This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] How to dual boot Windows 7 and Zorin 6.2 Ultimate ?

905dude

Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:33:09 pm

Hi ... I have a hard drive partition into 2 drives . At the moment I have windows 7 onto one partition and the other partition is empty , ( C>> 300gb and Z >> 105gb drives ) . I would like to install Zorin on my Z drive and I'm curious how to do so ?
Its going to be on a 64bit system and I already have the 64 bit Zorin Ultimate 6.2 . I try doing a search in how its done but nothing came up . Thanks

905dude

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:37:33 am

Thanks for your respond , though that video is very hard to view , I'm sure you did your best with it . I'm curious to know you made one 512mb swap drive as logical and then created a 400gb primary Ext4journaling file system / . Then you click make a new partition , from where does this get created from ? Is it from the free empty 300gb area and also is that where the OS got installed on ? The swap area drive is 512mb all that is needed ? Thanks

905dude

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:26:54 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:OK, point takent! I do need to get a new one done and preferably on vimeo! First off I would read that guide that I put together, which includes how to dual boot and the steps you need to take before doing anything else - if you did not run chkdsk before resizing your Windows 7, you should do it now, and follow up with a defrag. Now most modern GNU/Linux distributions place swap at the end. So here is the format:

1. After you have 'serviced' windows as outlined above, boot off the live Zorin DVD into 'live' mode and click on the 'Install to hard drive' icon.

2. When you get to the part how you want to install, choose the last option - something else.

3. You will then be taken into 'gparted' (Gnome partition editor) - you should see your Windows partition, identified by NTFS somewhere on the graphical representation and to the left of your 'Z' drive.

4. If Z drive has been formatted to FAT32 or NTFS, delete it (provided you have not got any data on there!!!)

5. Next add or create a new partition in the free space of 15 Gb, formatted to 'ext4' and mark it '/' - this is where the 'System' will reside for Zorin, and make sure it is marked as a 'Primary' partition..

6. Create an extended (logical partition) and create the 'swap area' AT THE END of the extended partition which should equal the amount of RAM you have in the machine - if you intend to increase the RAM at some point then make the SWAP area = to the max RAM you intend to install.

7. Whatever is left at the beginning of the extended partiton, format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home' - this is where your personal data is kept so that if the system should crash, your data remains intact. It is also the place where all your Windows Applications reside if you intend to install any using WINE.

Hope this is clear for you! :D

Thanks for this and I will give your guide a read at after I have done the installation . Next time I post will be hopefully with the correct set up . Thx

905dude

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:12:11 pm

Well, I got it to dual boot but whether I did it right I'm still not sure . What I did was I created the following , first drive was the ext4 / primary and then the swap drive and lastly the /home drive . I install the OS on the ext4 / primary drive . Once I start up the OS I click the Computer icon and I see >> lost+found with a red x folder and my user name folder . This lost+found folder I can't open it . Also when I check the size of the home folder it seem to be the same size as my OS drive folder . I must of made an error some where , yes ?