This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

lvmetad is not active yet

sonicdiscovery

Tue May 16, 2017 9:04:27 pm

Hi, I just went through two clean installs on a HP laptop and keep getting "lvmetad is not active yet" after 1st software update. Opens to a terminal login but not able to connect. I have disk encryption also. Please help if there is an answer, I have searched the blogs and site with no luck. Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 16, 2017 9:11:30 pm

Hi, don't include encryption at point of install - do it afterwards! ;) :D

More information also needed - is the Drive an SSD or HDD? Dual Boot or GNU/Linux only?

Make and model of machine and current partition status - submit a screenshot using Gparted partition editor in live mode and use 'Screenshot' in utilitities, remembering to save as a .jpg not default .png which you can amend manually before saving and uploading your attachment (screenshot). ;)

sonicdiscovery

Tue May 16, 2017 9:44:20 pm

Thank you for quick reply!

HDD
Linux only

Will go back into the laptop with the install DVD for Gparted.

I have a kali and debian machine that I did encryption after, may try that method. Also was surprised that there was only one person I found in the forums with this same unsolved issue. Maybe it's a new issue with a recent upgrade.

I found the problem happened after I did the software upgrade from 12 to the latest if that means anything...
Thank you...!

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, don't include encryption at point of install - do it afterwards! ;) :D

More information also needed - is the Drive an SSD or HDD? Dual Boot or GNU/Linux only?

Make and model of machine and current partition status - submit a screenshot using Gparted partition editor in live mode and use 'Screenshot' in utilitities, remembering to save as a .jpg not default .png which you can amend manually before saving and uploading your attachment (screenshot). ;)

Swarfendor437

Tue May 16, 2017 11:59:50 pm

One other thing, you don't have it set to autologin do you?

Also look here

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ectory-but]

sonicdiscovery

Wed May 17, 2017 3:20:07 pm

Correct, I do not have auto login set. I have whole disk encryption with the home folder also encrypted. I also have the bios power on and admin password set for the laptop.

I had to deliver a laptop to a customer with linux on it today. I prefer Zorin, as he is new to linux and likes the security features. In the interm I used mint, but was hoping to resolve this issue for future installs. With the bios power on and admin password set for the laptop, also in mint, I have noticed that sometimes I still see the tty1 screen, but only for a second then the normal Mint login screen. Thinking there may be a conflict with the kernal update, as both Zorin and Mint installs were very similar.

Thank you for you r time and help...

I will keep checking the forum and see if this topic pops up again and a source of the issue.

:)

Swarfendor437 wrote:One other thing, you don't have it set to autologin do you?

Also look here

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ectory-but]

Swarfendor437

Wed May 17, 2017 5:21:47 pm

Did you check that link I posted? ;) :D

If Mint was having similar issues I wonder if the Notebook had a hybrid graphics chip - Intel/nVidia - lots of issues around that particular chipset - not a 'pure' graphics chipset. ;)

Scratch above - see my Global posting here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13095

sonicdiscovery

Thu May 18, 2017 4:02:25 pm

Yes, thank you. That's probably whats going on. a good thing for me to check before I commit myself.
regards...
Swarfendor437 wrote:Did you check that link I posted? ;) :D

If Mint was having similar issues I wonder if the Notebook had a hybrid graphics chip - Intel/nVidia - lots of issues around that particular chipset - not a 'pure' graphics chipset. ;)

Scratch above - see my Global posting here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13095