This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Installation of Zorin 12 Lite Ultimate 64bit

ian4238

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:43:45 am

I tried this system on almost unused Dell Optiflex 760 with Windows 10 Pro (official recycle by Microsoft). It ran from USB OK. Clicked Install and followed "Next". All seemed OK until "Where are you" screen, then another smaller box popped up saying:

[ Failed to create a swap space
The creation of swap space in partition #6 of SCS15 (0.0.0) (sdb) failed.

OK ]

If you click the OK nothing happens. The PC is frozen at that point. I am afraid to turn off power in case I lose my WIN 10. Any suggestions on how to fix this? The USB drive is still plugged in. If you move the mouse, the screen above is still there. Other info: WIN 10 Pro Version 10.0.14393. Processor i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10 GHz Quad core. RAM 4.00GB. System - 64bit operating system, X64-based processor. Graphics AMD Radeon HD6350. Dell BIOS Version A16 Legacy mode.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:47:44 am

Do you have Windows 10 recovery media? Did you ever get to the stage where it asks where you want to install Zorin? When dual-booting Windows OS that has UEFI (secure boot) you should follow the Matthew Moore Method:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13233&hilit=+Matthew+Moore#p58108

ian4238

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:41:54 am

I do not have any recovery media. I did the installation exactly according to the instructions, and told it to install Zorin alongside WIN 10. All went fine until the very end, when it asked "Where are you?" It gave no details of the partition of the HDD, but in the past when I installed Zorin 6,9 and 12 alongside WIN 7, it did a logical partition that always seemed to work. When I got the PC a few months ago, I asked the recyclers to give me a BIOS Legacy system, so UEFI should not be involved.
Today I had another look at the pop-up screen (Failed to create a swap space) and notice a small (almost invisible) triangle in the top lefthand corner. When left-clicked it gave a small menu:

* (Maximise?)
- ( Minimise?)
Minimise all other windows
More
* Roll window up
* (full screen?)
* (round symbol like O)

x Close
Clicking the "Close" just closes the little menu, but has no effect on the main pop-up. If I turn off the power to the PC will it cancel the install? Will I lose WIN 10? Should I remove the USB stick and try to boot to WIN 10? I did check the download with 'Quick Hash' so it should be correct, and used Etcher to make the USB.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18:29 pm

Not sure on this friend as we don't know how you set up partitions or if anything else - can you run the Partition Editor that comes with Lite whilst in Live Mode? ;) :D

ian4238

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:02:02 pm

When Zorin Lite was running live, I checked with GParted. It gave the following:
/dev/sda1 ntfs Size 232.89 GiB Used 48.83 GiB Unused 184.06 GiB
Unallocated unallocated 1.18MiB - -

In the little box top right of GParted screen, it read first /dev/sda1 (232.89 GiB)
After clicking the little triangle in the box, it read /dev/sdb ( 14.94 GiB)

This is about half of total HDD of 500 GB. When running live there was an icon on desktop reading "250 GB Volume". When moused over "Removable Volume. Not mounted yet"

When I clicked "Install", I got an error message that was being reported. It was a long one and I did not record it. Tried again a few times, but error message did not crop up again. Just nothing happened. Shut down, removed USB, and rebooted WIN 10. All OK. I then booted up "Linux Lite" from an old USB to see what happened. Running live I tried GParted and got:
"Libparted error. Invalid partition table - recursive partition on /dev/sdb Cancel / Ignore
Clicked Ignore. Nothing happened. Shut down and removed USB.

Today I spent a few hours making a Recovery USB Drive for WIN 10. It should enable reinstallation of WIN 10 if necessary.
I also burned a DVD of Zorin 12.1 Lite Ultimate instead of USB, to try installing again. If it will start an install, I can use the "Something Else" to hopefully install Zorin on the "250 GiB Volume". It is all a bit frightening, as I have never done anything like this before. May be a couple of days before I have time to try (midnight now).

mdiemer

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:10:11 pm

If not already too late, I would clone the entire hard drive. Then you can proceed without worrying about losing anything. I personally use Clonezilla. It is fast and powerful, but not very user-friendly (all text). Then there is Macrium Reflect. The free version works fine.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:06:05 am

If anything is showing up after Win 10 partition (C:\drive) after you have backed up your entire drive, delete it. Before advising further, have you partitioned the drive at all before attempting an install? The best way to install is the Matthew Moore Method here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

ian4238

Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:14:35 pm

Many thanks for the various suggestions. Today I tried installing Linux Lite XFCE from an old USB, and had no trouble getting to the final stages. It showed the partition of the HDD etc which my previous Install did not. Fortunately their installer has a box "Back/ Exit Install" so I was able to stop the install at the last minute. I tried the DVD I had made but it was terribly slow. I used Etcher to make a new USB of Zorin Lite on a cheap $4 8GB SanDisk, and installed Zorin 12.1 Lite alongside WIN 10 exactly as I wanted. The other USB must have been faulty.
Thanks again.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:12:34 pm

Yes, they don't last forever! Have marked as [RESOLVED]. ;) :D