This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin lite 12.1 release, "OS updates" hangs

PietO

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:30:16 am

Installed Zorin Lite official release on virtual; machine and did all availalable updates after installation. Than starting to look at installed Software and options.

The "Software" program with labels "All Installed Updates" includes under Updates the option "OS Updates: includes performance, stability and security improvements". Installing this OS update does not succeed: in hangs at about 60% without figuring out where it hangs.

Is this normal or typical for my installation?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:16:09 am

Hi, still need to get this installed myself but can you change your software updates from your country server to Main Server?

MBMz10

Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:57:28 pm

Seems like it is normal to 'hang'. Try "Software Updater" from the Main Menu as it seems to work better.

mdiemer

Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:29:59 pm

What helped me was reinstalling, and this time checking the option to install updates during installation. May be quicker in the long run. After doing his, all my updates now work fine.

MBMz10

Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:52:14 am

mdiemer wrote:What helped me was reinstalling, and this time checking the option to install updates during installation. May be quicker in the long run. After doing his, all my updates now work fine.

Does the update notifier now automatically arrive on screen from time to time or do you run/check often before it does?
I had it turn up automatically the other day and said 'remind me later' but didn't see reminder for a few days and did it manually. Not sure how long 'later' is!
Cant recall if I selected installing updates during the install or not.

PietO

Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:53:28 pm

@MBMz10: standard Software Updater was working well and all updates available were installed (see first entry in this thread).

@mdiemen: i did also checked the option to install updates during installation, and still about 100 Mbyte updates were installed AFTER the installation. Just looking around in Zorin Lite i did find the special OS-update option which did hang!!
Retried today (thus about 27-21-6 days later) without any changes: it still hangs stating "INSTALLING"

@ Swarfendor437: today changed server from Netherlands to Main and Updating Cache fails completely (NOT a couple of days ago). Doing a restart, and update-cache is working; retrying to install /Software/Updates/OS updates and hangs (maybe not forever, but at least minutes until i'm bored and typing this in.). Something is wrong here.

Now trying to test Installation of another one "Document Viewer" Evince; nothing happens net even a blue starting line.

???????

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:27:50 am

Have you tried booting to advanced mode then running DPKG but be sure you have Internet connection. After completion shut down the machine - do not select 'continue' and boot the machine then from Terminal enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update & & sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

PietO

Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:11:59 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have you tried booting to advanced mode then running DPKG

Would not know how to do that but . . . . . Cold boot today failed by some error (possibly memory problem) but retry oke.

Guess what? started "Software Updater" using main-server and it started to update (68 MB) Linux 4.10.0.-28 generic. All fine and than tried to do "Software" update (strange that two different updaters exist, but oke), and this time NO PACKAGES WERE OFFERED TO UPDATE (6 in the past which were failing). Thus all seems fine but root-cause unknown. Leave it for the time being and will come back as soon as real problem occurs.