a restart may be needed. Next go to Software to bottom of right-side of Menu and search for Synaptic Package Manager - install that then once installed use the Search filter near top middle above main interface window and enter Wacom - if not check marked install the xenial package that my mouse pointer is pointing to in the screenshot below and see if that sorts it - plus any of the packages that are wacom related in my screenshot if none selected in yours:

Wacom.jpg

Thinking about it that is only a 'transitional' package so ignore but just make sure that:

1. all those elements checked in my screenshot (green boxes) are present.

2. attach the tablet after you have booted the machine - if it still does not work, shut down and reboot with the tablet attached.

lsitongia

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:12:36 am

Thank you for your rapid response and help. I think using the Main Server was crucial for success there. I'd tried upgrading before, and it failed. However, after upgrading, reboot gives me a blank screen. I've attempted a bunch of resets and boots, but I can't get it to come back. Now I'm trying the live distro again, so I can try to fix something. Screen remains blank after booting live. I'll keep trying. The E8N is finicky about booting. I hope I can try your solution.

lsitongia

Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:52:12 am

After a few seemingly pointless resets and reboots, I got the desktop back. I don't know why this HP E8N is so inconsistent in booting up...

In Synaptics, The "hwe" line that you have highlighted is selected. I did not unselect it (in that case, and after I selected a bunch of wacom packages, it said packages were broken, so I quit and started over). I selected xenial. That's the only change I needed to make.

A few more reboots to blank screens and I finally can see the screen again. Touch doesn't work.

When I look in a terminal at lsmod's output for wacom I see that the text for wacom is red. What does that mean? It is red on a line of its own and also in the line for "hid".

Thanks for your help.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:29:53 am

Hi, the xenial package was a transition before the final package - that means transitional packages are effectively 'deprecated' and won't work. With regards to touch-screen, see if you can install the following packages (highlighted in green):

touchscreen.jpg

Does Bluetooth work? Saw this:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads ... ote.71116/

lsitongia

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:51:56 pm

Sorry, I think I was not clear from the beginning. This also makes searching for solutions difficult. I'm not using an external Wacom tablet. This computer is a tablet computer that has Wacom built in. The HP Envy 8 Note is an 8" Windows 10 64-bit tablet with an Intel Atom x5-Z8300 CPU with a Wacom digitizer built into the screen, so it works with finger touch and a Wacom stylus.

lsitongia

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:35:24 pm

Bluetooth worked from the beginning. That's nice.

I installed your second set of suggestions, and the touchscreen does not work. I'll continue trying stuff.

I've enabled ssh login so that I can see if the system is up when the screen is blank, and it is. Often, after reboot, the screen remains blank. About 1 out of 3 reboots the screen comes up and I can login to X11.

Thank you for your help. I think these aren't Zorin-specific problems, but are Ubuntu or even more fundamental Linux and device driver problems. I understand if you tell me this isn't appropriate for this forum.

I thought this would all work, and it does work, with booting the live system from the DVD. I've seen this same behavior with another distribution (maybe it was stock Ubuntu itself).

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:00:51 pm

Hi, I'm aware of the fact that your envy 8 is a hybrid - sometimes peripheral drivers are needed, a bit like internal drives sometimes show up as internal USB devices, examples include Touchpads. You could try installing the ELO driver but this is specific to ELO touch screens. I thought there were other packages in the past but they may not have updated in respect of the newer kernels that are being released. You have to remember that the majority of branded Notebooks and Computers are aimed purely at the Windows or Android market and not GNU/Linux - it's time for you to lobby HP to provide GNU/Linux drivers for your notebook friend! ;) :D

Check out this thread too: https://www.linux.com/learn/how-configu ... reen-linux