This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED]Zorin install freezes at boot screen

Donut

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:01:32 pm

Greetins
I am new on here
the problem is my friend
is having difficulty in installing
it seems to be freezing at the boot screen
and stops
what are your suggestions?
here is th thread
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GNUAndL ... tif_t=like
its a group on facebook
please let me know and i think he joined the forum also
thank you
:geek:

Sean649

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:37:09 pm

when I try "nomodeset" on the bootloader, that's what I get.

After pressing enter, it showed me this:

Donut

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:30:48 am

Hi sean no answer as yet

Wolfman

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20:11 am

Hi chaps,

did you both do a disk install and did you both burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

I am sorry but I don't log into FaceBook on strangers pages!!.

You need to supply some more details as to whether you are using Zorin 6 or 7 and 32 or 64 Bit and your type of PC, did you also try using "acpi=off" instead of "nomodeset" ??.

Regards Wolfman :D

Donut

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:57:51 pm

Greetins...its a group page on facebook Linux group
over 36000 members
and i will let sean know about it
thank you me brethren de wolfman
:)

Sean649

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:48:22 pm

Well, after doing many tests, I can confirm you that it's not a burning problem or something that is relates to common issues. We all think that it's a hardware problem... All we know for the moment is that's not a problem relate to RAM because I changed it and it still not work.

My system : it's a old Gateway Laptop.

Processor: Intel Celeron M 32-bit 1.60GHz

Graphic: ATI Radeon

RAM: SODIMM: 1GB + 512MB but on Windows XP says only 896 MB

Donut

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:06:36 am

ok i will tell it to sean thank you

Donut

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:14:37 am

ok its solved...
sean had something running on the machine
it wasent Zorin
but the goal was to get it to load the os
and bnow its running
Thank you

Wolfman

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:44:06 am

Hi guys,

sounds good, I will take a look at your FB page sometime to see what you have cooking, feel free to post any further questions on this forum should you have any.

Here is a post install guide for Zorin 6 & 7:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Zorin Lite:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

Feel free to post the links on your FB page!.

Donut

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:56:12 pm

Ok Thank you
Wolfman

g2k

Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:34:52 pm

Hi, I had posted a problem in another part of the forum about 6 months ago. I couldn't install Zorin os5 core on my IBM intellistation mpro desktop pc. I got help but to no avail. Today I came across this thread so I thought I would post a picture of where the system hangs. It hangs if I choose try the live cd, it hangs if I choose live cd safe graphics mode, it hangs with zorin os 5 and os 7 newest version burned to cd yesterday, hangs with ubuntu 10.04, 11.10, 12.10. Oddly enough it doesnt hang with puppy linux 5.7.1 but ultimately wont work with anything but the vesa graphics driver. I dont see any options to upload a picture. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks in advance for the help.

Uzi

Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:42:06 pm

g2k wrote:Hi, I had posted a problem in another part of the forum about 6 months ago. I couldn't install Zorin os5 core on my IBM intellistation mpro desktop pc. I got help but to no avail. Today I came across this thread so I thought I would post a picture of where the system hangs. It hangs if I choose try the live cd, it hangs if I choose live cd safe graphics mode, it hangs with zorin os 5 and os 7 newest version burned to cd yesterday, hangs with ubuntu 10.04, 11.10, 12.10. Oddly enough it doesnt hang with puppy linux 5.7.1 but ultimately wont work with anything but the vesa graphics driver. I dont see any options to upload a picture. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks in advance for the help.

Why does the subject line say SOLVED????

Sounds like you have a Graphics card issue. I have had similar issues with some Distros. Try Linux Lite & PClinucOS & see if they work. They did for me or try Zorin Lite.

Upload a picture by using the Upload attachment link at the bottom of the post window. Make sure the file isn't too large.

Uzi

Wolfman

Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:18:38 am

Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Did you press the "Tab" key at the boot menu and type "nomodeset" or "acpi=off" and press enter to see if it would boot?.

Please give us more details of your PC.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:10:57 pm

Uzi wrote:
g2k wrote:Hi, I had posted a problem in another part of the forum about 6 months ago. I couldn't install Zorin os5 core on my IBM intellistation mpro desktop pc. I got help but to no avail. Today I came across this thread so I thought I would post a picture of where the system hangs. It hangs if I choose try the live cd, it hangs if I choose live cd safe graphics mode, it hangs with zorin os 5 and os 7 newest version burned to cd yesterday, hangs with ubuntu 10.04, 11.10, 12.10. Oddly enough it doesnt hang with puppy linux 5.7.1 but ultimately wont work with anything but the vesa graphics driver. I dont see any options to upload a picture. Does anyone know how to do it? Thanks in advance for the help.

Why does the subject line say SOLVED????

Sounds like you have a Graphics card issue. I have had similar issues with some Distros. Try Linux Lite & PClinucOS & see if they work. They did for me or try Zorin Lite.

Upload a picture by using the Upload attachment link at the bottom of the post window. Make sure the file isn't too large.

Uzi

Because the thread was started by Donut:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5078#p24246

I suggest that the thread 'hi-jacker' start another thread! :mrgreen:

g2k

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:52:08 pm

No need to start another thread. I took Uzis' suggestion and tried linuxlite. It worked a treat. Everything worked out of the box, except the "aero snap" feature. There is a fix for that though.

I don't have an "upload" button at the bottom of the quick reply window, but it doesnt matter since linuxlite "solved" my problem. Thank you guys for the help.

g2k

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55:16 pm

I found the upload button...lol Anyway, this was what kept happening.If this happens to you then you need a kernel with built in PAE support.