This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installed Zorin 9, ran upgrade, now its broken....

rileyzed

Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:14:56 pm

I installed Zorin 9, rand sudo apt-get upgrade, and restarted then updated.
After this I turned off the computer and removed the HDD, and after doing some maintenance reinstalled the HDD to the proper slot and wired it all up. After booting again there is no Zorin to boot. :?: Please Help a guy out. My partner needs this tower for Work, I'd just rather not reinstall it.... :!:

mdiemer

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:47:31 pm

I can't tell you what is wrong , but I solved my update problem like this: after installing Zorin 12 Lite, and updating, the updating would get stalled. I reinstalled, and this time I opted to have updates installed during installation. Now it updates fine.

rileyzed

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:51:12 pm

It updated / upgraded just fine, but it was after unplugging then plugging back in the HDD (Of course with the tower off and discharged.) that Zorin was no longer a boot option.

I am going to install Linux Mint 18.2 "Sonya" Cinnamon for him.
Primarily I just need a linux distro that will work for him to do spreadsheets and documents compatible with microsoft office stuff.

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:02:44 am

Your error was in the command, it should have been:

Code:
sudo apt-get update & & sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

You missed out 'dist-' and effectively installed Ubuntu and broke Zorin install.

rileyzed

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:11:18 am

Haha I did indeed....forgot about that...
Thank you.