This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Install freezes due to Nvidia card

Tucup

Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:27:58 pm

[code][/code]

Installing Zorin 64 with an Nvidia GTX590.

This may be of some help to you when installing Zorin. You may encounter freezing or failure to see drive ( in my case RAID drive). Some Nvidia cards can produce this result, as such I recommend you remove it and install a basic graphic card first. complete the install and re install your Nvidia card.

You will find additional drivers under preferences I think. Maybe someone could clarify that one.

Wolfman

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:23:59 am

Hi,

if you have problems with graphics when installing, it is recomended to try either of the following commands at the main menu:

Press "Tab" and type either "nomodeset" or "acpi=off" and then press enter and see if it boots, you are also advised to try booting in "Safe Mode".

Graphics card drivers can be found in either of the following places:

For Zorin 6: System Settings > Hardware > Additional Drivers and select the “Recommended version for your card, install them (“Activate”) and restart your PC. (ATI and Nvidia only!)

In Zorin OS 7, the additional drivers tool is now intergrated in Synaptic, open Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additional Drivers and select the recommended driver, older ATI card drivers may not be available and I advise you to use the onboard drivers if you have an older ATI graphics card!.

For Zorin Lite, see the graphic card drivers section here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Regards Wolfman :D

Tucup

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:25:37 am

That's something I found out later. I personally spent hours trying to fault find the answer. If you don't have access to the internet while installing then maybe some of you may be pleased to know that a quick card swap may help. While setting my Zorin 7 up I had no access to the internet until it was running so had no way of finding this out but remembered Linux had history with Nvidia cards.... In my case this resolved the install issue.
As a novice, it is difficult to remember all the codes.