This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] zorin 9 amd 64 x2

zio

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:38:03 pm

I cannot seem to get zorin 9 to run on my relatively old Dell dimension c521 PC. It has an amd 64 x2 processor and everytime I try to run the zorin live DVD they lock up. I have tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions. Am I doing something wrong or is zorin ( not compatible with my PC.

Previously, I have successfully installed and and now running Zorin 8 32bit.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:44:34 pm

HI, do you get to see a keyboard with accessibility logo on blue background when booting off DVD? If you do, press the space bar and continue with the Function key options that follow! :D

zio

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:24:00 am

It gets to the screen that gives the option "Try Zorin" or "Install Zorin". I select "Try Zorin". It gets to the normal zorin blue screen. However, the Zorin menu that has a circle with dots that indicates Zorin is loading freezes and then there is nothing that I can do. No mouse function or response. I then have to turn off the computer. I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be very welcome. If I thought it would install OK I would do it since it is currently running with Zorin 8.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:47:04 am

Hi, if you get to that screen you should see some Function key options at the bottom of the screen - go to the F5 menu by pressing F5 on you keyboard and select the 'acpi=off' function, then press the Enter key.

Keep us posted! :D

zio

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:49:45 pm

When I get to the screen "try zorin" there is a menu at the upper right. I initiate the keyboard, get to the function key, press F5 and it returns to the normal keyboard. So, I was not able to follow your suggestion.

When I select "try zorin" the screen eventually changes to what appears to be the normal Zorin display and there is a menu at the bottom right. At the bottom left there is the circle of dots that usually ends with the main menu. However, at that point the system is completely frozen, the dots are no longer moving and I cannot use the keyboard or the mouse. Nothing works.

Please be patient with me. As you can see I only joined the forum in May of this year and installed Zorin 8 just before that time. I really like it and was looking forward to installing Zorin 9 for LTS. I am now very frustrated. Please help.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:15:04 pm

Hi, When you boot you should see a screen similar to this but with no words in the middle:

default.png
default.png (9.23 KiB)
You press space and see something like this:

main screen.jpg

The F numbers are different these days - choose the one that says 'Other Options' - use the down arrow once to 'acpi=off' then press Enter twice! :D

zio

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:00:55 pm

Wow!!! It worked. I can not thank you enough for you help.

The sequence was a little different than you described and when I return into it I'll be sure to record each step for others that might be interested. There were many errors that showed on the screen in the subsequent boot continuation. However, once the zorin screen came up I was able to use Zorin live with the option to install zorin. Would it be safe to actually install zorin using this option?

zio

Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:40:50 pm

More details about how to turn off acpi when having a problem with an AMD 64 processor.

When the first screen comes up press the space bar (exactly as already suggested). A new screen will appear with a choice of all the languages in the middle and a list of function keys at the bottom. At this screen the only function key that works is the F1 (help) key. Press the escape key for a new screen. In the middle of this screen there are several options and at the bottom are the functions keys that now work. Press F6 and you will see a list of options to choose from. They are: acpi=off, noapic, nolapic, edd=on, nodmraid,nomodeset, and free software only. Press enter and you should see an X in front of acpi=off. Press escape to exit the F6 menu. The options in the middle of this screen are:
Try Zorin OS without installing
Install Zorin OS
Check disc for defects
Test menory
Boot from first hard drive
I selected Try Zorin OS without installing and after turning acpi=off as shown above it works great.

My question remains: Would it be safe to select the Install Zorin OS with acpi=off? What are the effects of this after installation?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:23:01 pm

Hi zio, it will all be covered in my video - OpenShot has been continually crashing out on me in Zorin 9 and LXLE! I will get it uploaded this week even if it kills me! :D

zio

Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:03:00 pm

I bit the bullet and installed Zorin 9 along with Zorin 8 and windows XP. It appears to be running just fine --- although somewhat slow. Thanks Swarfendor437 for your great advice.

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:21:39 pm

Glad to be of help where I can friend! :D

Stirlingfan

Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:11:20 am

My situation is very similar .

I successfully installed Zorin 9 lite (32 bit) to a Dell Optiplex 740. However, I discovered that my used Dell had a dual-core 64 bit processor-- so I decided to upgrade to the 64 bit core version of Zorin 9.

The 64bit version of Zorin appeared to install successfully, but the computer hangs up in the boot up process. It hangs shortly after the password entry. At point the the mouse and keyboard are irreversibly locked!

I tried following the advice given here and pressed the space bar many times during the boot process – but nothing stops the boot up process till I type in the password. Then the machine is locked.

I did a little trouble shooting,:
1)Ran a md5 checksum on the downloaded .ISO file . (it checked good)
2)Tried to install both from the USB port and the CD ROM. Both techniques seemed to install just fine, but it always hangs up about 15 seconds after the password entry.
3)Ran a memory test – no errors found.
4)To eliminate the possibility of other hardware problems, I booted from the CD ROM and chose the trial boot. It continues to boot and run fine with 32bit lit version.
5)Verified that the computer was indeed 64 bits with lscpu command in the terminal mode. It is a dual core 64 bit AMD processor.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:59:28 pm

Hi, It sounds to me like it could be a graphics driver issue - if 32-bit ran fine I would stick with that! ;)

Stirlingfan

Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:02:37 pm

I greatly appreciate your input, but this defeats 2 of my reasons for using zorin.

My Dell currently has 2 gig of ram but expands to 8. If I understand it correctly, a 32 bit OS cannot address more than 4 g. I was looking forward to adding more ram and using all 8g.

Another reason for the 64 bit version was to get a real simulation of Win 7. My current understanding is that the 32 bit version has a more limited simulation of win7. I was hoping to get into a win 7 simulation.

Please feel free to correct, if I am missing the point in this area or others.

I have done some studying on the Linux boot up process, but I do not seem to be able to interrupt the process with space bar, escape key or other means. For future projects it would be nice to gain some better insight into this area to be able to trouble shoot the boot up process.

Again, thanks for your input - but I would like to pursue this a bit further even if it means hours of study or troubleshooting.

Stirlingfan.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:09:00 pm

Glad to be of help friend. :D