This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Red Eclipse

nomad117

Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:51:23 pm

Red Eclipse is
Ubuntu Software Center wrote:A single-player and multi-player first-person ego-shooter, built as a total conversion of Cube Engine 2, which lends itself toward a balanced gameplay, with a general theme of agility in a variety of environments.

As far as free, low-fps, PC shooters go, this game is one of the best. I've tried it out for myself and I can just say that I'm having loads of fun. I'm not here to advertise it; I'm here to tell you what I'm doing with it.
In the game is a map editor that allows you to modify and create new and existing maps for play. It's based off of cubes (like Minecraft, but different). Here is an example of a map called "Pool" that I've made myself:
There's supposed to be water, but I'm showing what the map looks like underwater (save for the buildings and the tops of the pillars). How do you think it looks? Any ideas?

nomad117

Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:06:07 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Did you have to code or is it graphical 'drag'n'drop'? Looks good to me but not played fps for some time - I think my preference is for strategy and car racing (I love Mario Kart!). I seem to remember there was a good FPS that came with my VectorLinux De-Luxe 5.9 - not sure if it was 'AssaultCube' but will have to check back on this.

Oh, yeah. I played Assault Cube, too. The building in this game is almost identical to that. You use the scroll key on your mouse to raise or lower cubes from any flat surfaces and then build from there. There are also commands to give you effects like lighting, weapon and player spawns.

madvinegar

Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:56:42 am

swarfendor437 wrote:(I love Mario Kart!).

You mean Super TUX Kart... :mrgreen:

nomad117

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:06:11 am

Just another screenshot for the heck of it.

steveking

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:58:02 am

This is being installed :D

Wolfman

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26:10 pm

Hi Nomad,

is that the actual clour of the game surface or just the mapping colours when you set it up??.

Regards Wolfman :D

nomad117

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:03:55 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Nomad,

is that the actual clour of the game surface or just the mapping colours when you set it up??.

Really, the default checkerboard surface is light gray and dark gray. The colors you see here are a combination of ambient lighting and other white lights.

madvinegar

Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:55:03 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:
That as well - when it doesn't 'crash'! :D (No pun intended!)

My 4 year old son loves tux kart, and he plays for hours, and, ofcourse, not giving the proper respect to the laptop and the keyboard. I never had any crash, apart from the noumerous times that my son crashes the kart on the wall! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BubbaBlues

Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:22:57 pm

My favorite game is Sauerbraten which is also a cube2 game. It's very fast pace fps and a lot of people playing online. Pretty addictive,
in fact I'm off to join a game right now. 8-)

nomad117

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:37:39 am

BubbaBlues wrote:My favorite game is Sauerbraten which is also a cube2 game. It's very fast pace fps and a lot of people playing online. Pretty addictive,
in fact I'm off to join a game right now. 8-)

When I first entered an online server for Red Eclipse, some of the players asked if I came from Sauerbraten. I had no idea what they were talking about. I'll take a look at it sometime.

BubbaBlues

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:53:00 pm

I downloaded and installed red eclipse but it was the older version. So I downloaded the new one but I don't know how to install
a tarbz2. I know I can play it from the folder but I want to install it. What little I've played of it, it seems really cool. 8-) 8-)

madvinegar

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:01:54 am

I suppose you will get instructions when you will extract the tarbz2 folder. Look for a file named "installation" or "readme".

The usual procedure is:
1) extract
2) navigate to the extracted file.
3) ./configure
4) sudo make
5) sudo make install

However you need first to read the instructions.

Wolfman

Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:21:28 am

Hi,

you can also get it from here:

https://launchpad.net/~arand/+archive/redeclipse

BubbaBlues

Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:32:46 pm

madvinegar wrote:I suppose you will get instructions when you will extract the tarbz2 folder. Look for a file named "installation" or "readme".

The usual procedure is:
1) extract
2) navigate to the extracted file.
3) ./configure
4) sudo make
5) sudo make install

However you need first to read the instructions.

Yeah, the usual procedure doesn't work. But then they never do for me. :roll: :D

Thanks Wolfman. For some reason I never saw that page. I added the ppa and I'm downloading the svn package now. 8-)

Wolfman

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:34:32 pm

Hi Bubba,

please note that you may have problems with the SVN version:

"SVN:
Development of Red Eclipse is constantly moving, and the SVN packages here might not always be able be up to date with the SVN version and may also be INCOMPATIBLE with the server and impossible to play online with."

BubbaBlues

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:12:22 am

So far it's working, but I know for sure that the version in playdeb is incompatible with all servers. So at least
this one works for now. :D

Wolfman

Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54:41 am

Hi Bubba,

as long as it doesn't crash on a regular basis, you should be okay!!.

Locate the installed packages in synaptic and right click the main one and see if there are any suggested packages you can install.

nomad117

Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:17:19 pm

BubbaBlues wrote:So far it's working, but I know for sure that the version in playdeb is incompatible with all servers. So at least

Have you just tried installing Red Eclipse from the Ubuntu Software Center?

BubbaBlues

Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:38:21 am

nomad117 wrote:
BubbaBlues wrote:So far it's working, but I know for sure that the version in playdeb is incompatible with all servers. So at least

Have you just tried installing Red Eclipse from the Ubuntu Software Center?

Yes, it is incompatible with online servers.