This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Trim & Swap Partition Recommendations on New SSD

TDPsGM

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:36:02 am

Howdy folks,

Just giving Zorin a spin and I am kinda liking it.

I'd like to set up a LTS option but version 8 sure looks sharp.

What is the procedure for enabling TRIM functionality for the SSD drive?
What size of Swap file would you recommend (it is a Samsung 840 EVO Series Solid State Drive, SATA III, 2.5in, 120GB)?

I am running 8GB of RAM as well with an AMD A8 CPU with 4Mb Cache - not super high end, but more than fast enough I think.

And I THINK I saw a comment about NOT using an ext4 file system . . . that it should be an ext2 file system - is that correct?
What is the reasoning - Journalling I saw, but whats the problem there?

Thanks again.

Looking forward to getting Zorin Roarin ;)

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:48:14 pm

Hi TDPsGM, and Welcome to Zorin! The reasoning behind ext2 is that it will mean your SSD will receive a full life - this is why Netbooks etc had XP Home installed if they came with SSD's (FAT32). I don't know if SSD technology has progressed in that you could install a journalling system - I am not an expert but it is what used to be recommended.

Your Swap size should equal your physical memory so in your case it should be 8 Gb at the END of the drive! :D

I have never owned an SSD so would advise another forum member to respond to the trim issue. :D

TDPsGM

Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:20:34 pm

Thanks for the reply Swarfendor437.

8GB's seems awfully big for a swap file doesn't it?
I don't recall the history of it all, but the fact that the SSD's are so fast now-a-days and the fact that I HAVE 8GB of RAM, does this rule of thumb still apply?

Do I really NEED a Swap partition any more?

If yes, would that Swap partition get "Over used" or "Worn Out" faster than other parts of the Drive?

Thanks for the help.

TDPsGM

Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:42:50 pm

Hey, I found this article and thought it might be useful to those thinking about this:

http://tytso.livejournal.com/61830.html

I am leaning towards using the ext4 file system and simply applying the "noatime mount option".

I am also considering moving /tmp to my RAM

Comments?

Swarfendor437

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:09:00 pm

Hi, you're talking to the wrong guy here I'm afraid - hopefully someone will come along with the information you need! ;)

beerem

Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:05:31 am

I have just install Zorin 9 on my Aspire 5740 laptop with a Samsung SSD 120GB card. My first attempt failed to boot so I changed the SATA setting in BIOS to IDE. Am using 8GB of ram and Zorin installation allocated 8GB swap space. No concerns about anything else. Everything is working really well and FAST.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:21:33 pm

Thanks for sharing beerem! :D

Wolfman

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:23:52 am

TDPsGM wrote:Hey, I found this article and thought it might be useful to those thinking about this:

http://tytso.livejournal.com/61830.html

I am leaning towards using the ext4 file system and simply applying the "noatime mount option".

I am also considering moving /tmp to my RAM

Comments?

Hi,

I found this and it might be worth your while to read, it recommends no swap if you have enough RAM!:

http://www.leaseweblabs.com/2013/07/5-c ... ntu-linux/